Forum Problem (11:00pm Eastern 2/14/2006)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Sam Conder
    Woodworker Once More
    • Dec 2002
    • Midway, KY
    • Delta 36-725T2

Forum Problem (11:00pm Eastern 2/14/2006)

Preliminary investigation appears that I have hosed the DB. It looks very widespread. I'm feeling sick and must go to bed. I hope to have more information tomorrow, but I won't have time to look at it until I get off work at 5:00pm Eastern.

Sorry folks, looks like I screwed up bigtime.
    Sam Conder
    BT3Central's First Member

"I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work." -Thomas A. Edison
  • rickd
    Established Member
    • Jan 2004
    • Cowichan Bay, 30 mi. north of Victoria, B.C., Canada.
    • Ryobi BT3100

hey sam, relax - go to bed and get a good nights rest!! you deserve it!!

nothings so bad that it can't be fixed i'm sure. you didn't "screw-up" big time at all - you've done a terrific job and i'm sure this will turn out to be some little bug that you will resolve after taking some time to rest.

i really appreciate the great work you have done - migrations are never easy, never simple - and something ALWAYS goes wrong. Murphy Lives!!
    rick doyle

Rick's Woodworking Website

Comment

• Sam Conder
      Woodworker Once More
      • Dec 2002
      • Midway, KY
      • Delta 36-725T2

It is confirmed. We have a total of 165499 posts that have accidentally been overwritten with the text everybody has been reporting.

It gets worse. In my excitement and anxiety, I neglected to edit my database backup routine to include the vew vBulletin database. Long story short: total disaster.

My recovery path is going to be to salvage the few correct posts in the database and then re-run the import I did Sunday. We will permanantly lose all the posts made between Sunday and about 1:30 this afternoon.

I have a rough day at work tomorrow. I will work on it tomorrow evening. All day Thursday is committed as well as Friday. This couldn't have happened at a worse time.

My thanks goes out to Linear who has helped me through this troubleshooting.

Sorry folks, looks like I get an "F" in the administration category.
      Sam Conder
      BT3Central's First Member

"I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work." -Thomas A. Edison

Comment

• kgworkman
        Forum Newbie
        • Jan 2006
        • Colfax, WA, USA.

No big deal...

It's no big deal. Everyone on here has had a project go awry (if they have ever started one).

We'll just begin anew. Posts can be rewritten, furniture can be rebuilt, tools can be repaired, fingers can be reattached (sometimes)...

Comment

• Derrick
          Established Member
          • Jul 2005
          • Kansas City
          • BT3100

It's still an incredible site you have built.

And I commend you for it. This must have taken a ton of work to build. Just look at the following of good people that are here. That in itself is a statement of just how special this site is. I thank you, and I,m sure we will all be here when the lights come back on..Now get some rest.

Comment

• Pappy
            The Full Monte
            • Dec 2002
            • San Marcos, TX, USA.
            • BT3000 (x2)

Well, I may just not ever come back now!

YEA, RIGHT!!!

Hang in there Sam, you will get it back up and running smooth!
            Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
            Fools because they have to say something.
            Plato

Comment

• Stytooner
              Roll Tide RIP Lee
              • Dec 2002
              • Robertsdale, AL, USA.
              • BT3100

We said it before, we can say it again.
              I know I didn't say anything that needed preserving. Just relax a little, Sam. As in the past, you will salvage what you can when you can.
              I'm sure that everyone would agree that your job and your health should take preceedence over the forum.
              The only thing this proves to me is that Murphy isn't just camped out at the Leeway Workshop. He does indeed travel around.
              Lee

Comment

• gad5264
                Veteran Member
                • Aug 2005
                • Columbus, Ohio, USA
                • BT3000/BT3100NIB

Sam, the only "F" you get is for being FANTASTIC. This is the best site on the web if you ask me and I am sure that others will back me up in saying that we understand and know you want to make this site better. You will get us thru this time and we will all benefit in the end.
                Grant
                "GO Buckeyes"

My projects: http://community.webshots.com/user/gad5264

Comment

• AAJIII
                  Established Member
                  • Jan 2003
                  • WANAQUE, NJ, USA.
                  • Steel City 10" table saw

No Sweat

Sam,

Don't sweat the small stuff. There are more important things to fret over. Some lost posts is just a small inconvience.

The service you provide with this site far outweighs any minor problem like this.

Thank You
                  AL JEWELL

Comment

• greencat
                    Established Member
                    • Dec 2005
                    • Grand Haven Mi

Originally posted by AAJIII
                    Sam,

Don't sweat the small stuff. There are more important things to fret over. Some lost posts is just a small inconvience.

The service you provide with this site far outweighs any minor problem like this.

Thank You
                    Couldn't agree more!
                    Thanks again,
                    Mike

Comment

• Rob R
                      Established Member
                      • Jan 2004
                      • West, Michigan.

Sam, don't sweat it. We're all still here. And that's what makes this forum what it is. The community. As a community, we are cool with whatever you do. Hang in there.

BTW: newbees usually just ask the question outright, only those of us who have been here a while seach the old stuff anyway. And we are all willing to forgive you. no problemo. go ride your bike and think about something else for a bit.

Comment

• BobSch
                        • Aug 2004
                        • Minneapolis, MN, USA.
                        • BT3100

Sam,
                        Don't beat yourself up over this. It happens. It's fixable. And nothing of screaming importance was lost. I mean we're not talking a payroll system here. (BTDT )
                        Bob

Bad decisions make good stories.

Comment

• smc331
                          Veteran Member
                          • Apr 2003
                          • Charlotte, NC, USA.
                          • BT3100

Sam,

Add me to the list of those saying, "It matters not - it's only bits in a bucket!"

Thanks for all you do to keep this place up and running!

(I was wondering where Murphy had been for the last few days - don't worry - he'll be back at my place soon enough...)
                          Scott

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                          You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline - it helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer. -- Frank Zappa

http://macbournes.com

Comment

• knimac
                            Forum Newbie
                            • Jun 2005
                            • Ottawa, Ontario, Canada.
                            • BT3100-1

What crisis?

[QUOTE=Pappy]Well, I may just not ever come back now!

To express my total disappointment, I'm sending a donation to the support fund. Don't let the stress get to you. Work at the fix at a pace that works for you. All the best.

Comment

• softop41
                              Established Member
                              • Jul 2004
                              • Plainfield, IL, USA.
                              • BT3100-1

Not to worry

Sam,
                              Take a deep breath, get some rest, go on with the rest of your life. This isn't a life and death matter, national security or anything like that. You do a tremendous amount of work on our behalf to keep the site running and the best on the 'Net. You will resolve this in the best way possible and we will still be here when you do.
                              Thanks for all the work you've done and will do in resolving this problem.
                              Jerry
                              Jerry
                              Making High Quality Sawdust in Northeast Plainfield

Comment

Working...