X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • CarlMDB

early bt3000 motor brushes

Hi,
    I registered here to share my recent experience with brushes. I own two early bt3000, one of which is in daily use at work (builder). Had a brush failure, and then discovered that they are NLA.

Ordered the (wrong)later brushes, returned them.

I want to keep these saws running, for all the reasons well documented here.

Eventually, I went to my local hardware store and looked at the generic brushes. I saw that there was one which was very close to half the size of the Ryobi brush. So I bought four, sanded them down to size, recontored the radius by sanding on a round surface same size as the armature, and installed two brushes into each brush holder. Two springs, leads, etc. It was a tight fit, but got it in. After all, it's all conducting to the armature. I must admit this was not machine shop quality work, I was experimenting.

Ran the saw for a few minutes with no load, then tuned up the sticky switch , cleaned the shims and guides,(thanks for the tips on shim retainers, I have used the double stick tape with no problems for a few years), then took the saw back to work.

It's been in service for two months now, with no apparent problems.

HTH

Carl
  • CarlMDB

I'm back to report that now, a year later, this repair has held up without any problems through a very TS intensive whole house renovoation (I'm a GC) where we ripped a lot of interior trim out of 3/4 MDF sheets.

I haven't taken it apart to look at it, but since it has held up this long , I am satisfied.

Summary: you can make your own brush sizes succesfully and keep the BT3000 running.

Comment

• LCHIEN
      Internet Fact Checker
      • Dec 2002
      • Katy, TX, USA.
      • BT3000 vintage 1999

thanks for the tips!

glad to see a BT3000 in professional use.
      Loring in Katy, TX USA
      If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
      BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

Working...