• Show
Clear All
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

Importance of Using Correct Drill Speed

Posted a while back, reposted by request.

(see attached pic, click it to enlarge)

These are like 1/4 or 3/8" bit drilled through 3/4 whitewood pine.
    Numbers are RPMs. Cut the piece in half after drilling on a D.P.
    Looks like the slow speed tears the wood and the higher speeds cut the wood.
    Conclusion is to look up and set the correct speed each time I change bits and or wood.

Here's a chart of recommended speeds for different bit types and materials, from Wood Magazine:
    www.ibiblio.org/twa/info/drillSpeedChart.pdf
    Attached Files
    Last edited by LCHIEN; 09-03-2011, 03:37 PM. Reason: Attached missing photo/update URL for chart
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions
  • Stan
    • Mar 2004
    • Kalispell, MT, USA.
    • BT3100, Delta 36-717

Excellent 'visualization' of the effects of different speeds. Did you notice any difference with the bits ability to clear itself at the different speed settings?
    From the NW corner of Montana.
    http://www.elksigndesigns.com

Comment

• Tom Miller
      Veteran Member
      • Mar 2003
      • Twin Cities, MN
      • BT3000 - Cuttin' it old school

Loring,

Did you make a note of the quill advance rate, or at least try to keep it constant for each hole? I would think that would make a big difference.

It'd be interesting to compare the 3100 rpm and 620 rpm, but with 1/5 the advance rate for the 620 rpm.

Great pic, and info, BTW!

Regards,
      Tom

Comment

• JR
        The Full Monte
        • Feb 2004
        • Eugene, OR
        • BT3000

Good one, Loring. I'd bet you'd get a reverse picture if the material were steel. But then again, what I don't know about operating a drill press would fill a book.

JR
        JR

Comment

• Jim Boyd
          Veteran Member
          • Dec 2002
          • Montgomery, Texas, USA.
          • Delta Unisaw

I don't remember the last time I changed speeds on my drill press.
          Jim in Texas and Sicko Ryobi Cult Member ©

Comment

• leehljp
            Just me
            • Dec 2002
            • Tunica, MS
            • BT3000/3100

Jim,

In the past I only used one drill speed most of the time, but after Loring's picts a couple of years ago and a recent note on a pen turning forum about the correct speed causes better ejection of the chips, (as compared to a slower speed) I started changing speeds with the need.

With pen turning blanks on some rare woods and woods with that crack with heat, I used to go slow to keep the heat down. But realizing that the flutes clog up easily and knowing that sometimes the slow speeds do cause what Loring's slow speed pict shows, I figured I needed to make some adjustments.

Slow speeds catch and tear more and I think that is what causes "blowouts" on some pen blanks.
            Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• LCHIEN
              Internet Fact Checker
              • Dec 2002
              • Katy, TX, USA.
              • BT3000 vintage 1999

there's been a couple of comments about feed rate.
              It was a while back but I'm sure I fed at an appropriate rate, that is, not so fast as to bog down the drill but fast as it would comfortably feed. That probably means I fed a bit faster at the higher RPM rates. If it loaded up with chips I would raise the bit to clear them but I don't think in this case it did.

Basically I ran the test trying to optimize cutting in the best way I knew how given the characteristics at that speed. So whatever the feed rate, it's what felt right at the time, how I would have done it making a hole for any other reason other than a speed test.
              Therefore the results are what I would get if I set that speed and tried to drill a hole.

So the test is realistic in that I drill better holes, given my normal drilling habits, at the correct speed (which is 3000 RPM incidentally, for that combination of bit and wood).

P.S. If you feed too slow with a high RPM, you can burn the wood, just like going too slow with a saw or Router.
              Last edited by LCHIEN; 06-29-2007, 06:37 PM.
              Loring in Katy, TX USA
              If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.

Comment

• Jim Boyd
                Veteran Member
                • Dec 2002
                • Montgomery, Texas, USA.
                • Delta Unisaw

Originally posted by leehljp
                Jim,

In the past I only used one drill speed most of the time, but after Loring's picts a couple of years ago and a recent note on a pen turning forum about the correct speed causes better ejection of the chips, (as compared to a slower speed) I started changing speeds with the need.

With pen turning blanks on some rare woods and woods with that crack with heat, I used to go slow to keep the heat down. But realizing that the flutes clog up easily and knowing that sometimes the slow speeds do cause what Loring's slow speed pict shows, I figured I needed to make some adjustments.

Slow speeds catch and tear more and I think that is what causes "blowouts" on some pen blanks.
                Hank, I never said the speed was slow. Just that I never change it Maybe I will with snakewood
                Jim in Texas and Sicko Ryobi Cult Member ©

Comment

• LCHIEN
                  Internet Fact Checker
                  • Dec 2002
                  • Katy, TX, USA.
                  • BT3000 vintage 1999

more than one speed?

It's officially not funny. I'll bet there are some people who don't know you can change the speed of a drill press... and even more who don't know how.

maybe the topic of my next poll...

At least I've demonstrated I'm not one of them!
                  Last edited by LCHIEN; 04-15-2006, 12:20 AM.
                  Loring in Katy, TX USA

Comment

• leehljp
                    Just me
                    • Dec 2002
                    • Tunica, MS
                    • BT3000/3100

Originally posted by Jim Boyd
                    Hank, I never said the speed was slow. Just that I never change it Maybe I will with snakewood
                    I was wondering if you were going to use the same "generic" speed on "snakewood". Are you getting a little "unsure" of yourself? Paranoia with all the snakewood cracking setting in?

I hear some people are puttin' a lot pressure on you with that snakewood. You better come through. From what I hear of how fragile that wood is - maybe use a glass cuttin bit and some oil will help prevent the cracking.
                    Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• Raymonator
                      Established Member
                      • Mar 2006
                      • Near Ottawa Ontario
                      • Ryobi BT3100

Great illustration, and I will definitely make note of this thread. I know I can change the speed of my DP by using different pully's, I'll have to take a look as see what rpm I'm set at. Thanks, this has been very informative.
                      Measure twice....cut once.
                      Happiness makes up in height what it lacks in length (Robert Frost)

Comment

• LCHIEN
                        Internet Fact Checker
                        • Dec 2002
                        • Katy, TX, USA.
                        • BT3000 vintage 1999

Everyone with a drill press should read this. So, ba-buuuump!
                        Loring in Katy, TX USA

Comment

• cgallery
                          Veteran Member
                          • Sep 2004
                          • Milwaukee, WI
                          • BT3K

A very good PSA (Public Service Announcement).

I'm lucky because my Ryobi drill press has a continuously variable speed. And a speed chart for different bit sizes and materials printed right on front.

Comment

• ragswl4
                            Veteran Member
                            • Jan 2007
                            • Winchester, Ca
                            • C-Man 22114

Originally posted by LCHIEN
                            Everyone with a drill press should read this. So, ba-buuuump!

Absolutely correct, I did, I printed out the PDF chart and most of all Thanks for posting, great information that was missing from my limited knowledge. That's what so great about this forum. It's my woodworking college.
                            RAGS
                            Raggy and Me in San Felipe
                            sigpic

Comment

• gwyneth
                              Veteran Member
                              • Nov 2006
                              • Bayfield Co., WI

The inside of the lid on many Deltas (and possibly other brands) has a chart that shows which pulleys make which speed.

Anybody who still needs to be convinced should reflect on the fact that the most efficient way to start a fire without matches or magnifying glass is a fire-drill.
                              Last edited by gwyneth; 06-29-2007, 11:15 PM.

Comment

Working...