• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • greenacres2
    • Dec 2011
    • La Porte, IN
    • Ryobi BT3000

Originally posted by jussi
    I voted more than 8. I think I have an addiction.

1- Festool 1010
    1- Festool mfk 700
    2- Festool 1400
    1- Festool 2200
    3- Dewalt 618 combos
    2- Dewalt 621
    1- Dewalt pk611
    1- Porter Cable 891
    2- Porter Cable 7518 (router tables)
    At 14 routers even a 12-step program might leave you a little short!!

earl

Comment

• pelligrini
      Veteran Member
      • Apr 2007
      • Fort Worth, TX
      • Craftsman 21829

Originally posted by jussi
      I voted more than 8. I think I have an addiction.

1- Festool 1010
      1- Festool mfk 700
      2- Festool 1400
      1- Festool 2200
      3- Dewalt 618 combos
      2- Dewalt 621
      1- Dewalt pk611
      1- Porter Cable 891
      2- Porter Cable 7518 (router tables)
      You do know that you can change bits on those routers... right?
      Erik

Comment

• LCHIEN
        Internet Fact Checker
        • Dec 2002
        • Katy, TX, USA.
        • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by pelligrini
        that's exactly what I was going to post!

Beat me to it.

For all you guys with 8 or more routers: Learn to use the bit changing wrenches!
        Loring in Katy, TX USA
        If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
        BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• cabinetman
          Gone but not Forgotten RIP
          • Jun 2006
          • So. Florida
          • Delta

Some routers are left with certain bits, because they are used constantly. Something like a permanent set up.

Comment

• jussi
            Veteran Member
            • Jan 2007

Originally posted by pelligrini
            I want to make sure I dont wear out the collets. Those things are expensive.

Since im very lazy most of them are used for dedicated tasks. A couple have edge guides, 2 for dovetail jig, 1 for leigh fmt, 1 for dados, and 2 for router tables. Although not dedicated for it, the festool mfk 700 is what I always use or edge banding.
            I reject your reality and substitute my own.

Comment

• LinuxRandal
              Veteran Member
              • Feb 2005
              • Independence, MO, USA.
              • bt3100

Two of the Bosch 1617e*, one of them was the Craftsman branded one on closeout.
              Bosch 1618 D handle
              Two of the Milwaukee 5625 (one was bought on Ebay, as not working when it needed the reset proceedure)
              Porter Cable 690 series, that is around here somewhere.

Then the one that your rules don't allow, the Rotozip, I gave $10 for (and it was swapped under the recall) and the router base they once sold for it (found at a damaged goods store with no damage), that I picked up for $15. (cheaper then a trim router, so it was worth it for one job)
              She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• LCHIEN
                Internet Fact Checker
                • Dec 2002
                • Katy, TX, USA.
                • BT3000 vintage 1999

Still has a few days to run before closing.
                Surprised how many have more than 8 routers... I could have added a few mroe categories.
                assuming that those who said more than 8 have an average of 10...
                so far, 61 respondents owned 253 routers for an average of 4.15 routers per person.
                Loring in Katy, TX USA
                If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.

Comment

• Stytooner
                  Roll Tide RIP Lee
                  • Dec 2002
                  • Robertsdale, AL, USA.
                  • BT3100

Plus two that don't work.
                  Lee

Comment

• gsmittle
                    Veteran Member
                    • Aug 2004
                    • St. Louis, MO, USA.
                    • BT 3100

Originally posted by LCHIEN
                    Still has a few days to run before closing.
                    Surprised how many have more than 8 routers... I could have added a few mroe categories.
                    assuming that those who said more than 8 have an average of 10...
                    so far, 61 respondents owned 253 routers for an average of 4.15 routers per person.
                    Dang! I'm 1.15 routers short! Honey, I need to go shopping!

g.
                    Smit

"Be excellent to each other."
                    Bill & Ted

Comment

• durango dude
                      • Mar 2011
                      • a thousand or so feet above insanity
                      • 50s vintage Craftsman Contractor Saw

Originally posted by gsmittle
                      Dang! I'm 1.15 routers short! Honey, I need to go shopping!

g.
                      Fear not - the median and modal responses are both 3 ----

I'm thinking of calculating a router geni coefficient, though ---- it's scandalous that 9 percent of the population has 24 percent of the routers. This kind of equality is morally wrong.....

I'm calling on Congress to initiate hearings on the equity of router distribution, and am asking them to help resolve the problem of router inequality.
                      Last edited by durango dude; 07-24-2013, 04:01 PM.

Comment

• gsmittle
                        Veteran Member
                        • Aug 2004
                        • St. Louis, MO, USA.
                        • BT 3100

Originally posted by durango dude
                        Fear not - the median and modal responses are both 3 ----

I'm thinking of calculating a router geni coefficient, though ---- it's scandalous that 9 percent of the population has 24 percent of the routers. This kind of equality is morally wrong.....

I'm calling on Congress to initiate hearings on the equity of router distribution, and am asking them to help resolve the problem of router inequality.
                        No clue what the median and modal mean (no need to explain, I won't understand anyway ). What I do understand is that we are the router 99%.

g.
                        Smit

"Be excellent to each other."
                        Bill & Ted

Comment

• durango dude
                          • Mar 2011

Good question -

a median is just what you think it might be - it's the actual middle. (just like the median on a highway).

So - if I give you the numbers 4,5,6 ---- the median (mid-point) is 5 (the same as the average in this case)

The nice thing about medians is that they don't get swayed by weird numbers.

Now --- if I give you the numbers 4,5, and 20 --- the median is still 5 -- even though the average just skyrocketed to 9.67. Market researchers and statisticians like the median and modal values --- they represent "normal" experiences. The "more than 8" router guys are what we call "outliers." We try not to let outliers influence the analysis too much.

A modal response is the most common response. "most woodworkers have 3 routers" would be a statement about the mode of a distribution.

The gini coefficient is an obscure measure of the distribution of resources.
                          It's what economists use when they talk about income inequality.

Comment

• cwsmith
                            Veteran Member
                            • Dec 2005
                            • NY Southern Tier, USA.
                            • BT3100-1

Let me see, I got my first router as a Christmas present way back in the early 70's, IIRC. It was a Craftsman, 315-71480 which was made by Ryobi. It is a relatively small 6.5 amp, single speed with a micrometer like height adjustment, 1/4" collet, and an incandescent bulb mounted on the side to illuminate the base.

Nice tool I thought, but I had never used a router before and I didn't have much need as we were renting back then. So I lent it to my father, who apparently didn't know how to use it either but decided it might be good for trimming Formica counter tops. In any case, I got it back a few years later with the base plate all scraped up, and the "chromium" two-piece bits all burned and chipped. It went into storage and I only pulled it out of the case earlier this year, replace the baseplate and now use it exclusively for dovetailing with the HF dovetail jig.

So, in 2003 I got the Ryobi R161 "combo" with their small router table. That got me quite interested and I found myself using that little table quite a bit. The R161 is also a single speed, 1/4" collet.

The following year I bought the Ryobi 3-base combo which has a fixed, plunge, and D-handle base. It was more powerful, came with several accessories, and a 1/2-inch collet with a 1/4-inch adapter. I really like this set, but the doggone motor housing swelled up after a year and it proved to be a bear to use in either of the fixed bases. I do like it for it's plunge-base though.

I also have the Ridgid 2-base router, receiving it shortly after it was introduced. While I like the unit overall, the plunge base is a bit clumsy for my hands and I prefer the Ryobi 1802 for that purpose. The Ridgid fixed base is ideal for table use and I keep it, almost excluesively in a Rockler table top.

Oh, I also have the first version of the Ridgid trim router. I use it very rarely for trimming corners, routing our hinge placements, etc. It is NOT a comfortable tool to use, IMHO. The adjustment is crude at best and mine works stickily, inspite of disassembly, cleaning, and attempts to loosen it up. The large opening in the side of the base, with no shield, seems to be an accident waiting to remove a finger if I'm not careful. I usually tape some stiff plastic around that part of the base to assure against slipping a finger in there during operation.

So for me, that adds up to five routers with a few extra bases.

CWS
                            Last edited by cwsmith; 07-27-2013, 03:09 PM.
                            Think it Through Before You Do!

Comment

• LCHIEN
                              Internet Fact Checker
                              • Dec 2002
                              • Katy, TX, USA.
                              • BT3000 vintage 1999

it's a really lovely gaussian distribution - statistician's dream - except for those six outlier guys...
                              Attached Files
                              Last edited by LCHIEN; 07-28-2013, 12:18 PM.
                              Loring in Katy, TX USA

Comment

• durango dude
                                • Mar 2011

that there is a pregnant woman laying on her back.

Comment

Working...