BT3Central Forums

Go Back   BT3Central Forums > Discussions > Tool talk

Tool talk This forum is for discussions about any and all power tools. Whether you are looking to buy a new tool or you have a question about the usage of a tool, this is the place to be!

Old 01-27-2007, 03:33 PM
Veteran Member

Andrew Benedetto is on a distinguished road
I use either the 3/8" HFT $20(sale)pro air impact or the Ryobi 18v if fully charged.
I think the spec . on my commercial Toro , is 40-50'#'s/~500-700"#'s.
I agree, cheaterbars on Ratchets regardless of warranty is not safe. I often use my 3/4" ratchet(CM) w. a 3/4"-1/2"socket adapter on my truck repairs.
If you want a very good impact that will have hi torque, the Husky black composite 1/2" impact hybrid ~ $130 (FL pneumatic) is excellent(very similar to IR's gun); quiet, light, easily removes my F-350 lugs(175'#'s) that my CP 734 gun had trouble with. Lifetime warranty too, like Snap-On and about 80% less cost.
BTW I have never had the blade spin removing the bolt w. an impact w. my mower. It has a release brake on the blade.
Old 01-27-2007, 04:38 PM
Veteran Member

Perfidiajoe is on a distinguished road
The reason you block the blade is so you don't spin the blade into your hand. Do it to be safe no mater which way you remove the blade
Old 01-28-2007, 06:05 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfidiajoe View Post
The reason you block the blade is so you don't spin the blade into your hand. Do it to be safe no mater which way you remove the blade
Thanks for your concern but with my impact wrenches, mower blades do not move, either direction, IF you know how to use them. My mower's brake also helps. My hands are on the impact tool not anywhere near the blade.
I would block the blade if I had to use hand tools which is far more risky. The cheater bar is not a good idea here, and should only be used on fixed tools, not ratchets. My BMW MC, has a factory toolkit and you have to use a slip-over extension on the lug wrench to remove the rear wheel bolts.
If you do truck/auto repair you know how an impact wrench works and one use is to remove fasteners without the parts spinning, like shock mounting nuts on the shaft.
I hardly use my air ratchets, and would not use it for blade removal.
Old 01-28-2007, 09:10 AM
Veteran Member

If I Know How To use them? Pal I have been in charge of all the hort. equipment for the N.Y.C. Parks Dept. for 27 years, & every manufacturer will tell you the same thing, "Block the Blade". Do You think they say that because they have too much space in the owners manual? You can do as you like! But don't tell someone who don't know to do something potentially unsafe.
Old 01-28-2007, 10:25 AM
Veteran Member

Joe, I do not know why you are taking this personal. This is a discussion and the "Pal" is not really friendly.

I am not telling anyone on how to do anything, I am explaining how I do it with my Toro. The OP seemed to not be familiar w. impact tools. I prefer not to use a hand method on MY Toro, b/c it has a autoblade brake that is engaged when the drive is released. It simply will not turn w,. an impact wrench if used properly. The block could be placed but it would do nothing to stop the blade b/c it does not move anyway when using the impact wrench.
This is not telling anyone on how they should do anything. I do not feel that a hand method is safe without the correct block b/c they can slip.
There are commercial products to hold the blade, but most would use an improvised method, that could be unsafe too.
I have been around cars,trucks, MC's over 30 years. I worked as a mechanic for my uncle for a time too. I do my own repairs, so I am experienced too. I try to be safe as well.
The safety issue is operated dependant. It is an endless argument. Never do anything that you feel is unsafe. I feel an extention on a ratchet could be usafe and I do no do that either.
Old 01-28-2007, 11:58 AM
Veteran Member

I only replied that way when I read "If you know how to use them" With A capital If. When someone asks they don't know as much as, or need to know more. So I always try to be more safe with my details. I'm sorry for jumping on you, I believed it to be in defense. Joe
Old 01-28-2007, 12:11 PM
Veteran Member

Thank you for the reply, I guess I also need to be more careful.
Funny how that works, I did the "IF" for the OP and others sake since if unfamiliar with impact guns, I would not want anyone to get hurt with a blade involved. I had thoughts of someone adding a "cheaterbar" to a ratchet and the block comming loose or the ratchet paws breaking.
That was not directed at anyone, just a precaution for safety.
I think we were on the same idea actually. You would know best as far as this type of equipment goes being a pro at it.(I looked at your profile after I replied) I will try to be more careful in giving advice when safety issues are concerned.
Maybe you could explain the safest way(s) you use to remove a mower blade.
Old 01-28-2007, 04:24 PM
Forum Newbie

Richard is on a distinguished road
Forget the cheap 1/2" or 3/8" drive impact. Forget the air ratchet too. Air ratchet will only provide as much torque as you can pull with your arms. You want something that will take the bolt off with a minimum of fuss.

Here is what I recommend.

http://www.thetoolwarehouse.net/shop/IR-2135TI.html

BTW....don't confuse inch-pounds with foot-pounds.
Old 01-30-2007, 12:04 PM
Established Member

Uncle Hook is on a distinguished road
Gang - Thanks to everyone for the great advice.

I just picked up a 3/8 Breaker bar at my local HF store for $8.00. Between that, some penetrating liquid, and my Milwaulkee 1/4 impact driver, I should be all set to change the blade.