X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • josephlor
    Forum Newbie
    • Aug 2005

rip fenc

I own a Ryobi BT3100.Does any one know of a better rip fence? and how to attach a space block on the fence that came with the ryobi
  • Jim Boyd
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2002
    • Montgomery, Texas, USA.
    • Delta Unisaw

The BT3k is know for having one of the best fences in its class. If you are having problems the fine folks here can guide you thru the process of correcting it.
    If you are wanting a spacer block for cross cutting I used a quick grip clamp. Lots of folks attach jigs and such to the fence using the t-slots that are built into it.
    Jim in Texas and Sicko Ryobi Cult Member ©

Comment

• JR
      The Full Monte
      • Feb 2004
      • Eugene, OR
      • BT3000

For fixing jigs and such to the Ryobi rip fence or miter fence, you should consider buying some T-nuts from T-nuts.com. Jeff, the propietor, is a member here and his products have proven to be very useful.

http://t-nuts.com/bt3c/index.shtml

Good luck.

JR
      JR

Comment

• LCHIEN
        Internet Fact Checker
        • Dec 2002
        • Katy, TX, USA.
        • BT3000 vintage 1999

quote:Originally posted by josephlor

I own a Ryobi BT3100.Does any one know of a better rip fence? and how to attach a space block on the fence that came with the ryobi
        Ditto what Jim Boyd said.
        Are you having a problem?
        Or are you a victim of the "contractor saws fences are so bad everyone knows you have to replace them with an aftermarket fence" syndrome?

Loring in Katy, TX USA
        If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
        BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• josephlor
          Forum Newbie
          • Aug 2005

Thanks to every one.Does any body know the size I would have to buy for the t nuts or bolts for a spacer fence?

Comment

• sweensdv
            Veteran Member
            • Dec 2002
            • WI
            • Baileigh TS-1040P-50

quote:Originally posted by LCHIEN
            Or are you a victim of the "contractor saws fences are so bad everyone knows you have to replace them with an aftermarket fence" syndrome?
            I sure hope that you're not saying that the OEM fences that come with all contractor saws are inferior products. Because, if you are, that statement is nothing but incorrect. There are plenty of contractor saws that come with very excellent fence systems as standard equipment.

Comment

• JR
              The Full Monte
              • Feb 2004
              • Eugene, OR
              • BT3000

quote:Originally posted by josephlor

Thanks to every one.Does any body know the size I would have to buy for the t nuts or bolts for a spacer fence?
              I haven't looked at the packages Jeff offers for a while, but I'd suggest getting a mixed bag of some kind. If you take a close look at the rip fence, miter fence and rip fence rails, you'll see several different sizes.

You might drop Jeff an email before buying. He's a great guy and will surely give you straight advice.

JR

BTW - there's nothing wrong with wanting Jeff's nuts. It's one of those things we all have to get over!
              JR

Comment

• lcm1947
                Veteran Member
                • Sep 2004
                • Austin, Texas
                • BT 3100-1

I am building a tall fence to fit against my Ryobi stock rip fence and just bought and got in some fixture blocks from Jeff (T-nuts.com ) and they are extremely uueful for many different things. You might check them out and welcome aboard by the way.
                May you die and go to heaven before the Devil knows you're dead. My Best, Mac

Comment

• LCHIEN
                  Internet Fact Checker
                  • Dec 2002
                  • Katy, TX, USA.
                  • BT3000 vintage 1999

quote:Originally posted by sweensdv

quote:Originally posted by LCHIEN
                  I sure hope that you're not saying that the OEM fences that come with all contractor saws are inferior products. Because, if you are, that statement is nothing but incorrect. There are plenty of contractor saws that come with very excellent fence systems as standard equipment.
                  at one time it was common that the first and an expensive upgrade component to a contractor saw was an aftermarket rip fence. Biesemyer fences were coveted by Delta saw owners... now I believe (someone correct me if I'm wrong) that Delta has bought Biesemeyer and those fences are oem on the good deltas, copies abound for the Jet and others.

Most of them still don't lock down at the rear, there not being standard rear rail. But the BT3100 does, its deflection of the rip fence is minute. The other maker's rip fences usually deflect a measurable amount at the rear, the ones that deflect the least are big, heavy (read costly) rip fences. The three-point alignment/locking of the Ryobi fence is another reason why the BT3 offers great value for the money.

I did not mean to say all contractor fences are junk.
                  What I meant to imply was that perhaps the poster had heard the old adage that the first upgrade to a table saw is a new rip fence.
                  It does not apply to the BT3 and may or may not apply to many or most of the saws now on the market.
                  Loring in Katy, TX USA
                  If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                  BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• Jim-Iowa
                    • Mar 2005
                    • Colfax, Iowa, USA.

If you go to Jeff`s site, He has a description that notes which slots each size T-Nut fits on yout BT.

As a side note, I think many manufactueres are working to improve the issue fences on their saws. That is one plus I have noticed the last 5 yrs in most saws on the market.
                    Sanity is just a one trick pony. Being a bit Crazy is a wide open field of opportunity!

Comment

• LarryG
                      The Full Monte
                      • May 2004
                      • Off The Back
                      • Powermatic PM2000, BT3100-1

quote:Originally posted by JR

BTW - there's nothing wrong with wanting Jeff's nuts. It's one of those things we all have to get over!
                      When I met Otter in Chattanooga to pick up the Ryoborghini, he handed me a baggie full of strange-looking gold and silver hexagon-shaped thingies, explained what they were, and deadpanned, "In other words, you're now holding Jeff's nuts ..." []
                      Larry

Comment

Working...