BT3Central Forums

Go Back   BT3Central Forums > Discussions > Around the coffee pot

Around the coffee pot This forum is for any topic that you would normally talk about at the office "around the coffee pot". Jokes, tall tales, and true stories are welcome as long as they are clean and in good taste. I only ask that you steer away from topics on religion or politics. Go ahead and pull up a chair and pour yourself a cup of coffee and enjoy the conversation.

Old 12-08-2006, 02:54 PM
Established Member

movnup is on a distinguished road
Are Wood Cutting Boards "Safe" ???

I know this is a woodworking forum but I have a debate with my wife that I would love some opinions on. The story is that my parents were visiting this week and I grilled a large pork loin roast for a meal. I then tossed it on our wood cutting board over the Kohler sink like always to slice. My wife went a little out of control saying that it is unsafe and pulled out a plastic cutting board which is against my woodworking / barbeque religions.

I know that for raw meat like chicken you need to use hot water & soap after use but she said that with us using it for vegetables that there shouldn't be ANY meat raw or cooked. I've been using them all my life and never got sick so I was a little .............. !!!!!! I am also a barbeque groopie so she was messing with my masterpiece by placing it on ugly white plastic.

As I have been checking out the finished cutting boards posted as an upcoming project I could use some serious help. Wood versus ugly, boring, plain, flat, molded not routered edges, place on the counter in an incovenient spot for cutting, cheap, dishwasher safe, did I say very ugly white plastic ????
Old 12-08-2006, 03:30 PM
Veteran Member

Tom Slick is on a distinguished road
This is from John Boos www.johnboos.com
http://www.johnboos.com/support/docu...ce_report1.pdf
Old 12-08-2006, 03:48 PM
The Full Monte

JR is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Slick View Post
Wow, Tom, that is really interesting. This is also a source of much discussion in my household. I printed the Boos report to further the dialog (why do I do these things?).

In any case, using a bleach solution is highly recommended by professionals when cleaning surfaces on which meat has been prepared. Also for cleaning knives and other utensils that have touched meat. I'm not that religious, but I know I should be.

JR
Old 12-08-2006, 05:19 PM
Fishing The Amazon

Jeffrey Schronce is on a distinguished road
That is hillarious. A University of Wisconsin - Madison report from the Ag and Life Science College actually uses the word "ain't" in the report.
Old 12-08-2006, 05:36 PM
Windbag-In-Training

Tom Miller is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey Schronce View Post
That is hillarious. A University of Wisconsin - Madison report from the Ag and Life Science College actually uses the word "ain't" in the report.
Well, to be fair, they were just using a colloquialism. For correct form, though, the entire phrase "it just ain't so" should have had quotes around it.

Regards,
Tom (who ain't a real stickler, but does no good from bad English, but doesn't always show it)
Old 12-08-2006, 05:50 PM
Veteran Member

mschrank is on a distinguished road
The meat was cooked.

No problem.

Your wife was right (those of you who are married know what I mean )

Drywall screws are not wood screws
Old 12-08-2006, 06:10 PM

GeekMom is on a distinguished road
I have two cutting boards - one for meat and one for everything else. Clean both boards with hot, soapy water and use a little bleach on the meat board. I prefer wooden boards as well (big surprise!). Besides being a lot more attractive, my knives don't seem to dull as quickly.
Old 12-08-2006, 06:28 PM
Veteran Member

lcm1947 is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the site Tomslick. I appreciate learning stuff like this. Sure surprised me though.
Old 12-08-2006, 09:57 PM
BBQ Aficionado/Wood Nut

whitecobra is on a distinguished road
Since I am both a doc and a caterer (retired doc but not quite retired caterer yet) I can tell you the answer to "is the wood board safe" is answered by "it depends"

If the wood is Oak for example the answer is NO if it is Maple then the answer is YES

Maple will actually kill bugs and plastic has NO killing affect

The plastic boards have ONE advantage if NEW they leave no place for the bacteria to get into. If cut (like most are) they are actually far less safe then wood

If a food inspector looks at your boards and they are wood (NSF approved) then they are fine if they are cut plastic they are TRASHED on site.

So to answer to the question "is wood safer then plastic?" COULD be yes and is likley yes but make sure the wood is maple (there are some other woods that wook as well walnt being one but they are few and far between) and if plastic make sure there are no cuts in the surface

Either one can and should be cleaned with iodophor cleaners (commercial stuff) or the home cleaner version called bleach disolved in water

Good luck and you win this one with the wife so enjoy

Dr Dave

If you are in the Orlando area contact me lets get together and talk saw dust (or food or anything else you like except sports)

My wife and I are National Food Judges so we CAN talk food with the best.

Dr Dave
Old 12-08-2006, 10:30 PM
Veteran Member

lcm1947 is on a distinguished road
Yeah and now all he has to do is throw that in the little ladies face. Bet she eats that up - or him!