• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • alpha
    Established Member
    • Dec 2003
    • Owensboro, KY, USA.

Cultured Marble Repair

We have cultured marble cabinet tops in the bathroom that have gotten scratched and are in need of repair. I have a DA buffer for the car that I was thinking of using. Has anyone done this type of repair with a buffer, and if so what product did you use to remove the scratches. Thanks.
  • cabinetman
    Gone but not Forgotten RIP
    • Jun 2006
    • So. Florida
    • Delta

You can use ordinary red automotive rubbing compound to begin with, and finish up with a white automotive polishing compound (the red being more coarse). If you use an electric buffer, you could splatter compound everywhere. You have to be careful with a rotational buffer that you don't heat up the surface. The compounds work better with a small bit of water.

First try it by hand with a smooth "T" shirt type cloth.

Comment

• conwaygolfer
      Established Member
      • Jun 2008
      • Conway, SC.
      • BT3000

Believe it or not, I use toothpaste on my headlight lenses and they look brand new now. Toothpaste is an abrasive, but maybe not enough for the counter top. Wouldn't hurt to try. I placed it on the pad of my all purpose tool and let it do the work. And since it doesn't spin, there was no waste or mess.

Conwaygolfer

Comment

• alpha
        Established Member
        • Dec 2003
        • Owensboro, KY, USA.

Originally posted by cabinetman
        You can use ordinary red automotive rubbing compound to begin with, and finish up with a white automotive polishing compound (the red being more coarse). If you use an electric buffer, you could splatter compound everywhere. You have to be careful with a rotational buffer that you don't heat up the surface. The compounds work better with a small bit of water.

First try it by hand with a smooth "T" shirt type cloth.

Actually I prefer doing it by hand. What brands would I look for?

Comment

• cabinetman
          Gone but not Forgotten RIP
          • Jun 2006
          • So. Florida
          • Delta

Originally posted by alpha
          Actually I prefer doing it by hand. What brands would I look for?
          Depending on which store you shop, they could look like this.

They also come in plastic squeeze bottles. The Rubbing compound would look like this. The wording is a bit differeent than the can, but I think it's the same thing.

The white polishing compound would look like this.

Comment

• alpha
            Established Member
            • Dec 2003
            • Owensboro, KY, USA.

Thanks Cabinetman. I'll try that as soon as I can pick up the materials.

Comment

Working...