• Show
Clear All
  • vaking
    Veteran Member
    • Apr 2005
    • Montclair, NJ, USA.
    • Ryobi BT3100-1

Dust separator of a different type

Some time ago we had a discussion here about about dust separator with impeller type dust collectors. I can't seem to find this thread now but the bottom line was:
    Most popular type of dust separator is a cyclone lid. This type works well with a shopvac but with a real dust collector it may be problematic. Large collector will need a large separator or it will score it clean. Small dust collector does not have suction to spare so a separator might not be a good idea at all.
    I have a very small dust collector - JSL-610DC. Made by Jet, 610CFM, 3/4HP. I roll it to a machine I work with and connect 1 machine at a time, no elaborate hookup - that is how small dust collectors are supposed to be. But I still wanted a separator after I heard a noise when a chunk of wood got sucked in a put up a fight with impeller. I also defined few more requirements:
    separator must be small so I can roll it together with DC.
    I have a shark guard so I need to have ability to collect from the shark and from the tail pipe at the same time.
    All my machines have 2-1/2" hook ups (shopvac hose) but the DC has 4" input.
    After some thinking this is what came out of this plan:
    separator is in a lid on top of 10 gallon trash can. Separator is installed on a small cart and the cart is attached to DC, so the 2 roll together. Short run of 4" hose connects separator to DC, 2 shopvac hoses provide air intake. One hose connects directly, another through a blast gate. The core of separator is a filter in the lid. Filter is just a a plywood frame with a piece of mesh stretched on it. Mesh that I use against insects on my screen doors and windows. Filter is installed diagonally, this way air and small dust goes through mesh, bigger shavings and chips the filter knocks down to the can. Separator consumes very little air pressure. My first test was the standard one - empty out all the content of DC, install the separator and suck back the same junk. The result -about 85% of the junk stayed in the separator.
    I have been using the separator for couple months already - seems to work well.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by vaking; 03-13-2006, 10:59 PM.
    Alex V
  • MilDoc

Nice idea! Thinking outside the box...no pun intended.

Comment

Working...