• Show
Clear All
  • Ken Weaver
    Veteran Member
    • Feb 2004
    • Clemson, SC, USA
    • Rigid TS3650

Oiled vs Oil-less Compressors

I'm going to make the plunge into a compressor soon. Any thoughts on the value or non-value of oiled vs oil-free compressors?
    Ken Weaver
    Clemson, SC

"A mistake is absolute proof that someone tried to do something!
  • Bruce Cohen
    Veteran Member
    • May 2003
    • Nanuet, NY, USA.
    • BT3100

Ken,

Whatever you do, don't make the same mistake I did and buy an oil-less. Way too loud, I mean so loud it can scare the pants off your butt loud. And thats with another large power tool running.

There is no way I'm going to make that mistake again.

Physically, it's a very good compressor, but I get complaints from people in New Jersey

Bruce
    "Western civilization didn't make all men equal,
    Samuel Colt did"

Comment

• Thom2
      Resident BT3Central Research Ass.
      • Jan 2003
      • Stevens, PA, USA.
      • Craftsman 22124

I'm with Bruce on this .... I made the mistake of buying a 60g upright 6hp oil-less from Sears, please don't make the same mistake I did, I've since acquired a Cambell Hausfield 2hp 4 gallon twin tank oiled type and find myself suffering with the use of that rather than running the obnoxious black tank sitting in the corner.

Thom
      gets complaints from NJ too
      If it ain't broke.. don't fix it!!!... but you can always 'hop it up'
      **one and only purchaser of a BT3C official thong**

Comment

• Stan
        • Mar 2004
        • Kalispell, MT, USA.
        • BT3100, Delta 36-717

Started with an oil-less 10 gallon portable compressor from Coleman. As mentioned above -- way too loud. If you live in a residential area, your use would probably be somewhat restricted to 'normal' daylight hours.

I then purchased an oiled version 60 Gallon 7.5 peak h/p at the BORG (Husky Brand), works like a champ and I can can work comfortably in the same room with it when it does fire up (It's in an 8X16 storage room at the back of the shed).
        From the NW corner of Montana.
        http://www.elksigndesigns.com

Comment

• sweensdv
          Veteran Member
          • Dec 2002
          • WI
          • Baileigh TS-1040P-50

I have a 2HP, 4 gal Campbell Hausfeld Contractor Series pancake oilless compressor that I don't find loud at all. During the process of cutting wood and routing, my table saw, circular saw and router are all louder than the compressor. Not only are they lounder but most of the time they also have a longer running time than my compressor does. Where are all the complaints about noisy tools? It's incorrect to state that all oilless compressors are noisy just as it is incorrect to state that all oil lubricated compressors are quiet.

Comment

• messmaker
            Veteran Member
            • May 2004
            • RICHMOND, KY, USA.
            • Ridgid 2424

I have an oil-less version and it works fine. I have left a tool in the chuck which can let a bit of air leak. When it drops low enough --BAM- on comes the compressor in the middle of the night. You find yourself wide awake and looking for the freight train that is comming through your bedroom.
            spellling champion Lexington region 1982

Comment

• LCHIEN
              Internet Fact Checker
              • Dec 2002
              • Katy, TX, USA.
              • BT3000 vintage 1999

While agreeing the oiled ACs are quieter, here's a few reasosn why the oil-less may be of interest:

1. No maintenance - you never have to change the oil or replace it if low. This is good if you are not a frequent user or mostly its used for nail guns and they don't run a lot.

2. The air is clean - there's no oil to remove and to worry about its getting in the air lines to foul your painting equiment-less need for a filter.
              Loring in Katy, TX USA
              If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
              BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• WayneJ
                • Jan 2004
                • Elmwood Park, New Jersey, USA.

I didn't compllain. It wasn't me, besides Thom livs to far away and Bruce aint close enough. There not complaining about my oilless and I like it,it works great. It is LOUD tho. I make sure its turned off when I leave the shop at night.DAMHIKT
                Wayne
                Wayne J

Comment

• jethro
                  Veteran Member
                  • Jan 2003
                  • Newark, DE, USA.

quote:Originally posted by Bruce Cohen

...I get complaints from people in New Jersey.
                  So [u]YOU'RE</u> the one my in-laws in Westwood were complaining about!

And Thom, don't feel bad. You get complaints from Delaware too! []

--------------------
                  jethro.
                  <font size=\"1\">Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig. -- <i>Heinlein</i>
                  http://www.jeffriegner.com</font id=\"size1\">

Comment

• autiger1
                    • Jan 2003
                    • Tampa, Florida, USA.

I have a bostitch oiless...and it is a great little compressor...but the guys are right...it is LOUD! No plans to replace in the immediate future...but when I do, it will be an oiled model.

Tom

Comment

• EMB
                      Forum Newbie
                      • Jun 2003
                      • Tampa, Florida.

I bought a Cambell Hausfield oiled compressor and took it back it was so loud. I then bought a Porter Cable oiless and love it. I also heard the new two stage oiless Porter Cable run and it is quieter than any compressor I have ever heard.

I find the noise is depentant on many things, where the unit is sitting, whether it is earth, concrete, wood or some other material. Also how the unit was built and how the motor and compressor are isolated from the frame etc.

Many will tell you oiled will last longer. That is only true if you take really good care of them and don't abuse them in any way. Living in Florida near the ocean I see compressors used for diving all are oiless and most run and run and run. My buddy bought a dive huhaka, basically a gas motor, oiless compressor and large float. It has two hoses and regulators and you can dive to 30 feet and spend all day. We ran it by the gas tank full and it is over 20 years old and still ticking. This is an oiless compressor running at least an hour and half at a time with out stopping while floating in salt water. Tell me oiless won't last. Ask your dentist they all use oiless compressors and they run and run all day long day in and day out.
                      Ed

Comment

• RayintheUK
                        Veteran Member
                        • Sep 2003
                        • Crowborough, East Sussex, United Kingdom.
                        • Ryobi BT3000

Here's another vote for oil-less. I got this one because it was so quiet:

This is a very quiet Italian-made 4 cylinder compressor with a 90 litre tank, pneumatic wheels, 1425rpm 2.5hp motor and tool tray mounted on top of the cylinder heads. The quiet running of this compressor is very much down to the slow RPM of the 2.5hp motor, not only does it keep noise down, the lifetime of the pump is dramatically extended as it does only half the work of a conventional unit running at twice the speed. The 90 litre tank has two take off points both with quick action PCL fittings, one regulated and one straight from the tank. Unlike many compressors the tank pressure is held at 142psi giving an additional 25% of air which if used on the regulated output means that the reservoir of air held is quite sufficient for most air tools and spray guns, even those that consume large volumes of air. This is an ideal compressor for the workshop in that it is portable and has its own tool storage tray, easy to move around the working area and quite able to bring the air to the job. Supplied with 2 PCL quick action female connectors and air regulator with pressure dial.

Free Air Delivered 12cfm
                        Max Pressure 142psi
                        Motor Power 2.5hp 240v
                        Noise @ 1m 74db (A)
                        Rating Industrial
                        Receiver Volume 90L
                        Supply Required 13 amp
                        Weight 73kg

Ray.
                        Did I offend you? Click here.

Comment

• kwgeorge
                          Veteran Member
                          • Jan 2004
                          • Alvin, TX, USA.

I actually have and use both types of compressors. I have a two cylinder Sandborn out in the shop that I use for pretty much everything including my larger framing nailers. It sure was pain to run the hoses all the way in the house to do trim and finish work though. So I bought a small 2 gallon oil less one that I tote around the house and use with my finish nailers with mostly. Since mine is a rather small unit noise is not that bad and I think it is much quieter than the large one in the shop. In my case they have different uses and I am very happy with both of them.

Comment

• Ken Weaver
                            Veteran Member
                            • Feb 2004
                            • Clemson, SC, USA
                            • Rigid TS3650

I may have a chance to pick up one of these (slightly used) for way, way below list. Plan to use it for general shop use, nailers, cleaning, tires, etc. May use it for framing nailer next year or so when I build the storage shed. Any thoughts?

Internet ID: 165058
                            Manufacturer: Abacaria
                            Model #: HTS3005OLBD
                            Air Delivery: 6.4/4.6 SCFM at 40/90 PSI
                            Engine Horsepower: 3 peak/1.9 running
                            Full Roll Cage: protective cage
                            Included Accessories: protective cage, heavy-duty couplers, metal housing gauges
                            Max Air Pressure Delivery: 135 PSI
                            MFG Name: Abacaria
                            Power Requirement: electric
                            Tank Capacity: 5 gal
                            Tank Pressure Gauge: metal housing guage
                            Type: Oil lubricated
                            UPC CODE: 840534010348
                            Working Pressure Gauge: metal housing guage
                            Ken Weaver
                            Clemson, SC

"A mistake is absolute proof that someone tried to do something!

Comment

• silverfox
                              Veteran Member
                              • Jul 2003
                              • Richland Center WI, USA.
                              • BT3100

Bottom line...an oiler will outlast an oiless 4 to 1.
                              Mike

Comment

Working...