X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kayakee

New BT3100 quality

Hi

I'm a new BT3100-1 owner and happy working with this saw bench.

When I set-up the bench from the box last week-end, I had 2 issues.

First, when I tight the bolts attaching the saw to the work stand, one of the bolt break.
    I was so surprised. This bolt is probably a poor quality bolt as the china bolt.

Second, when at was at the alignment of the Sliding miter table, I was not able to adjust it correctly until I found that the problem came from the brand new blade. The blade was simply warped. During the time I tried to fix the issue, I receive help from a bt3100 forum user and discover that his original blade was Made in Italy (The Freud blade). Looking at my blade, it is write Made in China.

Is the new lower price of the bt3100 is due in reducing the quality of the product?
    Last edited by Guest; 02-19-2006, 11:16 AM.
  • sacherjj
    Not Your Average Joe
    • Dec 2005
    • Indianapolis, IN, USA.
    • BT3100-1

I have the BT3100-1, purchased late in 2005. My blade was Made in Italy and cut very well. It isn't quite as nice as the Woodworker II, but nice.
    Joe Sacher

Comment

• Ken Weaver
      Veteran Member
      • Feb 2004
      • Clemson, SC, USA
      • Rigid TS3650

Next time I'm in the BORG I'll have a look at the blade on the display model. Haven't heard that they've changed their blade but its an interesting question. The bolts on the stand don't need much torque so if you muscled it, it very easily have done that. Not necessarily a quality issue. Stand bolts are easy to find a replacement for.
      Ken Weaver
      Clemson, SC

"A mistake is absolute proof that someone tried to do something!

Comment

• LCHIEN
        Internet Fact Checker
        • Dec 2002
        • Katy, TX, USA.
        • BT3000 vintage 1999

that would be a shame if they substituted a poorer quality blade for the Freud Italian-made blade. Maybe the product of relentless price slashing to a $250 price point. When I got my BT3000 in 1999 I paid $400. Some buyers in the mid-90's paid $600.
        I guess the low price has sold many of these saws, judging from the chorus of people rejoicing at the price drops and rebates, but still, you can't slash too much and still have the same product.
        Loring in Katy, TX USA
        If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
        BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• Larry David
          Forum Newbie
          • Jan 2006
          • Maryland.

I just checked my brand new saw...It has a made in China blade!! So far it seems to cut well.

I'm going to HD today to look at their display model. However, the saw on display has been there for many, many months and may have the Freud blade and is probably not representative as to what is currently being packaged by Ryobi.

Comment

• Knottscott
            Veteran Member
            • Dec 2004
            • Rochester, NY.
            • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

Originally posted by Larry David
            I just checked my brand new saw...It has a made in China blade!! So far it seems to cut well.

I'm going to HD today to look at their display model. However, the saw on display has been there for many, many months and may have the Freud blade and is probably not representative as to what is currently being packaged by Ryobi.
            If the HD's display model has the Italian made blade, it'd be worth a try asking if you can swap since that's not the blade that you expected. The Freud blades are pretty nice.
            Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

• Russianwolf
              Veteran Member
              • Jan 2004
              • Martinsburg, WV, USA.
              • One of them there Toy saws

So that jacks the price back up to $300. $250 for the saw and $50 for the "correct" blade. It's still a bargain of a saw IMO.
              Mike
              Lakota's Dad

If at first you don't succeed, deny you were trying in the first place.

Comment

• LarryG
                The Full Monte
                • May 2004
                • Off The Back
                • Powermatic PM2000, BT3100-1

Originally posted by Russianwolf
                So that jacks the price back up to $300. $250 for the saw and $50 for the "correct" blade.
                Or $321 total ... that's $250 for the saw, plus $71 for a Forrest Woodworker II Thin-Kerf ($81 less the $10 discount for a $75 purchase under the current round of promotions at amazon.com).
                Larry

Comment

• Sawatzky
                  Established Member
                  • Apr 2005
                  • CA
                  • Ridgid TS3650

I also have the BT3100-1 and the blade does say "made in china." I was surprised because I too thought it was a Freud blade. Maybe that is why I never thought it cut as well as everyone claimed the stock blade cut. Interesting!

Comment

• kayakee

Yes Sawatzky, it will be interresting to see what this post will grow related to this situation.

As mentionned, I'm satisfied with my bt3100-1 and I read so many great comment for this saw. However, it seem that the blade is now made in china. Do other parts are now made by them?. It is very hard to known since I don't have an older model to compare. and it is also nice to compare an apple with an apple specially if we have a problem. So if some part of this product are now different, well....
                    Last edited by Guest; 02-15-2006, 01:28 PM.

Comment

• maxparot
                      Veteran Member
                      • Jan 2004
                      • Mesa, Arizona, USA.
                      • BT3100 w/ wide table kit

Originally posted by kayakee
                      Yes Sawatzky, it will be interresting to see what this post will grow related to this situation.

As mentionned, I'm satisfied with my bt3100-1 and I read so many great comment for this saw. However, it seem that the blade is now made in china. Do other parts are now made by them?. It is very hard to known since I don't have an older model to compare. and it is also nice to compare an apple with an apple specially if we have a problem. So if some part of this product are now different, well....
                      I would think that Ryobi just found a cheaper deal on blades and decided to increase the profit margin. Or maybe that is why the price dropped $50.
                      Opinions are like gas;
                      I don't mind hearing it, but keep it to yourself if it stinks.

Comment

• evgenyb
                        Forum Newbie
                        • Jan 2006
                        • Folsom, CA, USA.

My BT3100-1 has "made in China" as well. I'm a new to WW, so I consider the cut as good. Now if anybody can compare these blades - it might be actually close to the original, can it be?

Comment

• LarryG
                          The Full Monte
                          • May 2004
                          • Off The Back
                          • Powermatic PM2000, BT3100-1

China, or Taiwan?

I presume you mean it literally says, "Made In China"? And is this on the saw itself, or just the blade?

The serial number plate on my BT3100-1, which I bought circa May 2004, says "Made In Taiwan." [ERRONEOUS STATEMENT DELETED HERE] when speaking of tools many people (myself included) consider "China" to mean mainland China and often highly dubious quality, whereas the stuff from Taiwan is generally quite good.

I don't recall ever seeing a country of origin on the blade itself. I'll look tonight.
                          Last edited by LarryG; 02-17-2006, 09:06 AM.
                          Larry

Comment

• evgenyb
                            Forum Newbie
                            • Jan 2006
                            • Folsom, CA, USA.

I mean the blade, because I noticed that when I was assembled it. Don't know about the saw itself, but can look back home tonight.

Comment

• WY
                              Forum Newbie
                              • Feb 2004
                              • Irvine, CA.

i purchased my saw in early 2004 which was made in taiwan and it has a made in china blade so i dont think the price reduction necessarily reflects a recent change in cost of manufacturing. the only other blades i have to compare it to are a couple of dewalt blades i purchased from home depot. the stock blade performs just as well if not better than the dewalt ones. dont know if that means the quality is good or bad but i havent had any problems; could be that i don't know any better. with tools being made in various parts of the world, i don't think made in china automatically equates to poor quality.
                              - William Yeh

Comment

Working...