• Show
Clear All
  • Knottscott
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2004
    • Rochester, NY.
    • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

quote:Originally posted by LarryG
    ...(BTW, although I cannot prove it, I am highly suspicious that the 1-1/2HP unit from Penn State is identical to the HF 2HP, except for the red paint job.)
    The PSI DC2V2 claims an 11" impeller. The HF's is more like 10.5". Plus the blower housings look a bit different and they come with different bags. The PSI has 1 micron bags and offers 40' of hose. They definitely have different price tags too! At $170 delivered stock and $360 delivered, the difference is substantial. When comparably equipped with better bags and hose, the price difference narrows to roughly $280 to $360.

Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

• LCHIEN
      Internet Fact Checker
      • Dec 2002
      • Katy, TX, USA.
      • BT3000 vintage 1999

quote:Originally posted by Dustmight

quote:Originally posted by LarryG
      ...(BTW, although I cannot prove it, I am highly suspicious that the 1-1/2HP unit from Penn State is identical to the HF 2HP, except for the red paint job.)
      The PSI DC2V2 claims an 11" impeller. The HF's is more like 10.5". Plus the blower housings look a bit different and they come with different bags. The PSI has 1 micron bags and offers 40' of hose. They definitely have different price tags too! At $170 delivered stock and $360 delivered, the difference is substantial. When comparably equipped with better bags and hose, the price difference narrows to roughly $280 to $360.
      I agree that they're not exactly the same.
      DC's are pretty much copies, there's a basic design, no castings (maybe the impellor?), all sheet metal, no special features, it takes relatively little design effort to copy the sheet metal.

There's a lot of factories in the world, a lot of engineers think they can cut some corners and make it cheaper, a lot of copying goes on. I don't think the "it's made in the same factory as brand X" is as prevalent as lots of people claim.

OTOH, that Grizzly DP table and the MLCS DP table look suspiciously similar...
      Loring in Katy, TX USA
      If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
      BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• LarryG
        The Full Monte
        • May 2004
        • Off The Back
        • Powermatic PM2000, BT3100-1

I was thinking not of that one, but this one:

http://www.pennstateind.com/store/dc2000b.html

However I now see that I confused the specs of one with the picture of the other.

The motor and bags are different but those are bolt-on components. Otherwise, you gotta admit that the sheet metal looks awfully similar; in fact, to me it looks identical. The base plate is the same for both: 22" x 33", and the PSI looks like it would have the same caster interference problem as the HF. The inlets are the same: two 4" into one 5". The PSI unit claims a 12" impeller; I don't know whether a 12" would fit inside the HF's housing but from what I remember when I had the cover plate off, I'm thinking it might.
        Larry

Comment

• ddamoore
          Established Member
          • Jun 2003
          • Oklahoma City, OK, USA.
          • Craftsman (Ridgid 3612 Clone)

quote: The PSI has 1 micron bags and offers 40' of hose. They definitely have different price tags too! At $170 delivered stock and $360 delivered, the difference is substantial. When comparably equipped with better bags and hose, the price difference narrows to roughly $280 to $360.

Here is another price/value comparison to make...with the available discounts applied (savon420) the JDS Dust-Force with the spun-filter canister & plastic bag can arrive at your door for...

Items: $474.94
          Shipping & Handling: $67.53
          Super Saver Discount: -$67.53
          Promotion Applied: -$80.00
          Order Total: $394.94

Motor . 1.5 HP
          Max CFM . 1250
          Fan. . 11"
          Inlet . 1-5"/2-4"
          Decibels . 67-77 dB
          Electrical . 115/230 (Switch Pre-wired for 115V)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...lance&n=228013
          Dennis

"Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects" - Will Rogers

Comment

• Knottscott
            Veteran Member
            • Dec 2004
            • Rochester, NY.
            • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

quote:Originally posted by ddamoore
            ...Here is another price/value comparison to make...with the available discounts applied (savon420) the JDS Dust-Force with the spun-filter canister & plastic bag can arrive at your door for...

Items: $474.94
            Shipping & Handling: $67.53
            Super Saver Discount: -$67.53
            Promotion Applied: -$80.00
            Order Total: $394.94

Motor . 1.5 HP
            Max CFM . 1250
            Fan. . 11"
            Inlet . 1-5"/2-4"
            Decibels . 67-77 dB
            Electrical . 115/230 (Switch Pre-wired for 115V)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...lance&n=228013
            If you tack the free DeWalt reciprocating saw code onto that, you've really got a nice deal going.
            Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

• Jeffrey Schronce
              Veteran Member
              • Nov 2005
              • York, PA, USA.

Get Jet DC-1100CK with Filter Canister Free (549.99 value), $50 main in rebate on same, Free Dewalt 303, $80 off using Saveon code. All you have to do to get all of this is buy Powermatic 8" Parallelogram Jointer for $1700 or $1500 Jet Tablesaw. Of course you could always go with Powermatic 66 at $2150 . . .

Acutally it probably is a pretty good deal if you are in need of one of these larger tools.
              550 - DC
              50 - Rebate
              50 - Dewalt 303
              80 - Saveon

$710 worth of discounts/product off of $1500 Jet 3hp saw is not that bad of a deal.

Comment

• wassaw998
                • Jul 2004
                • Atlanta, GA, USA.

quote:Originally posted by jxyoung

Craftsman micro torque wrench $26 off. Now $48. 9/16 to 9/18
                I would consider something else.
                These do not have lifetime warranty, Husky@HD,and HF ones do. I have both and the Husky is better in 1/2" drive size due to 250
                Chris

Comment

• Never2old2start
                  Established Member
                  • Oct 2005
                  • Orlando, Florida, USA.
                  • BT3100

quote:Originally posted by jxyoung

Craftsman micro torque wrench $26 off. Now $48. 9/16 to 9/18
                  I would consider something else.
                  These do not have lifetime warranty, Husky@HD,and HF ones do. I have both and the Husky is better in 1/2" drive size due to 250

Comment

Working...