• Larry David
    Forum Newbie
    • Jan 2006
    • Maryland.

Mortiser

quote:Originally posted by jxyoung

Craftsman micro torque wrench $26 off. Now $48. 9/16 to 9/18
    I would consider something else.
    These do not have lifetime warranty, Husky@HD,and HF ones do. I have both and the Husky is better in 1/2" drive size due to 250
  • MikeMcCoy
    • Nov 2004
    • Moncks Corner, SC, USA.
    • Delta Contractor Saw

Mortiser

These do not have lifetime warranty, Husky@HD,and HF ones do. I have both and the Husky is better in 1/2" drive size due to 250

Comment

• BobSch
      • Aug 2004
      • Minneapolis, MN, USA.
      • BT3100

Bob

Bad decisions make good stories.

Comment

• LCHIEN
        Internet Fact Checker
        • Dec 2002
        • Katy, TX, USA.
        • BT3000 vintage 1999

Loring in Katy, TX USA
        If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
        BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• MikeMcCoy
          • Nov 2004
          • Moncks Corner, SC, USA.
          • Delta Contractor Saw

Originally posted by BobSch
          I borrowed a set from my local tool supplier (Can't do that at the BIRG) that were Shop Fox and they fit fine so I would assume that the Grizzley or others would fit also. As long as they are held in the shaft by a lock screw they should work.

Comment

• Ken Weaver
            Veteran Member
            • Feb 2004
            • Clemson, SC, USA
            • Rigid TS3650

I just set up my new Delta 14-651. Have only done one quick test cut and it beats forstner and chisels. I'm getting ready to do some heavy duty mission style projects and I think this will make it a lot easier than my first experience on my office table. I got it from Amazon for $229. Bought it after much research and FWW review put my decision over the top.
            Ken Weaver
            Clemson, SC

"A mistake is absolute proof that someone tried to do something!

Comment

• Pappy
              The Full Monte
              • Dec 2002
              • San Marcos, TX, USA.
              • BT3000 (x2)

Most tool dealers will admit that the bits/chisels that come with most machines are pretty much junk made somewhere in the Orient. They can be honed and will do the job, but don't hold an edge very long.

Good quality sets are made from Austrian steel by Fisch and aren't that expensive. I would make sure they will fit the machine you are buying so you can upgrade later on.
              Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
              Fools because they have to say something.
              Plato

Comment

• Larry David
                Forum Newbie
                • Jan 2006
                • Maryland.

Ken, thanks for your relevant response. I am leaning toward the Delta mortiser that you have.

Regarding some of the other replies talking about Harbor Freight mortisers, I visited a HF store last week to look at a dust collector and other than maybe some clamps, furniture dollies or a tape measure I can't see spending any money there at all let alone on power tools. Sorry If I offended anyone but the quality of the power tools and most other merchandise is questionable at best.

Comment

• LarryG
                  The Full Monte
                  • May 2004
                  • Off The Back
                  • Powermatic PM2000, BT3100-1

Harbor Freight can be a crapshoot, indeed.

I also have the Delta 14-651. I've had it a while longer than Ken, but like him have really not done much more than make some tests and play around. Still, I like what I've seen thus far and am looking forward to some projects on which I can stretch its legs.

The phrase "caveat emptor" was seemingly devised with Harbor Freight in mind. Some of their stuff isn't worth dragging home if they gave it to you for free. But there are many, many items that have proven themselves to be of astonishingly good quality ... not just for the money, but in some cases pretty darned good regardless of price.

Unless you're an incurable brand-name snob (an affliction I struggle with myself, at times), I would suggest you not be too quick to write them off because you can save a LOT of money equipping your shop with prudent purchases at Harbor Freight. It's also a good source for consumables like nitrile gloves, sanding pads, acid brushes, etc. Among the members here is a fairly comprehensive mental data base of what HF stuff is good, and what is not. If a particular item interests you, post a question and you'll generally get lots of responses on whether to buy or avoid that item.
                  Larry

Comment

• greencat
                    Established Member
                    • Dec 2005
                    • Grand Haven Mi

I would agree with Larry. I have 5 air nailers. 3 are from HF (affectionly known as the Chinese Tool Shop). The other 2 are Bostitch which I got at deep discount. The Bostitch are clearly better made but all of them drive nails as designed. I purchased the HF framing nailer for $88 and drove over 500 nails with only one jam last summer. I couldn't justify buying a $350 nailer that I may only use once a year. Think how many tools I could buy with the savings. Now I sound like my wife when she buys something on sale.
                    Thanks again,
                    Mike

Comment

• LCHIEN
                      Internet Fact Checker
                      • Dec 2002
                      • Katy, TX, USA.
                      • BT3000 vintage 1999

HF not all bad

Originally posted by Larry David
                      Ken, thanks for your relevant response. I am leaning toward the Delta mortiser that you have.

Regarding some of the other replies talking about Harbor Freight mortisers, I visited a HF store last week to look at a dust collector and other than maybe some clamps, furniture dollies or a tape measure I can't see spending any money there at all let alone on power tools. Sorry If I offended anyone but the quality of the power tools and most other merchandise is questionable at best.
                      Like Larry G and Greencat, I would not write off HF.
                      They are a player for those on this board for sure. We have (and you might do a search) had threads several times on the what the good value items and what the dogs are at HF. It's quite variable. My personal gem is the stainless steel digital calipers - well made and finished and the equal of more expensive mitutoyos in my comparisons for only $16 for the 6" model. (Stay away from the plastic model for $10).

But personally, I would not buy their mortiser.
                      Last edited by LCHIEN; 02-15-2006, 08:57 AM.
                      Loring in Katy, TX USA
                      If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                      BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• JSUPreston
                        Veteran Member
                        • Dec 2005
                        • Montgomery, AL.
                        • Delta 36-979 w/Biesemyere fence kit making it a 36-982. Previous saw was BT3100-1.

Warning: Slightly OT

You do have to be careful purchasing stuff @ HF. MIL bought me a recip saw there. Used it twice before putting it back in the box. Didn't need it for about two years. When I pulled it out, only the handle came. The rest of the saw stayed in the box. Needless to say, the casing gave way. I swore up & down "No more HF tools for me!"

Fast forward to last week. I need a hammer drill some kind of bad. I'm rewiring my shop, and my wife's grandfather built it out of concrete block (my kids are the 4th generation of her family in this house). Hammer drill on sale at HF for 26.99. Had the 20% off coupon. I figure rental of a hammer drill would be at least $20 a day, and I know I'll need it more than one day. I bought the drill and some pipe clamps that got good reviews here.

Used the drill yesterday afternoon. How did I ever live without one of these things? I was able to do more in one hour with a masonry bit in this thing than I could do in 3 with a regular corded drill. When this thing dies, I've got to get another!

Back OT: I've seen several good reviews on here for both the mortiser and the bandsaw at HF. I personally went for the new Euro saw at Sears. I don't have a mortiser yet, but I might consider the HF. The main complaint I've heard about it is the fence, so be careful.
                        "It's a dog eat dog world out there, and I'm wearing Milk-Bone underwear."- Norm (from Cheers)

Eat beef-because the west wasn't won on salad.

Comment

• maxparot
                          Veteran Member
                          • Jan 2004
                          • Mesa, Arizona, USA.
                          • BT3100 w/ wide table kit

I have many HF tools both power and hand tools. I also have high quality name brand tools. I purchase according to needs knowing the risks of buying bargain basement tools. I justify the bargain tools as just getting started or limited use. I have been collecting tools for over 25 years this way and Harborfreight has been a great source. I still have many old HF Centralmachine, Centralpneumatic, Centralelectric tools. They accomplished the prodject they were purchased for and have served well on many others. I understand the frustration that many people have with these tools (quality control isn't the best but has gotten better over the years) I have dealt with HF as both a mail order company and a brick & mortar and I'd say for people that can only use mail order more caution should be used. But if a retail store is available to you saving some serious dollars on good value tools is possible. Just consider you many need to make extra trips to return/exchange defective or bad tools.
                          Opinions are like gas;
                          I don't mind hearing it, but keep it to yourself if it stinks.

Comment

• JimD
                            Veteran Member
                            • Feb 2003
                            • Lexington, SC.

I agree with Loring, their mortiser is not one of the better tools at HF. On the other hand, their C-clamps are great deals, their pipe clamps are fine, and their calipers, as Loring said, great deals - especially for woodworking where absolute accuracy is no big deal.

I use a Jet mortiser which works fine. I've made interior doors, tables, and other stuff with my mortiser. The pneumatic cylinder that is supposed to return the handle to the upper position failed early but I have gotten by without replacing it. Otherwise, it works fine. it is much faster to cut mortises with a dedicated mortiser than any other way I have used - except perhaps if you need a bunch of identical mortises in identical parts and can make a jig for a plunge router.

Jim

Comment

Working...