• Show
Clear All
  • scorrpio
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2005
    • Wayne, NJ, USA.

Caught my attention at MLCS.

http://mlcswoodworking.com/shopsite_.../footswtc.html
    For just over $20, seems like a very good addition to a tablesaw. or a router table...
  • jnesmith
    • Jan 2003
    • Tallahassee, FL, USA.

I'm not sure exactly how it works, but if you could turn on the saw just by stepping on it, I would be very nervous with it down near my feet.
    John

Comment

• gad5264
      Veteran Member
      • Aug 2005
      • Columbus, Ohio, USA
      • BT3000/BT3100NIB

I have one of these on my scroll saw and love it.
      Grant
      "GO Buckeyes"

My projects: http://community.webshots.com/user/gad5264

Comment

• scorrpio
        Veteran Member
        • Dec 2005
        • Wayne, NJ, USA.

Originally posted by jnesmith
        I'm not sure exactly how it works, but if you could turn on the saw just by stepping on it, I would be very nervous with it down near my feet.
        Well, you still have the saw-mounted switch. Flip it to on when starting a series of cuts, and use the pedal. Once done with all the cuts, flip saw switch to off.

Comment

• LCHIEN
          Internet Fact Checker
          • Dec 2002
          • Katy, TX, USA.
          • BT3000 vintage 1999

I've posted this before, but here's my objection to the "deadman" type of foot switch for table saws.

The basic tale saw operation is to feed material into the saw. You need to
          place your feet so as to maintain balance even as the load is shifting forward. You need to maintain a constant and steady speed and force forward. To do this I believe you have to be able to move your body as this load shifts.

Now, enter a foot control: To keep the saw running (essential for a straight, smooth and unburned cut ) you need to keep one foot on the switch, perhaps balanced by your heel on the ground and the ball of your foot on the switch. To keep two points carefully balanced on the switch actually creates a tripod, your other foot must be placed so as to allow you to keep this balance. Now as you feed the wood, your personal balance point (since you have to hold the wood) is changing. To rebalance reqires lifting and replacing one or the other foot. But- it turns out you can't really lift a foot in this situation or you'll lose control of the pressure on the switch!

I think that's a dangerous situation.

If, you use the continuous switch (e.g. step-on/step-off)
          then you'll have to find it with your free foot which is probably more uncertain than turning it off with your hand because at least that switch is in a fixed location.
          Loring in Katy, TX USA
          If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
          BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• sacherjj
            Not Your Average Joe
            • Dec 2005
            • Indianapolis, IN, USA.
            • BT3100-1

I agree with the consensus that this isn't a device for a table saw. However, I have been looking for one for the scroll saw. I was thinking about getting two. The extra being for the lathe. I don't know how useful that would be, although I could think of a few times that it would be helpful when doing the final cut to remove a tricky piece from the lathe. You have one hand on the piece, one hand with a chizel and one foot ready to shut down the lathe. Any thoughts about the usefulness (or lack thereof) for the lathe? I haven't turned much yet.
            Joe Sacher

Comment

Working...