• Show
Clear All
  • drumpriest
    Veteran Member
    • Feb 2004
    • Pittsburgh, Pa, USA.
    • Powermatic PM 2000

Balancing veneers

I have some walnut burls and some waterfall bubinga veneers, and I was wondering if anyone had any idea what "lesser veneers" will balance them well? I can get some sizable big leaf maple veneers cheap, but don't know the relative moisture absorbtion properties of each of these types of veneers.
    Keith Z. Leonard
    Go Steelers!
  • drumpriest
    Veteran Member
    • Feb 2004
    • Pittsburgh, Pa, USA.
    • Powermatic PM 2000

Well, as noone has responded, I will. My problem has been solved. The reason...

http://www.bt3central.com/showthread...891#post191891

Veneer sale at rockler. 7$ a pack, I found large walnut flitches, and bubinga, so they will counter balance my walnut burls and waterfall bubinga veneers. I also grabbed up some olive burl and fancy olive for balance.

So that you all know, maple doesn't seem a good choice for balancing walnut. I found some info about the stuff from bending books, and maple gains water much faster.
    Keith Z. Leonard
    Go Steelers!

Comment

• kwgeorge
      Veteran Member
      • Jan 2004
      • Alvin, TX, USA.

Sorry, I missed the thread. I got to where I read over the new posts on the front page and missed this one. When using a veneer for balance it should be the same wood or one with like characteristics. Yeah, the shame about Rockler veneer price is that my store manager tells me they are pretty much blowing it out as Rockler corporate has decided to longer carry it like they have been. Too bad as they have been a real good source for some nice burl veneers for me.

Comment

• drumpriest
        Veteran Member
        • Feb 2004
        • Pittsburgh, Pa, USA.
        • Powermatic PM 2000

I figured that the thead had been missed by many, as I posted it over the holliday weekend. I knew the "like characteristics" idea, just not which woods were really "like" other woods as far as moisture absorbtion. Very little info out there it would seem, or that I found in my searching.

I was under the impression that Rockler was just changing veneer suppliers, but perhaps you are correct, they may not hold so many veneers of that sort. Woodcraft also has a good selection from time to time, that's where I found my waterfall bubinga veneer. A good price too, I think.
        Keith Z. Leonard
        Go Steelers!

Comment

• jgrobler
          Established Member
          • Dec 2005
          • Salinas, CA, USA.
          • TS3650

You can find veneers for almost any wood at http://www.oakwoodveneer.com/samples.html

Comment

• drumpriest
            Veteran Member
            • Feb 2004
            • Pittsburgh, Pa, USA.
            • Powermatic PM 2000

Thanks, I've been to that site. Price is an object here, of course, and these are smaller veneer flitches for quarter matching that we are talking about, not 4'x8' rolls of backed veneers, which seems to be what they specialize in. Interesting site though.

I got some ash olive burl yesterday (small stuff), they have an "inquire" about price of that, for a 4'x8' sheet, lol.
            Keith Z. Leonard
            Go Steelers!

Comment

Working...