• Show
Clear All
  • LarryG
    The Full Monte
    • May 2004
    • Off The Back
    • Powermatic PM2000, BT3100-1

Super-Simple Dado Jig

There are a lot of designs out there for router dado-cutting jigs. Most of them consist of several adjustable parts with slots and knobs and stop blocks that allow the jig to be used for angled or non-through dados. If all you need is a good way to cut straight, through dados, the easy-to-make two-piece jig illustrated here will do the job quickly and accurately.

The jig consists of two identical halves; the first picture below shows one half right-side-up, the other upside-down. Each jig half is just a rectangular piece of 3/4" thick MDF, sized as needed (mine are 7" x 14") with a hardwood fence attached across one short end. The only critical part of the jig's construction is to make sure the fence is perfectly square with the long edges of the MDF.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	SSDJ-01.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	26.8 KB
ID:	788604

The remaining pictures illustrate how the jig would be used to build a bookcase out of 3/4" plywood.

First, the end panel of the bookcase is secured to a bench or worktable and one half of the jig is clamped into place, with one long edge of the MDF aligned with one edge of the required dado. Note how the hardwood fence indexes against the workpiece, making the jig halves self-squaring.

Name:	SSDJ-02.JPG
Size:	36.2 KB
ID:	788605

Next, a scrap piece of shelf material is set into place as a spacer to properly locate the other half of the jig. This is a foolproof way to ensure that the width of the dado will exactly match the thickness of the piece it will receive.

Name:	SSDJ-03.JPG
Size:	38.1 KB
ID:	788606Click image for larger version

Name:	SSDJ-04.JPG
Size:	37.2 KB
ID:	788607

The dado will be cut using a top-bearing pattern maker's bit. This one is 5/8" diameter, which works well for 3/4" plywood, whether it is slightly undersized or a full 3/4" thick.Click image for larger version

Name:	SSDJ-05.JPG
Size:	46.2 KB
ID:	788608

The spacer is removed and the dado is cut with the bit's bearing riding against the edges of the jig halves. The first pass is made by running the bearing along the edge of one jig half. The second uses the other jig half and widens the dado out to its full, correct width.Click image for larger version

Name:	SSDJ-06.JPG
Size:	46.3 KB
ID:	788609

And that's all there is to it! If there's a quicker and easier way to cut dados with a router, I've not found it. I should mention that although I've seen this same basic idea elsewhere, I made my jig by cheerfully copying a design from router guru Pat Warner, a frequent contributor to Fine Woodworking Magazine. Thanks, Pat.
    Larry
  • gad5264
    Veteran Member
    • Aug 2005
    • Columbus, Ohio, USA
    • BT3000/BT3100NIB

Larry,
    Very nice idea. Thanks for the post.
    Grant
    "GO Buckeyes"

My projects: http://community.webshots.com/user/gad5264

Comment

• JonW
      Established Member
      • Feb 2006

Wow. So he does know how to use a camera!

Those pics are great. I think I will make something like that this weekend and play around with some scrap wood to try it out. Your post couldn't have been better. Thanks.

Comment

• lcm1947
        Veteran Member
        • Sep 2004
        • Austin, Texas
        • BT 3100-1

I don't care what you say, my way's better. No really, those are some good ideas too and appears to actually be easier due to the top bearing bit. Probably wouldn't be as hard to dado exactly where you want to either.
        May you die and go to heaven before the Devil knows you're dead. My Best, Mac

Comment

• MilDoc

Thanks! I like the idea. Planning to build some bookshelves (after what SWMBO wants). That will come in handy!

Comment

• Pappy
            The Full Monte
            • Dec 2002
            • San Marcos, TX, USA.
            • BT3000 (x2)

Siimple and effective! I like the idea.
            Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
            Fools because they have to say something.
            Plato

Comment

• LCHIEN
              Internet Fact Checker
              • Dec 2002
              • Katy, TX, USA.
              • BT3000 vintage 1999

Should work great, Larry.
              the only issue is it will have to be a very short top bearing bit. Like less than 3/4" from the bearing to the cutting edge and therefor the cutting depth has to be around 1/2" or less - more like a dado cleanout bit than a top bearing pattern bit (which is usually used to clean up a close-sawn bandsaw cut piece to a template.) Most people don't have this bit but they can be bought.
              Loring in Katy, TX USA
              If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
              BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• charliex
                • Mar 2004
                • Spring Valley, MN, USA.
                • Sears equivelent BT3100-1

Thanks Larry and Pat. I can make that work. Get's a few more scraps of MDF off my wood rack and into service.

Comment

• jarhead
                  • May 2004
                  • Boynton Beach, FL.

Larry,
                  Is that pettern bit 1/4" or 1/2" shank? I am trying to find it on Amazon to use as a filler to get free shipping.

Comment

• LarryG
                    The Full Monte
                    • May 2004
                    • Off The Back
                    • Powermatic PM2000, BT3100-1

Jarhead, that one is 1/4" shank, 5/8" dia, 1/2" cutter length. It's a Whiteside, though, and at a cost of around $22-24 it's going to be a bit more than "filler" unless you can find a cheaper brand.
                    Larry

Comment

Working...