How Long does it take for Green wood to dry?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • leehljp
    Just me
    • Dec 2002
    • Tunica, MS
    • BT3000/3100

Originally posted by Jim Boyd
    I've seen pics of kilns made out of old refridgerators with a light bulb inside for heat.
    Musta been an awfull wide fridge or they stood mighty short planks up inside.
    Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• caber

Better options under your nose

I was born a yankee and it runs deep in my cheap. If I can save something for later I will do it. If you live in a metro area start looking for import companies for large items like car parts, equipment and machines from abroad.
      most of those pallets and crates are native ( read exotic ) woods. Teac and Mahogany grow like Yellow Pine in Va. Ask them for it. Yes there is some work involved in cleaning it of nails and staples, but its plained and sized. Dry time is cut down from time spent in storage and shipping. I have a few thousand board feet of wood in my shop and it was all free. I have salvaged Black Walnut,Ash,Maple,Sycamore,Cherry and more Red and White Oak than I should have. At this point I only pick out the quarter sawn Oak and clear Cherry. Pallets and crates are a great source of wood. Other great places are pipe suppliers. I work for a company that moves a lot of PVC pipe. The straping braces are mostly Oak and 50% is QS. In any week I will pick out 12-20 pieces 3x2x46 rough sawn but free. I invested in a Ryobi plainer and its amazing to me, firewood in one end and out comes prime lumber. My best find was on a large construction site. The large pipe is delivered and stacked on 5x7 stringers about 8 feet long. In one pile I found a perfect QS White Oak. Trash to them treasure to me. I do have a couple of planks from a crate that I dont know what they are, The biggest clue is when you cut it it smells like a horse barn. Anyone?
      Sorry about the ramble but I get excited about this stuff.
      Bye all,
      Caber

Comment

• BigguyZ
        Veteran Member
        • Jul 2006
        • Minneapolis, MN
        • Craftsman, older type w/ cast iron top

I've heard of using pallets and making usable lumber out of them. I'll have to try once I get a planer and tune my joiner. In the meantime, I may just use the logs for turning some bowls....

Comment

Working...