Visit Rockler.com - Woodworking Superstore!

BT3Central Forums

Go Back   BT3Central Forums > Discussions > Tool talk

Tool talk This forum is for discussions about any and all power tools. Whether you are looking to buy a new tool or you have a question about the usage of a tool, this is the place to be!

Old 04-28-2006, 09:21 AM
Forum Newbie

sbilbrey is on a distinguished road
Sears Radial Arm Saw

I have an opportunity to purchase a Craftsman Radial Arm Saw model 113 23100. Guy says it still has original blade and shows no wear. But he also says it "looks to him like it has no wear" which begs the question - Where did he get it from? Two questions:

1. Is this a good saw?
2. What would be a fair price?

Thanks,
Sam
Old 04-28-2006, 10:39 AM
Trees Fear Him...

just4funsies is on a distinguished road
I have an early Craftsman RAS (with the digital readouts) which has not let me down... ever. I don't know if it is the same saw as your model, but I wouldn't be concerned about reliability, although you should have the owner demo it before you deal. As for price, that's subjective, since there aren't that many RAS's floating around to establish a reference. I'd suggest you consider how much you need it vs. how much you can afford vs. cost for a similar new unit, and haggle from there. It never hurts to walk away if the price seems too high. This way, you give the owner a chance to come down, and you can always change your mind if he doesn't.
Old 04-28-2006, 10:54 AM
Fishing The Amazon

Jeffrey Schronce is on a distinguished road
Recall Notice

I put that model number, 113.23100 into the search engine at http://www.radialarmsawrecall.com/faq.htm and it says there is no safety kit availiable. This could be because it already has one installed. Do you know when the unit was made? Just be aware of this issue.

Also, could a Sliding Compound Miter Saw better fit your needs? Amazon has a well regarded Makita SCMS right now for $300. Seems to me that SCMS would be more accurate, much wider range of use, better DC, etc.

Last edited by Jeffrey Schronce; 04-28-2006 at 10:56 AM.
Old 04-28-2006, 10:58 AM
Resident BT3Central Research Ass.

Thom2 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Thom2 Send a message via AIM to Thom2 Send a message via MSN to Thom2 Send a message via Yahoo to Thom2
I have the same RAS as j4f, I gave $150 for it a few years back. The guy I bought it from bought it to build a fence and deck and that was it. He was getting rid of it because it was in his way and he'd never use it again since the fence/deck was done. Since I bought it, I researched and found out it was eligible for the recall (www.radialarmsawrecall.com) and received a new guard assembly as well as new tabletop for free.

I often see Craftsman RAS's in this area for $50-$150, I personally wouldn't spend any more than $150, even if it's in pristine condition. There's just too many of them out there to be had for cheap money (at least around here).
Old 04-28-2006, 11:10 AM
Forum Newbie

sbilbrey is on a distinguished road
More information

I talked to the guy on the phone some more, here is what I got:

He got the saw in a trade from a guy who got it as part of his grandfathers estate.

He says the guy was pretty sure it had never been used.

He says the shaft (?) was rusty, he fixed that(?), and has had the saw running, but has no use for it.

It does not have a table.

Questions:

- Would it have had a table when it came from Sears? Or is this an indication it has never been used because it does not have a table?

- Other than the fact that the saw works and slides, what else should I be checking about this saw?

Thanks for your help,
Sam
Old 04-28-2006, 11:29 AM
Established Member

vanguard is on a distinguished road
Most RAS tables are sacrificial. So $10 of MDF/particle board should square that away. Most used RAS units around here seem to go for about $100. The one's I see on craigslist listed over that, seem to stay around and around and around.

I recently picked up a Dewalt Super-900 for $100 and have been very pleased. I'm not sure a SCMS would be any more accurate than it is. It would be more portable though.
Old 04-28-2006, 11:53 AM
Veteran Member

Popeye is on a distinguished road
I paid $50 for an old one, got the new table and guard on the safety recall Thom mentioned. Wouldn't trade it.
Best cross cut saw I've ever had. Nothing tops it for doing dado's <12".
Pat
Old 04-28-2006, 12:16 PM

meika123 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Popeye
Wouldn't trade it.
Best cross cut saw I've ever had. Nothing tops it for doing dado's <12".
Pat
Exactly why I would love to have one.

Dave in NC
Old 04-28-2006, 01:30 PM
Forum Newbie

jangus is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Indispensable

I gave $75 for a Ryobi 10" RAS, and wouldn't let it go now. Way to versatile around my shop.
Old 04-28-2006, 01:33 PM
Trees Fear Him...

just4funsies is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thom2
I have the same RAS as j4f, I gave $150 for it a few years back. The guy I bought it from bought it to build a fence and deck and that was it. He was getting rid of it because it was in his way and he'd never use it again since the fence/deck was done. Since I bought it, I researched and found out it was eligible for the recall (www.radialarmsawrecall.com) and received a new guard assembly as well as new tabletop for free.
Thom, I don't have the upgraded guard, but I don't use the saw for ripping. In the crosscut mode, I have a tall fence, with only a small slot where the blade slides through the fence into the work. Does your updated guard look like it would work with such a fence WITHOUT cutting a bigger (huge) hole in the fence for the whole guard contraption to move through? Also, I don't see anything in the link about a new tabletop. Did you ask for one, or did they just send it on their own?