BT3Central Forums

Go Back   BT3Central Forums > Discussions > Home Improvements & Maintenance

Home Improvements & Maintenance Every once in a while we have to come out of the shop and fix something on the Honey-do list. This is a place we can discuss those projects.

Old 06-28-2006, 01:06 PM
Established Member

PALefty is on a distinguished road
Quikrete 'Concrete Mix' vs 'Fast Setting Concrete Mix'

I will be pouring some deck footers using the pre-formed tubes. It appears there are two types of concrete that may be used. One is fast-setting and the other is not. What are the pros/cons of each type? I won't be putting the deck on it for a few weeks after it is poured... so the fast setting isn't really a requirement for me from that standpoint.

Quikrete

QUIKRETE® Fast-Setting Concrete is the ideal concrete mix for this job. It gains its initial set in 20-40 minutes and reaches strength of 1000 psi (6.9MPa) in 1 day so construction work can continue almost uninterrupted. QUIKRETE® Concrete Mix is another excellent mix for constructing QUIK-TUBE™ footers.
Old 06-28-2006, 01:13 PM
The Full Monte

LarryG will become famous soon enough
I've only used the regular stuff. According to the spec sheets, both reach a compressive strength of 4000psi in the standard 28-day curing period, but the write-ups make it sound like the fast-setting flavor is intended more for filling in around fence posts, and for light-duty slabs, than for footings. The "pour dry mix into hole, then add water" part seems to reinforce this.

Since you say time isn't a factor, I'd recommend you use the regular.
Old 06-28-2006, 01:26 PM
The Full Monte

JR is on a distinguished road
Definitely what Larry said.

The fast-setting stuff has gravel in it already. It's specifically designed for post-hole applications and tends to have grainy, chunky consistency that can break down over time.

For deck footings you'd be better of with regular Quik-Crete mixed to your satisfaction.

JR
Old 06-28-2006, 06:57 PM
Veteran Member

Hellrazor is on a distinguished road
That quick set stuff is good for mailbox posts. I would use regular mix for doing footings though.
Old 06-29-2006, 08:06 AM
Established Member

lkazista is on a distinguished road
The quick setting stuff costs a bit more than the regular as well, I want to say almost double. I think I paid $4 a bag 3 months ago when I poured my deck footing, and the quick dry stuff was around $7. I needed 30 bags so there was really no choice.

But the fellas are right, that stuff is only good for mailbox posts and the such.

Happy pouring.

Lee
Old 06-29-2006, 08:57 AM
Veteran Member

scorrpio is on a distinguished road
I believe most recent Fine Homebuilding has an article on deck footer pouring. Including determining proper thickness/depth and type given the site, deck size, etc. Number of bags calculation and full description of the process, too.
Old 06-29-2006, 12:20 PM
Veteran Member

Hellrazor is on a distinguished road
The thing with the fast drying concrete is it cures fast which makes it harder to work with. Anyone who works around concrete knows slowing the curing process helps prevent cracking. If you are mixing say 6 bags per footer, you will have to mix like a mad man or it will start to setup before you get the next bags mixed.
Old 06-29-2006, 01:36 PM
Established Member

thanks.... everybody confirmed my suspicions. I will go the regular route!

The slower cure should give me more time to pour all my (4) footers (~28 bags) then go back, check my alignment... and do the J bolts in the end. right?
Old 06-30-2006, 01:23 PM
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PALefty
The slower cure should give me more time to pour all my (4) footers (~28 bags) then go back, check my alignment... and do the J bolts in the end. right?
Any thoughts on this? Would it be better to set each J bolt as I go along... or do I have time to do it at the end (using standard Concrete Mix)?
Old 06-30-2006, 04:40 PM
Veteran Member

JimD is on a distinguished road
Depends some on the ambient temperature and humidity. I would probably put the J bolts in and check the alignment at the end and hope I could move them. If you cannot and they are too far off, you can cut them off with a recipricating saw and drill a hole for an anchor (lead is tradition but there are others).

If you want your footings extra strong, you can also buy a bag or two of portland cement and add a little to each bag of pre-mix as you mix. It does not take a lot of extra cement to up the strength. Probably overkill, however.

Jim