• Show
Clear All
  • Ken Massingale
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2002
    • Liberty, SC, USA.
    • Ridgid TS3650

HF Bandsaw and Grizzly Riser Block

Can't wait any longer for more than 6" resaw capacity. I read on Woodnet that Griz risers work with the HF BS, but I'm confused on which one. Seems to be either the H7316 or H3051. What's unclear is if the guide rod in both work without mod. If anyone here has done this I'd appreciate some info.
    I know the Ridgid works but I can't find it less than $125, the Grizzly's are $50-$60.

Thanks much
  • sacherjj
    Not Your Average Joe
    • Dec 2005
    • Indianapolis, IN, USA.
    • BT3100-1

I believe the Riser block for the GO555 is the most common one. (That is the HO3051 one, I believe). That worked fine on my new Ridgid.
    Joe Sacher

Comment

• sweensdv
      Veteran Member
      • Dec 2002
      • WI
      • Baileigh TS-1040P-50

Ken, IIRC there have been a couple of threads dealing with this subject on this BB. Maybe a Search using Grizzly Riser Blocks or Riser Kit might yield some results. As I recall, one set is a simple bolt on installation while the other does require some minor modifications.

Comment

• jwaterdawg
        • Aug 2005
        • Washington, NC USA
        • JET

Originally posted by sacherjj
        I believe the Riser block for the GO555 is the most common one. (That is the HO3051 one, I believe). That worked fine on my new Ridgid.
        I agree with Joe. If you know for sure that the Ridgid works on the HF then go with the H3051 (http://www.grizzly.com/products/h3051). That kit fits the Ridgid BS1400 without any mods. I love mine.
        Don't be stupid, the universe is watching.

Comment

• Ken Massingale
          Veteran Member
          • Dec 2002
          • Liberty, SC, USA.
          • Ridgid TS3650

Thanks Joe, Dave and Jay.
          k

Comment

• Ken Massingale
            Veteran Member
            • Dec 2002
            • Liberty, SC, USA.
            • Ridgid TS3650

For anyone thinking of installing the Grizzly H3051 on the HF 14" BS:
            The riser block is perfect
            The diameter of the rod for the guides is too large. It will have to be turned down.

For $50, I think it's still a good deal.
            k

Comment

• barrym
              Forum Newbie
              • Dec 2005
              • Homewood, IL, USA.

H7316 riser kit has 3/4" diameter guide post

At the end of last year I purchased a Jet JWBS-14OS (14 inch open stand) band saw and the riser block kit that Jet's web site was for that saw. Upon assembly it turned out that the guide post in the kit was too big. For a variety of reasons that I won't go into, I decided to keep the saw and return the kit, thinking that I would either find a kit that worked, or come up with a work around for the rare times I needed to resaw boards over 6" (more on that later). This post got me interested again, and looking at the Grizzly G0580 saw (that the Grizzly H7316 riser block kit fits on), it looked nearly identical to my Jet. I downloaded the Grizzly manual, and the drawing in the manual is almost the same as the drawing in my Jet manual, as though they came from the same CAD file. Even the drawing reference numbers are the same. The main difference is that my Jet didn't come with a fence. So I sent an email to Grizzly explaining the situation and asking for the diameter of the guide post in the kit. The reply:

"We appreciate your interest in our products. Please be aware that we cannot guarantee our H7316 Riser Block Kit will work on any bandsaw but our G0580. The guide post of this kit is ¾” in diameter."

Just what I need! Ken, if a 3/4" guide post is what you need, perhaps you can still exchange it. I'm going to order the kit and keep my fingers crossed that it works on the Jet.

Back to the work around. I was going to make a frame saw like this one:

http://72.14.203.104/search?q=cache:...s&ct=clnk&cd=3

Only using a bow saw blade like this one:

http://lawn-and-garden.hardwarestore...de-677761.aspx

These blades rip through wood like butter, admiittedly leaving a rough cut. I thought I'd just use the table saw, or circular saw and guide, to but a 1" or so kerf on 3 edges of the board to guide the cut. Is this a crazy idea, or might it work? I realize there would be more waste than with a band saw.

Barry
              Barry

Comment

• barrym
                Forum Newbie
                • Dec 2005
                • Homewood, IL, USA.

Well, if anyone's interested, the Grizzly H7316 riser kit fits perfectly on the Jet JWBS-14OS saw. Here's some dimensional information on the kit, in case anyone is considering it for their saw:

- The guide post is indeed 3/4" diameter, with a v-groove its entire length.
                - The riser block itself has two 1/4" dowels spaced approximately 3 5/16" apart, or more specifically, centered on the opposing corners of a 2 1/8" and 2 1/2" rectangle. The dowels are not centered on the block itself, which is necessary to have it mate up perfectly with the two halves of the saw.

Hope this information is of use to someone.
                Barry

Comment

• HauntedBranch
                  Forum Newbie
                  • Feb 2006

Grizzly riser for HF bandsaw

Thanks, Barry. I am interested but would very much like to hear whether anyone has found a Grizzly (or Rigid or whatever) riser kit that fits on the HF bandsaw without modification.

Comment

• LCHIEN
                    Internet Fact Checker
                    • Dec 2002
                    • Katy, TX, USA.
                    • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by HauntedBranch
                    Thanks, Barry. I am interested but would very much like to hear whether anyone has found a Grizzly (or Rigid or whatever) riser kit that fits on the HF bandsaw without modification.
                    actually it sounds like Barry gave you enuf info for you to check whether
                    it will fit or not, being that the other posters said the grizz risers fit but the
                    post is the question.
                    Loring in Katy, TX USA
                    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• Ken Massingale
                      Veteran Member
                      • Dec 2002
                      • Liberty, SC, USA.
                      • Ridgid TS3650

Originally posted by HauntedBranch
                      Loring is correct. I choose between the 3051 and 7316, and apparently made the wrong decision. The post was not a big deal anyway. I found 3/4" rod at a local hardware store and made a flat down one side for the set screw to tighten against for around $5.

Comment

Working...