• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ssmith1627
    • Dec 2005
    • Corryton, TN, USA.
    • Ryobi BT3100

Hf 2hp Dc

Well, looks like HF has the DC on sale again. Ad in Woodworker's Journal showing it for $159.99.

I can't find any of the coupons around any more so I'm gonna bite the bullet and get one today for this price.

Steve
  • kramer katt
    Established Member
    • Aug 2004
    • SO CAL, USA
    • BT3100 and Craftsman 100

The July 06 Am Woodworker had HF ad with price at $149.99 with expiration Jan 1, 2007 See previous thread if needed
    Not 10% less but something
    kk
    Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler
    --Albert Einstein

Comment

• ssmith1627
      • Dec 2005
      • Corryton, TN, USA.
      • Ryobi BT3100

Frustrated Already !

Guess this is HF so I should've expected it.

Got the DC......box looked fine, all taped up, even two white straps around it so looks perfectly normal. They must've rebanded it at the store because this is obviously a customer return. The packaging inside has all been opened and removed and then everything packed back up, the plastic bags of parts have been opened and then tied back in a knot, there is DIRT on the caster wheels and there's a piece of duct tape on one part.

Might've been nice to tell me THAT before they gave me that specific unit -- it was in the stock room and they loaded it into my Rodeo so I didn't like "pick it out". It may still run fine -- we'll see -- but I'm still irritated.

Beyond that I see that some of the nuts are already missing so I can't even do the first step of assembly tonight.

What do you guys think ? Worth a call to them ? Or just return it to the store before I go any further ?

Arrrrrrr...........

Steve

Comment

• buddyroo
        Forum Newbie
        • Aug 2006

I would return it so that I don't find out why the other guy had to.

Then I would complain vigorously that it is wrong to sell a returned item that has been opened and used as new.

Then I would suggest that an additional discount is appropriate in a situation like this.

Comment

• messmaker
          Veteran Member
          • May 2004
          • RICHMOND, KY, USA.
          • Ridgid 2424

Harbor freight would not reband a returned product. They have third parties that get rid of returns. They will take it back, No questions asked. You may want to give it a try if it is a huge job to return. Not a lot of parts to a D.C..
          Base
          motor
          bag supports
          motor support
          fan unit
          bags
          bag clamps
          short section of hose
          hose clamps
          Y fitting
          The rest is just bolts,nuts and washers. You could pick up the missing hardware for a couple of bucks if you don't have it already.
          Last edited by messmaker; 09-19-2006, 07:35 AM.
          spellling champion Lexington region 1982

Comment

• wassaw998
            • Jul 2004
            • Atlanta, GA, USA.

I agree that it is frustrating, but, that is not a HF only type deal, lots of stores will pack back up returns. That's one reason I always try to determine if the packaging has been opened up and if it looks like it, avoid it, on any purchase. I've even returned items myself to the big box stores (for example), to hear the returns person telling the stock person to "put it back on the shelf" - an item that I had opened and used and was not happy with....I'd take it back if it's not that huge of a hassle for you, ask for the manager, and ask for a new one, and open it in front of them to be sure it is. Or....maybe it's an omen, ...take it back, and get the delta 50-760.
            Chris

Comment

• LCHIEN
              Internet Fact Checker
              • Dec 2002
              • Katy, TX, USA.
              • BT3000 vintage 1999

They went to threaded baseplate and did away with a lot of nuts but never changed the instructions - this was over a year ago. If its still the same way (wouldn't surprise me) then it will seem like you are missing a lot of hardware.

You can fire up the motor and impesslor assy. w/o assembling it. That's really the main thing that can go wrong...
              Loring in Katy, TX USA
              If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
              BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• ssmith1627
                • Dec 2005
                • Corryton, TN, USA.
                • Ryobi BT3100

Sorry to say I didn't have time to get back to it last night -- still trying to get this rental house finished up for my inlaws.

But yes, I'll give that a try tonight -- at least turn it on and make sure things run as they should before I get further along in the assembly.

And thanks for the note about the base itself being threaded. I didn't even think to look so I will check that tonight as well. Now that you said that, I remember that from another thread where the HF DC was being discussed.

Hopefully I can sort it all out tonight.....just still bothers me.....why did someone else return it.....frustrating.

Thanks guys.

Comment

• jarhead
                  • May 2004
                  • Boynton Beach, FL.

Originally posted by ssmith1627
                  ...They must've rebanded it at the store because this is obviously a customer return...

What do you guys think ? Worth a call to them ? Or just return it to the store before I go any further ?
                  Steve,
                  The same thing happened with my BS. I had my uncle pick it up for me in PA and drive it to NY. Long story short... I called the store and had them discount it another 25% on top of the sale price. BTW, the BS did work fine and still does.

Comment

• ssmith1627
                    • Dec 2005
                    • Corryton, TN, USA.
                    • Ryobi BT3100

I put the sucker together last night -- really not much to it. It didn't have the manual in the box at all so I printed one from the HF site but honestly it was easier to look at the part drawing and the picture of the assembled unit and go from there.

I did have everything I needed to assemble it. So that's a relief.

It seems to work fine -- I wonder if someone got it and just wasn't happy with the unit or found how much dust still got back into the air with the bags that it comes with -- something like that.

I don't have any hoses to work with yet -- going to get some things today to get started with -- so I couldn't really test it. Hopefully can make a little more progress tonight.

Steve

Comment

• atgcpaul
                      Veteran Member
                      • Aug 2003
                      • Maryland
                      • Grizzly 1023SLX

Originally posted by kramer katt
                      The July 06 Am Woodworker had HF ad with price at $149.99 with expiration Jan 1, 2007 See previous thread if needed
                      Not 10% less but something
                      kk
                      The online price has it listed still at $229. I guess I need to find some back
                      issues of AMW.

Comment

• LCHIEN
                        Internet Fact Checker
                        • Dec 2002
                        • Katy, TX, USA.
                        • BT3000 vintage 1999

I put the sucker together last night -- really not much to it. It didn't have the manual in the box at all so I printed one from the HF site but honestly it was easier to look at the part drawing and the picture of the assembled unit and go from there.

I did have everything I needed to assemble it. So that's a relief.

It seems to work fine -- I wonder if someone got it and just wasn't happy with the unit or found how much dust still got back into the air with the bags that it comes with -- something like that.

I don't have any hoses to work with yet -- going to get some things today to get started with -- so I couldn't really test it. Hopefully can make a little more progress tonight.

Steve
                        The beef with the 2 HP DC is that it comes with stock 30 micron cut bags - that allows small particles to recirculate since they slip through the rather porous bags and you breathe these fine particles which are bad since they stay suspended for a while and they get deep in the lungs.

Since the unit has standard 20" rings, the quick list of solutions to get to around 1 micron cut are:

get a set of .5 micron bags from Grizzlytools.com - around $25 IIRC

get a canister upgrade from Jet/grizz/PennState for around $160

get the Wynn Environmental cartridge kit for abour $120.

There are Plus and minus to all of them mostly around convenience, not performance issues.
                        Loring in Katy, TX USA
                        If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.

Comment

• ssmith1627
                          • Dec 2005
                          • Corryton, TN, USA.
                          • Ryobi BT3100

I'm operating in a relatively small shop -- basically 1 1/2 cars worth of a 2 car garage.

So my idea is to build a small "closet" on the outside wall of the west side of my shop. This would house the DC and that ends up being on the back side of my house. I live out in the country so that side of the house is out of site and it won't be an eyesore to anyone.

I have a window right there so I can pass the duct through there and put a piece in the open part of the window to seal it up.

That saves me floorspace, eliminates the noise and gets that dust into the outside air or at least into that closet space.

See any issue with that ? The biggest drawback I can see is that it will be sucking out any hot or cold air I have in the garage while the DC is running.

Steve

Comment

• LCHIEN
                            Internet Fact Checker
                            • Dec 2002
                            • Katy, TX, USA.
                            • BT3000 vintage 1999

I'm operating in a relatively small shop -- basically 1 1/2 cars worth of a 2 car garage.

...The biggest drawback I can see is that it will be sucking out any hot or cold air I have in the garage while the DC is running.

Steve
                            and that's only a problem if you are paying good money to make it hot or cold.
                            Loring in Katy, TX USA

Comment

• ssmith1627
                              • Dec 2005
                              • Corryton, TN, USA.
                              • Ryobi BT3100

Exactly !

I'll take little steps.....put it out there temporarily and see what results I get. I have a lot of old lumber from where I rebuilt my deck recently so there's no real cost in building this "closet". I'll put a little shingle roof on it and get it sealed up from the weather.

It's an idea.....yet to be determined whether it's a good idea or a bad one.....

Steve

Comment

Working...