Woodcraft.com

BT3Central Forums

Go Back   BT3Central Forums > Discussions > Tool talk

Tool talk This forum is for discussions about any and all power tools. Whether you are looking to buy a new tool or you have a question about the usage of a tool, this is the place to be!

Old 11-28-2006, 10:12 PM
Established Member

oakchas is on a distinguished road
I say Nay Nay!

Nay Nay I say to expensive tools!

I want something that works, works well, and is reasonably priced. That is, after all, why I bought a BT3000 in the first place (that and it was way ahead of it's time when it came out).

I lament that I can no longer work on my own vehicle without thousands of dollars worth of diagnostic electronic tools. Can't use my timing light any more except on my Allis Chalmers tractor... I guess the trade off is I have a more efficient truck that gets a couple more miles to the gallon, and probably doesn't puke as many hydrocarbons into the atmosphere. But that's a different story.

Tools is what this is about.

What's all the hubbub about a "palm router?" Okay, I'll be specific... The Bosch Colt... WOW! ~$120 fer a one horse trim router! With Edge guide! Whoa! Such a deal!

You can't get the tilt attachment (which is a handy notion, BTW). You can't get a wheel guide, you can't get alot of stuff for it (at least not at Amazon... maybe soemwhere else?).

Pish posh! This is marketing at it's finest... I didn't know that I needed a 1 HP trim router... I need a table mount and router raiser for this bad boy! NOT!

Wanna save a hunnert bucks? And get the same tool?

Who wouldn't?

Why anyone who has half a brain knows you can't get the same tool for 10% of the price... And besides, The Colt is cool!

Ah... nuts!

Listen, you want a tool that'll do the same job? You want it for a lot less $$$? $90.00 bucks would buy a lotta board feet of red or white oak... or some less walnut... But no matter what $90.00 is $90.00...

This one even comes with 2 wrenches... no half working spindle lock... press real hard, it might work... And this one comes with a wheel bearing guide and an edge guide... and IIRC, a couple of spare brushes to replace the old ones when you wear 'em out.

Okay... It ain't variable speed. But I gotta fix for that for $10.00. It's not quite 1 whole horse either... but this is a trim router ferjimssake! I'ts about 2/3 horse and it's not quite as fast either... only 23,000 RPM instead of 35,000... But you don't really need all of them RPM any way less you're spinnin a panel raiser in that Colt... and if you are, you oughta be shot!

Okay so here's the deal:

One 2/3 HP, 23,000 RPM, 1/4 trim router with edge guide and wheel guide (for trimmin laminate)... Brand New. <$10.00

Variable Speed Add $10.00

Plus shipping

I don't sell 'em. I don't manufacture 'em. I am in no way associated with the mfg or distributor.

If you wanna know where and how.. ask...

I figure the folks on this site always usta have some common sense. This here is a test to see if they still do... Folks that wouldn't buy their kids Air Jordans certainly ain't falling for this marketing scam by bosch... are they?

this is not a bargain alert. This is regular pricing, BTW.. Buy two - they's cheap.

Charlie <<<gettin off the soap box and hoping to see some rational folks with good sense ask questions.
Old 11-28-2006, 10:18 PM
Veteran Member

cgallery is on a distinguished road
I'll bite. Tell me more.
Old 11-28-2006, 10:27 PM
Senior Metric Member

JSCOOK is on a distinguished road
Okay you're got my attention ... spill the beans ...
Old 11-28-2006, 10:46 PM
Established Member

nah... not yet....

surely, there's more sensible folks out there? C'mon! I ain't trollin' here... this is real... No chum in the water...

I've used mine for over 2 years... it still works as advertised.

<EDIT>
32 views.. 2 takers? Common sense is indeed gone!

Tell you what, I'll reveal all tomorrow morning ~8:30 AM my time... but surely there must be more curious about this? Speak up! I've just turned 51 years old... and I'm getting crumudgeonly in my old age...

Last edited by oakchas; 11-28-2006 at 11:04 PM.
Old 11-28-2006, 11:11 PM

linear is on a distinguished road
Tell us more, I like the beginning of the story, let's see how I like the end...

Old 11-28-2006, 11:18 PM
Veteran Member

TheRic is on a distinguished road
Thought of several things, but can't get the < $10.00
I know it's going to be something simple, specially with that price. I'll bet it will be a groaner once we find out.

How about a hand drill, the variable speed is a 12 pack.
Old 11-28-2006, 11:31 PM
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRic View Post
Thought of several things, but can't get the < $10.00
I know it's going to be something simple, specially with that price. I'll bet it will be a groaner once we find out.

How about a hand drill, the variable speed is a 12 pack.
Nope, I said trim router... I meant trim router... The distributor doesn't show up in the first 4 pages of google either... <10 bux really... for a trim router... that works... with edge guide and trim guide wheel for flush trimming.

I was wrong about the router speed control though... it's $15 bux not <$10... my bad... still save $90 though...
Old 11-28-2006, 11:49 PM

gjat is on a distinguished road
No kidding. I'm actually surprised at some of the tool purchases I read about here. Come on, this isn't WoodNet! Take a little pride in 'financial economy'. We didn't buy $1,500 saws, we bought Value, and to **** with the pretentiousness of bragging about the size of our trunions. ****, we all could make nice furniture if we were set loose in a furniture factory with their million dollor machines.

I'm actuall a little taken aback with the idea of even buying a trim router. I use my 1/4" Craftsman router I got from my dad, though I thought I'd get fancy and but the HF speed control on sale for $15 a few months ago. If I built cabinets for a living, it would be worth it, but to use it 3 or 4 times in 10 years?
Old 11-28-2006, 11:55 PM
Veteran Member

TheRic is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by oakchas View Post
...I was wrong about the router speed control though... it's $15 bux not <$10... my bad... still save $90 though...
Oh, a 18 pack of beer.

You still got me thinking!! Then again I never did understand the advantages to a trim router over a regular router, other than size / weight.
Old 11-29-2006, 12:19 AM

Tequila is on a distinguished road
I'm guessing this is the router that you're making such a deal about.

http://www.homier.com/detail.asp?Ses...cat=&sku=02735