Clear All
  • cgallery
    Veteran Member
    • Sep 2004
    • Milwaukee, WI
    • BT3K

LVL workbench more or less done

LVL = Laminated Veneer Lumber.

This stuff is normally used for beams and headers (like over your garage door). It is like plywood where all the plys have their grain oriented in the same (length) direction.

It comes 1-3/4" thick, and the pieces I purchased at Menards were 9-1/2" wide x 16' long. Two pieces were enough to make my bench base and leave some decent leftovers to play with later.

The benefits of LVL are strength and stability (it doesn't twist or cup like dimensional lumber).

Cost of materials: $70 for the LVL, $10 for hardware (qty. (4) each 4" long x 1/2" bolts, 1/2" washers, 1/2" wing nuts). About $5 for some 1/2" dowels. I used the door that was the top of my old, unstable bench.

The middle support (unfinished) that you see on top of the stretchers provides some structural support for the door. This prevents sagging and makes the top surface more solid for hammering. I had originally intended to replace this piece with a tool chest that would provide the same support to the top, but now I'm thinking of making two smaller chests to sit on either side of the support, and painting the support to match the rest of the bench, or finishing it to match the chests.

This bench is earthquake-ready. If I put cup of coffee on it, I have to whack the bench quite hard to get ripples in the coffee. The import benches at Rockler and Woodcraft shake furiously compared to this one.

The one tip I found in the workbench books that I really liked for this bench was just using four dowels to hold the top on. The weight of the top sitting on the dowels is all it takes to hold it in place. And I can replace the top in ten minutes with another $40 door.

And I really like the way the porch paint came out. It is still curing, but it is getting hard and is quite durable. Thanks Pappy and Sarge for the painting tips!

Thanks for looking!
    Attached Files
  • Pappy
    The Full Monte
    • Dec 2002
    • San Marcos, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 (x2)

That is some stout looking material. Should last for yearas of service. Are the stretchers in the legs with M&T joints?
    Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
    Fools because they have to say something.
    Plato

Comment

• lrogers
      Veteran Member
      • Dec 2002
      • Mobile, AL. USA.
      • BT3000

Heffty was the first word that came to mind. That should take a lick'n and keep on tick'n!
      Larry R. Rogers
      The Samurai Wood Butcher
      http://splash54.multiply.com
      http://community.webshots.com/user/splash54

Comment

• cgallery
        Veteran Member
        • Sep 2004
        • Milwaukee, WI
        • BT3K

Originally posted by Pappy
        That is some stout looking material. Should last for yearas of service. Are the stretchers in the legs with M&T joints?
        Nope, I used two 1/2" dowels (one below and one above the bolt) at each joint to provide alignment and additional strength. The dowels aren't glued, so I can disassemble if need be.

If I ever build a base with hardwood I'll give M&T joints a try.

Comment

• SARGE..g-47

Nice job, CG. You will like the idea of using the dowel pins (I bullet shape the exposed ends) to drop a new top on. The idea for break-down is good, especially if you are not sure you're gonna be there awhile.

My base has 4 x 4 legs with pinned through tenons for the stretchers. The legs are through tenons at the bottom 6" through the feet. It would be easier to build a new one than break it down as all is glued and that is a lot of glue surface. Guess I'm stuck here. The good news is the mortgage is paid off.

Glad you liked the Porch and Floor. I use it on most shop base cabinets and it will dry to a very hard finish with several coats. I have been known to use it on exterior trim (end caps, facia, etc.) as it will hold up much longer than exterior gloss.

Might test that new-fangled LVL on something. I'm not that familiar with it at this point.

Regards and again.. well done

Comment

• BigguyZ
            Veteran Member
            • Jul 2006
            • Minneapolis, MN
            • Craftsman, older type w/ cast iron top

Nice looking bench. OT a bit, but is that a cyclone DC unit in the top pic? If so, did you buy it or build it yourself?

Comment

• bigsteel15
              Veteran Member
              • Feb 2006
              • Edmonton, AB
              • Ryobi BT3100

that LVL as ou call it is different than our "engineered beams" up here.
              Ours look more like OSB than plywood. Don't think you could ever hurt either one.
              I'll have to ask my framer neighbor to keeps eyes open for scrapped beams and bring them home.
              That is one mother of a bench you got there. I thought mine was heavy duty made from 4x4 southern pine.
              Last edited by bigsteel15; 08-23-2006, 11:56 AM.
              Brian

Welcome to the school of life
              Where corporal punishment is alive and well.

Comment

• cgallery
                Veteran Member
                • Sep 2004
                • Milwaukee, WI
                • BT3K

Originally posted by bigsteel15
                that LVL as ou call it is different than our "engineered beams" up here.
                Ours look more like OSB than plywood. Don't think you could ever hurt either one.
                I'll have to ask my framer neighbor to keeps eyes open for scrapped beams and bring them home.
                That is one mother of a bench you got there. I thought mine was heavy duty made from 4x4 southern pine.
                Well, first I purchased 2x4 and 2x8 dimensional lumber to build my bench. I left everything in the basement for a couple weeks before beginning. I built the sides and then when I looked at the 2x8's, I decided they had twised too much.

So I looked into the PJI joists (I-Joists). Those are the ones made from OSB with a cleat on the top and bottom. I figured I could purchase one of those and make it into the stringers. And I almost did. But when I was looking at web pages for GP I decided I liked the LVL more. And it wasn't that much more expensive. So I started over from scratch and made the entire thing from LVL.

So I still have my HF (Hem Fir) sides. I will probably still purchase a 16' PJI and finish that bench, too. I don't know what I'll do with it. I don't have room for two benches. But I don't want to waste the other sides, either.

I plan to experiment with more new construction materials. I like the fact that it is: Dimensionally stable, cheap, plentiful, and made from materials that would otherwise be discarded. I don't feel bad when I screw up like I would if I blew a nice piece of maple, for example.

By the way, I think SYP in 4x4 is still stronger than what I have. SYP is real strong stuff, isn't it? Did you find that as dimensional lumber? I've read that some people that live in the south find SYP as dimensional lumber in their borgs. I don't know if it is true.

Comment

• cgallery
                  Veteran Member
                  • Sep 2004
                  • Milwaukee, WI
                  • BT3K

Originally posted by BigguyZ
                  Nice looking bench. OT a bit, but is that a cyclone DC unit in the top pic? If so, did you buy it or build it yourself?
                  Purchased the cyclone on eBay, I think I started another thread about it here. Trying to get it hooked-up for dust collection. That is a project that I'm starting now.

Comment

• mater
                    Veteran Member
                    • Jan 2004
                    • SC, USA.

The workbench looks great. You should get years of service out of it.
                    Ken aka "mater"

" People may doubt what you say but they will never doubt what you do "

Ken's Den

Comment

• jking
                      • May 2003
                      • Des Moines, IA.
                      • BT3100

Southern Yellow Pine is certainly strong stuff, but, not on the order of LVL. LVL's are 50% (approx.) stronger than SYP. When you can't get the strength you need for a wood beam by using multiple 2x12's, you typically look at LVL's. I am somewhat surprised the LVL wasn't cost prohibitive, though.

Comment

• bigsteel15
                        Veteran Member
                        • Feb 2006
                        • Edmonton, AB
                        • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by cgallery
                        Did you find that as dimensional lumber? I've read that some people that live in the south find SYP as dimensional lumber in their borgs. I don't know if it is true.
                        Actually I got my 4x4x4ft pieces off of tubing crates we got at work from either TX or OK, not sure which.
                        The only issue was the odd aluminum nail...thank you to whoever thought of using those. Brand new (at that time) BT3 hardly even noticed them.

The best lumber is free lumber.
                        Brian

Welcome to the school of life
                        Where corporal punishment is alive and well.

Comment

• Wood_workur
                          Veteran Member
                          • Aug 2005
                          • Ohio
                          • Ryobi bt3100-1

very nice.
                          Alex

Comment

Working...