Clear All
  • Bruce Cohen
    Veteran Member
    • May 2003
    • Nanuet, NY, USA.
    • BT3100

A Memorial for Monte

Fellow Members,

I've been trying to come to terms accepting Monte's passing and how this forum could pay tribute for all the joy he's brought to us.

I like to propose that we (this forum) start a memorial fund in his name. Whether it be used to further the usage of BT3 Central or possibly a way to further Kyle's woodworking, I think maybe Sam or a concensus of the moderators make that decision.

To start this off, I'm mailing a check to Sam (I refuse to deal with PayPal) in the amount of $50.00. And hoping to shame the rest of you to donate, I've been either underemployed or unemployed for the last four years. Currently, I'm in the latter situation. So if I can come up with some bucks, I know the rest of you can do it, Even one dollar will count.

Additionally, as a few members have already suggested, I feel that the screen name be reserved for Monte, as I'm sure he's still logging in to us somewhere. And the title of "Forum Windbag" be removed from use unless Kyle would like to "carry the torch" in Monte's memory.

Any thoughts on this people?

Bruce
    "Western civilization didn't make all men equal,
    Samuel Colt did"
  • Ken Weaver
    Veteran Member
    • Feb 2004
    • Clemson, SC, USA
    • Rigid TS3650

I'm in and I'll match you.

Sam - you ok handling the funds? Same address and payee?
    Ken Weaver
    Clemson, SC

"A mistake is absolute proof that someone tried to do something!

Comment

• BobSch
      • Aug 2004
      • Minneapolis, MN, USA.
      • BT3100

Sam,

If you're OK handling the funds can you tell me how I can use PayPal? If not, I'll mail a check.
      Bob

Bad decisions make good stories.

Comment

• LarryG
        The Full Monte
        • May 2004
        • Off The Back
        • Powermatic PM2000, BT3100-1

Bruce, these are wonderful suggestions, and overnight I was thinking along the same lines myself.

I have two distinct memories of Monte. The first dates to last fall, when he and I split an order of several Bessey K-Body clamp sets during the anniversary sale. I placed the order from Lee Valley, took out the 12" size clamps when they arrived, and sent the 24" size clamps on to Monte. When I told him how much the clamps cost, he sent me a PayPal payment for a few dollars additional. When I later told him how much the shipping was, same thing. He basically rounded each amount up to the next five dollars, I guess because he wanted to give me a little something for my trouble (although it was no trouble at all). It wasn't a lot of money but it was an example of what a class act he was.

The second memory is of the recent thread about his "Forum Windbag" title. A few members wondered (and rightly so) whether some might see it as insulting even though it was clearly meant in jest. Monte thought it was funny and, even though he was a Patron and could have changed it, he didn't. He chose instead to wear his "Forum Windbag" title proudly. To my knowledge we've only ever had one person reach that status, and that person was Monte. So yes, that user title should be retired.

I can scarely believe this is all happening. It's only been about ten days since we helped him celebrate his 58th birthday, and now he's gone.
        Larry

Comment

• Thom2
          Resident BT3Central Research Ass.
          • Jan 2003
          • Stevens, PA, USA.
          • Craftsman 22124

Originally posted by Bruce Cohen

Additionally, as a few members have already suggested, I feel that the screen name be reserved for Monte, as I'm sure he's still logging in to us somewhere. And the title of "Forum Windbag" be removed from use unless Kyle would like to "carry the torch" in Monte's memory.
          I thought about this almost immediately after reading the post, but neglected to bring it up due to the controversy that the title started originally. I'm glad to see that a few other members brought it up and I feel that this would only be right since currently he is the only member with that status.

My dilemna with making this change is that we need a new title for anyone hitting the 5000 mark, and I just can't quite think of one. I'd certainly like to see something that would remind us of Monte each and every time a member made it to that mark. Some sort of an ongoing memorial to the man that helped make this forum what it is today.

I'd like to hear some other members views and suggestions here as I think we'd all like to keep the memory alive of one of our most helpful and prolific members.
          Last edited by Thom2; 03-29-2006, 10:09 AM.
          If it ain't broke.. don't fix it!!!... but you can always 'hop it up'
          **one and only purchaser of a BT3C official thong**

Comment

• AlanJ
            Established Member
            • Feb 2006
            • Rochester, MN
            • BT3100

How about

'Following Monte's footsteps'

or 'Walking with Monte'

Donation on the way Sam.
            Last edited by AlanJ; 03-29-2006, 10:22 AM.
            Alan

Comment

• rickd
              Established Member
              • Jan 2004
              • Cowichan Bay, 30 mi. north of Victoria, B.C., Canada.
              • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by LarryG
              The second memory is of the recent thread about his "Forum Windbag" title. A few members wondered (and rightly so) whether some might see it as insulting even though it was clearly meant in jest. Monte thought it was funny and, even though he was a Patron and could have changed it, he didn't. He chose instead to wear his "Forum Windbag" title proudly. To my knowledge we've only ever had one person reach that status, and that person was Monte. So yes, that user title should be retired......
              hi everyone,

first, count me in on the memorial for monte - i'll paypal mine in.

secondly, i also immediately thought about the 'forum windbag' title as i was the one who originally posted the suggestion that it might be considered less than 'positive'. i knew then that it was in jest but never realized at the time that he could have changed it if he had wanted to.

now, and especially after the way monte reacted to it, the title seems extremely 'honourable' and i agree it should always belong to monte. he taught me a lesson for sure, and maybe many of you as well, about not taking ourselves too seriously in this world because none of us has any idea of how much time we have left so we'd best enjoy it.

although i didn't know monte personally, i will miss him for sure.
              rick doyle

Rick's Woodworking Website

Comment

• Ken Massingale
                Veteran Member
                • Dec 2002
                • Liberty, SC, USA.
                • Ridgid TS3650

Originally posted by AlanJ
                How about

'Following Monte's footsteps'

or 'Walking with Monte'

Donation on the way Sam.
                I like Walking With Monte, or Woodworking With Monte. I'm in too as soon as Sam o.k.'s it.
                ken

Comment

• ndj
                  Forum Newbie
                  • Feb 2006
                  • Lexington, KY
                  • BT3K

Hey all! As a newbie and a quiet newbie at that, I've wrestled with this. As for some reason (I believe that they've mostly been covered by others), this news hit me hard as it obviously did for all of you who have been here for awhile.

I guess I'm at the 'sponge" stage of woodworking and BT3Central so I've been taking in as much info as possible. Monte certainly was prolific and I guess, in my short time here, I'd already grown accustomed to his posts in so many threads. As everyone has said they were always positive, encouraging, insightful, instructive and often amusing. He posted over 5000 messages but in looking at his profile, he only started 44 threads. This tells me that he clearly rarely needed help (relatively speaking) but was more than willing to take the time to contribute and help out others. Unfortunately a very rare quality anymore.

To get to the point, I would like to suggest that maybe the Chatroom be renamed in his honor. As a newbie, I don't know the "in's and out's" of the forum nor the decision makers or their philosophies. However, as I understand it, there is "The Neighborhood Bar" and then the "Shop Talk" sides of the chatroom. Would it not be a fitting tribute to rename one of those in Monte's name? Just my 2 cents worth.

Comment

• Mrs. Wallnut
                    Bandsaw Box Momma
                    • Apr 2005
                    • Ellensburg, Washington, USA.

What about "Following Monte's Sawdust" or Saw Tracks...but what ever is decided will be a great tribute no matter what is used. Just my opinion.
                    Mrs. Wallnut a.k.a (the head nut).

Comment

• just4funsies
                      • Dec 2005
                      • Florida.
                      • BT3000

How about a yearly "Monte Award" to the most prolific poster(s)?
                      ...eight, nine, TEN! Yep! Still got all my fingers!

Comment

• woodrowB
                        Forum Newbie
                        • Feb 2006
                        • Decatur, GA.

Originally posted by Thom2
                        I'd certainly like to see something that would remind us of Monte each and every time a member made it to that mark. Some sort of an ongoing memorial to the man that helped make this forum what it is today.
                        Makin' like Monte

Comment

• Stormbringer
                          Veteran Member
                          • Feb 2005
                          • Floral Park, NY
                          • Bosch 4000

How about "The Monte Milestone" for whoever hits his number of posts?
                          Last edited by Stormbringer; 03-29-2006, 10:02 PM.

Comment

• Pappy
                            The Full Monte
                            • Dec 2002
                            • San Marcos, TX, USA.
                            • BT3000 (x2)

Loring and I are the closest to hitting the 5000 mark and I agree that the title should be retired. No suggestions as to what to relace it with.

As to the fund, I'm waiting to see what Sam has to say. He will have to tell us if it is practicle, or if it could cause some financial/tax problems for the forum. That being the case another way will have to be determined. It is a great idea.
                            Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
                            Fools because they have to say something.
                            Plato

Comment

• bigfoot15
                              Established Member
                              • Oct 2005
                              • edmonton, alberta, Canada.
                              • BT3100

Originally posted by Pappy
                              Loring and I are the closest to hitting the 5000 mark and I agree that the title should be retired. No suggestions as to what to relace it with.

As to the fund, I'm waiting to see what Sam has to say. He will have to tell us if it is practicle, or if it could cause some financial/tax problems for the forum. That being the case another way will have to be determined. It is a great idea.
                              I agree it's a great idea, this fund. Sam or someone who knows the family should likely pass it by them (Kyle's dad likely, as I believe he is Monte's son from the obit) as far as what to do with the funds raised.
                              WW classes for Kyle if the interest is there?
                              patience is a virtue I can\'t wait to have

Comment

Working...