Visit Rockler.com - Woodworking Superstore!

BT3Central Forums

Go Back   BT3Central Forums > Discussions > Tool talk

Tool talk This forum is for discussions about any and all power tools. Whether you are looking to buy a new tool or you have a question about the usage of a tool, this is the place to be!

Old 09-18-2004, 09:24 AM
Established Member

vinht is on a distinguished road
Removing Bandsaw Wheel

I need to remove the upper wheel of my Grizzly bandsaw. I believe it is friction fitted on a bearing. I can't seem to muscle it out and either need a tool or any ideas to get the wheel off. I know there is a tool for this but forgot the name of it. I'd rather not have to buy something just to pull off the wheel though.

Any advice?

Thanks,
Vinh
Old 09-18-2004, 09:47 AM
The Full Monte

LarryG will become famous soon enough
My Grizzly G0555 is at home, and I'm not, but without looking I'd guess that you're going to need some variant of a hub or pulley puller:

http://www.toolking.com/performance/view.asp?id=1298

Got any friends who are auto mechanics, either as a vocation or an avocation? They would almost certainly have what you need. The trick will be finding one with the right provisions to grab onto the bandsaw wheel somehow.
Old 09-18-2004, 09:49 AM
Established Member

rbfunk is on a distinguished road
Vinh,
There is a tool called a wheel puller or pulley puller. I think this is what you are looking for. It's 2 or 3 armsconnected to a threaded shaft. The arms hook behind the wheel and then you turn the shaft to press against the axel thus pulling the wheel from the back. You might have to check an automotive store to find one.
Good luck
Bob
Old 09-18-2004, 10:47 AM

dkhoward is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to dkhoward Send a message via Yahoo to dkhoward
Some of the national chair auto stores offer free tool use. Check around and see if one of them won't lend you a puller for a couple of hours.
Old 09-18-2004, 11:21 AM
Veteran Member

Andrew Benedetto is on a distinguished road
I had to remove the bearing on my BMW K1 motorcycle and the service manual instructed to heat the rim since aluminum has a larger coefficent of expansion than steel and will allow removal of the bearing. I soaked the wheel in boiling water and used a heat gun. DONOT hit against the inner race or you will damage the bearing. HF has a bearing punch to allow you to hit the outer race or you can use a socket. You need to support the wheel as not to bend it,maybe another larger socket or PVC fitting on the opposite side. I have used PVC fittings and the are good if you can find the right size. Auto parts store have many bearing sizes and can probably you can you use a loaner tool too.

I reread your post and I was describing how to remove the bearing. Tou may need a pulley type remover to get the wheel off.
Old 09-18-2004, 11:37 AM
Established Member

Thanks guys. Grizzly actually sells this puller that may work and is relatively cheap. Not sure if it will work for the bandsaw wheel though. I need to order a new bearing for the upper wheel so I may just get this puller if Grizzly tells me it will work. They're not open today so I'll have to wait until Monday to find out.

My free bandsaw gloat is turning into a nightmare! [V]

Vinh
Old 09-18-2004, 04:25 PM
Needs More Clamps

tfischer is on a distinguished road
I may have missed it in another thread, but is the saw unusable as you got it? I remember you said it vibrated a little but it sounded like it was still usable...

Harbor freight has some pulley pullers as well, I remember you were thinking of placing an order a week or so ago, and you can get free shipping over $50...

-Tim
Old 09-18-2004, 05:26 PM
Veteran Member

Scottydont is on a distinguished road
How about calling Grizzly first? If the wheel is cast if my be fragile to that kind of force. Most likely will need a puller of some type.

Edmonds WA

No coffee, no worky!
Old 09-18-2004, 08:21 PM
Established Member

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by tfischer

I may have missed it in another thread, but is the saw unusable as you got it? I remember you said it vibrated a little but it sounded like it was still usable...
Tim,

When I first got the saw and tuned it the saw was working fairly well. Had some wobble to the blade but I was able to cut with it. Being the type to get something perfect I had to fiddle with it some more to see if I could get it cutting better. Well, sadly, I made it worse.

So far I have spent $30 on a lower wheel and now am considering buying a puller and some bearings for the upper wheel. I think after making additional adjustments to the saw I had tighten the nut holding the upper wheel to tight. It eventually ruined the upper bearing and now the saw is not even functional. If I decide to do this I'll end up spending a total of about $50 and am not sure if I will have a better functioning saw than when I first received it! Hopefully, if none of this works I'll be able to return the lower wheel.

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by S.Muth

How about calling Grizzly first? If the wheel is cast if my be fragile to that kind of force. Most likely will need a puller of some type.
Smuth,

I plan on calling Grizzly first thing Monday morning. They were not open today due to a tent sale, at least that's what the recording said. And they are closed Sunday.

Vinh
Old 09-19-2004, 01:19 AM
Internet Fact Checker

LCHIEN will become famous soon enoughLCHIEN will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to LCHIEN Send a message via Yahoo to LCHIEN
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by vinht

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by tfischer

Tim,

When I first got the saw and tuned it the saw was working fairly well. Had some wobble to the blade but I was able to cut with it. Being the type to get something perfect I had to fiddle with it some more to see if I could get it cutting better. Well, sadly, I made it worse.

So far I have spent $30 on a lower wheel and now am considering buying a puller and some bearings for the upper wheel. I think after making additional adjustments to the saw I had tighten the nut holding the upper wheel to tight. It eventually ruined the upper bearing and now the saw is not even functional. If I decide to do this I'll end up spending a total of about $50 and am not sure if I will have a better functioning saw than when I first received it! Hopefully, if none of this works I'll be able to return the lower wheel.

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by S.Muth

Smuth,

I plan on calling Grizzly first thing Monday morning. They were not open today due to a tent sale, at least that's what the recording said. And they are closed Sunday.

Vinh
Sounds like a fair to middling poker hand that went bad after the first raise.
Maybe its time to throw this hand in before putting too much (time and money) in the pot.