X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jarhead
    • May 2004
    • Boynton Beach, FL.

Want to build a mobile base

As my very first project in woodworking, I would like to build 2 mobile base cabinets for my drill press and a planer. I really like the base pictures in this thread. It looks as though a rabbet joint was cut into the sides of the carcas. My question is will these joints be able to support the weight of the DP or a planer? Does anyone have a basic plan for a similar base? TIA
  • gmack5
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2002
    • Quapaw, Oklahoma, USA.
    • Ryobi BT3000SX & BT3100

Here's a mobile work stand that's pretty simple to build and looks like it would do the job.

If that is not to your liking, try one of these other ones.
    Free woodworking plans and projects that start with the letter W. From Wagons and Wainscotting, Wax Paper Dispensers to Weather Vanes, Window Boxes, Wishing Wells, Winter Shrub Protectors, etc. Many of the more commmon woodworking plans have branched out into their own categories. Look for the tree icon below to navigate to the free woodworking plans.

Stop thinking why you can't and Start thinking how you CAN!
    Remember, SUCCESS comes in CANS!
    George

Comment

• tribalwind
      • Feb 2004
      • long island, ny.

hey there jarhead
      sorry i wasnt able to return your call this weekend.
      i have a Great book for making shop cabinets/benches etc, i will scan the mobile tool cabinet project for you( i made 3 already,almost complete) theyre a good size and strong enough for the planer, the drill press wouldnt need much but nice to ahve them all the same size.

matt
      namaste, matthew http://www.tribalwind.com

Comment

• jarhead
        • May 2004
        • Boynton Beach, FL.

gmack5,
        Thanks for the links.

Matthew,
        Don't worry about the call. I would really appreciate if you can scan the plans for me.

Alex

Comment

• Kristofor
          Veteran Member
          • Jul 2004
          • Twin Cities, MN
          • Jet JTAS10 Cabinet Saw

quote:Originally posted by tribalwind

[snip]
          i have a Great book for making shop cabinets/benches etc, [snip]

matt
          Matt, could you please tell me the name of the book so I can check it out. Now that the hanging shelves have been completed on the half of the gargage devoted to parking a car, it's time to start making some more functional equipment stands/etc for the other half. Not that the wire spool work table isn't a world better than cutting 2x4s, plywood, etc on the floor and whatnot but it's hardly flat and is sized for someone about 4'8" tall.

Thanks, Kristofor.

Comment

• tribalwind
            • Feb 2004
            • long island, ny.

its a nice one, i got this and 2 or 3 others for $10 by joining woodworkers book club, i think it was well worth it

Comment

• uncue75
              Forum Newbie
              • Aug 2004
              • Raleigh, NC, USA.

quote:Originally posted by tribalwind

its a nice one, i got this and 2 or 3 others for $10 by joining woodworkers book club, i think it was well worth it
              I was thinking the same thing... so what book was it. now I'm curious as to what book club it was?

thanks

Comment

• crokett
                The Full Monte
                • Jan 2003
                • Mebane, NC, USA.
                • Ryobi BT3000

Jarhead, in answer to your rabbet question, I built something similar for my DP a couple years ago. It is all MDF and the top is rabbetted into the sides. It has not failed yet.
                David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• tribalwind
                  • Feb 2004
                  • long island, ny.

quote:
                  I was thinking the same thing... so what book was it. now I'm curious as to what book club it was?
                  thanks

just make sure to opt-out each month for the new book they send,or return it within a week if you dont want to be charged for it

Comment

Working...