• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • lkazista
    Established Member
    • Jan 2004
    • Nazareth, PA, USA.

SawStop

Fellas, I know this saw has been discussed on this board in the past, but I did a search here and found no one giving the URL for the demo of the machine. Fairly amazing, I would certainly check this out.

www.sawstop.com

Click on the Demo button and watch.

Lee Kazista
  • stewchi
    Established Member
    • Apr 2003
    • Chattanooga, TN.

Here are 2 of the larger discussions on this topic,

http://www.bt3central.com/forum/topi...Terms=,sawstop

http://www.bt3central.com/forum/topi...Terms=,sawstop

Comment

• germdoc
      Veteran Member
      • Nov 2003
      • Omaha, NE
      • BT3000--the gray ghost

I've thought about this a lot. I like the saw and my wife has actually been after me to think about it ("I like a man with all his fingers..."), but the price is too high IMO to get a well-equipped contractor saw, esp. compared to the Craftsman hybrid saws, for instance. So, unless I fall into an extra $1000 or so (ain't gonna happen with college costs beginning next year) I won't be biting.

Jeff

“Doctors are men who prescribe medicines of which they know little, to cure diseases of which they know less, in human beings of whom they know nothing”--Voltaire

Comment

• autiger1
        • Jan 2003
        • Tampa, Florida, USA.

I have been debating (with myself) this very subject. For the money, I like the new Powermatic 2000. For about $2100 you get everything you need, including a built in mobile base. SawStop Starts at $2700 + Extras and Shipping...probably puts you in the $3500+ Ball Park with no mobile base. BUT, 1 trip to the ER....or 1 missing digit make the price well worth it. I have two small children that I would eventually like to get into the shop....and their saftey is paramount. But again....that is only one machine. My bandsaw would take off your finger just as fast as the tablesaw.

See - I'm still debating with myself.

Your thoughts????????

Tom

Comment

• lkazista
          Established Member
          • Jan 2004
          • Nazareth, PA, USA.

Well, first off, I beleive if you do anything enough, then everything will eventually happen to you. IE - if you drive 200,000 miles a year, sooner or later you will be involved in an accident. Whether it is your fault or not. Your shop is the same way. Ofcourse the Sawstop won't prevent kickback and other things that could really ruin your day, but like airbags, it sure does help with the big stuff. I guess it is cost preference, at this point I use my tablesaw a few times a month, not often enough to justify a $3,000 purchase. Besides I still need OTHER tools before I can go overboard on one purchase. BUT if I do ever find the time to be in my shop more often, and I have already acuired my Drill Press, planer, jointer, and dust collector, and I am ready to go and buy that UniSaw, then you'd better believe that I will want to save a little longer and get the Safe Saw.

A bandsaw could take off a finger, but not as easily as a tablesaw. Actually the tool in the shop that makes me most nervous is a handheld router. I am always afraid that I will get 'too relaxed' and poke a hold in my gut when putting it down or something.

I did not even start this thread for the conversation as much as I could not get over whatthe demo looks like on their website. It is CRAZY how the blade stops/disappears into the table instantly.

Lee Kazista

Comment

• Ken Weaver
            Veteran Member
            • Feb 2004
            • Clemson, SC, USA
            • Rigid TS3650

I've thought about the same things - but it comes down to focus, focus, focus, focus, focus. I can see more use for it in a production shop where the pressures might make someone get rushed (in the AF we called it "heads in the cockpit") and not pay enough attention. As serious hobbyists, we're in a position to think things through before we do them, at least that's what I try to do. I guess there's no way around the freak accident, but I try to control everything I can and if I can't, I stop. Bottom line is I have to, I couldn't afford a SawStop so I have to do everything else I can.
            Ken Weaver
            Clemson, SC

"A mistake is absolute proof that someone tried to do something!

Comment

• hitekrednek
              Established Member
              • Jan 2004
              • Ft Worth, TX, USA.
              • BT3100

After almost cutting off a finger last summer, I thought really hard about the saw stop quite a bit and I'm still not convinced that it will perform as claimed with a real body part involved.
              I can only please one person a day ........

Hugh C.

Comment

• WEG
                Established Member
                • Nov 2003
                • Nahant, MA.

Hi Folks;
                Has anyone seen one of these beasts to report on the quality of the saw? Is it like a Unisaw? a Hybrid? Fence system? Boy, if only it was about $1000 cheaper... .
                Tom, you make some good points about safety and costs compared to cutting a finger off...and kids! Jeez, makes you not want to let the kids in the shop! Maybe a rich relative will buy me one for my birthday...yeah, right! In the meantime, I'm with Ken about keeping your head in the game and if it don't feel right, stop and think it over again...
                Be safe all of you...
                WEG

Comment

• wassaw998
                  • Jul 2004
                  • Atlanta, GA, USA.

There are two Saw Stop TS models, one is a true cabinet saw (not a hybrid), and the other is a Contractors Saw. I believe the Contractors Saw will run around $700 (based on reports I read a while back) so that is not that far from a "normal" Contractors Saw pricing. The Cabinet saw "base unit" is $2,799 and best I can tell, that does not even include a fence, so you will be in the 3K range on a fully equipped Cabinet saw.

Regarding Quality, the Cabinet saw reviews I have seen have done well, but always mention is made that it is a bit pricey. I have not seen any reviews on the Contractors saw, nor do I believe it is out yet (ie, not sure you can buy one today). I think it is safe to say (no pun intended) that the Cab saw is of very high quality.

I have also seen reports of actual real people who have hit hands / fingers on the Cab saw and the saw did indeed perform as claimed.

Regarding is it worth the price and all that, that's another topic, but it is a very neat concept, which appears to indeed work in practice, and for sure, were I to have a TS accident where my hand hit the blade, I'd sure wish it were on a saw with such a safety feature.
                  Chris

Comment

• lkazista
                    Established Member
                    • Jan 2004
                    • Nazareth, PA, USA.

quote:Originally posted by hitekrednek

After almost cutting off a finger last summer, I thought really hard about the saw stop quite a bit and I'm still not convinced that it will perform as claimed with a real body part involved.
                    Have any of you actually looked at the demo with the hot dog?

Comment

• LarryG
                      The Full Monte
                      • May 2004
                      • Off The Back
                      • Powermatic PM2000, BT3100-1

The inventor of the SawStop has tested the device on his own finger.

Reportedly it took him a VERY long time to work up the nerve to stick his finger into a moving blade ... gee, ya think?!? ... but he did, and the device worked as advertised.

I'll try to find the link with the write-up on this.

EDIT: This article is not the one I was thinking of, but it'll do. Third paragraph.
                      Larry

Comment

• Marc
                        Forum Newbie
                        • Nov 2005
                        • Hamburg, NY.

I'm not sure that SawStop has worked through all it reliabilty bugs yet. I read a story somewhere that a dado blade was destroyed during a test because a sensor was "fooled." I'm not sure I would like to replace an expensive dado blade as well as a new saw cartridge everytime the stopping mechanism misfires.
                        \"Education is what you have left over after you have forgotten everything you have learned.\"

Comment

• leehljp
                          Just me
                          • Dec 2002
                          • Tunica, MS
                          • BT3000/3100

quote:Originally posted by Ken Weaver

I've thought about the same things - but it comes down to focus, focus, focus, focus, focus. I can see more use for it in a production shop where the pressures might make someone get rushed (in the AF we called it "heads in the cockpit") and not pay enough attention. As serious hobbyists, we're in a position to think things through before we do them, at least that's what I try to do. I guess there's no way around the freak accident, but I try to control everything I can and if I can't, I stop. Bottom line is I have to, I couldn't afford a SawStop so I have to do everything else I can.
                          Ken, I agree with you 100 percent!

I will say that we had one member a year or so ago that was against safety features because it detracted from the "focus" aspect. He chided us for "painting the red line". He said it caused us to become lax and depending on the "safety feature" instead of focus. Focus, Focus, focus is an absolute necessity, but safety features within reason sure help too.

Within Reason: That is why Lee Styron's Shark Guard is so much of a safety feature. The stock guard on most saws are so cumbersome and time consuming to take off and put back on that most people leave it off. The Saw Stop is very expensive and the replacement cartridges are expensive "beyond reason" for most people too, considering how it can be falsely tripped.

A review a year or so ago said that green/wet wood causes it to trip at times too. That is unacceptable for me.
                          Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• Bob Webb
                            Established Member
                            • Feb 2003
                            • Garland, TX.

There is a informative write up on this saw in one of the recent mags I recently received. Don't remember which one. Will look when I get home tonight.

The crux of the report is that it is overpriced and in some instances did not work as advertised. Mainly, the stopping action was engaged without any "meat".

Apparently there are several "fixes" to be or have been made. If you are serious about this saw I would wait until it has been more widely distributed and has an operating history.

Will be back tonight with more info.

Comment

• lkazista
                              Established Member
                              • Jan 2004
                              • Nazareth, PA, USA.

So I guess I railroaded my own tread. I really did not start this thread to discuss the Saftey of the saw, but rather to discuss the engineering behind it. When you see the demo of the hot dog touching the blade, it is truly shocking how quickly the blades stops and drops.

Lee

Comment

Working...