• Show
Clear All
  • scmhogg
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2003
    • Simi Valley, CA, USA.
    • BT3000

Fit for a Fish

Sometime ago, LOML got a Betta [AKA Siamese Fighting Fish]. He was a beautiful fish, a brilliant metalic red, with long flowing tail and fins. While we have always had a rotating menagerie here, I never thought of fish as being pets. More like decorations.

However, Eugene, seemed to like our company. He would come to the side of the bowl when you approached. He would even ignore his food if you were close by. I'm aware of the blatant anthropomorphism I am indulging in, but, he was a nice fish. Well, Eugene died yesterday.

LOML said she didn't want the usual burial at sea, via the porcelain altar. So, I went to the shop and. . . .

Steve
    I would never die for my beliefs because I might be wrong. Bertrand Russell
  • DonHo
    Veteran Member
    • Mar 2004
    • Shawnee, OK, USA.
    • Craftsman 21829

RIP Eugene.
    Good job. As somone who owned 2 tropical fish shops and raised thousands of fish, I'm glad my wife didn't insist on a coffin for every fish who died

DonHo
    Don

Comment

• Ed62
      The Full Monte
      • Oct 2006
      • NW Indiana
      • BT3K

No doubt he'll rest in peace now.

Ed
      Do you know about kickback? Ray has a good writeup here... https://www.sawdustzone.org/articles...mare-explained

For a kickback demonstration video http://www.metacafe.com/watch/910584...demonstration/

Comment

• cabinetman
        Gone but not Forgotten RIP
        • Jun 2006
        • So. Florida
        • Delta

Sorry to hear about Eugene. We've got 3 aquariums, so I really feel for you. You did a great job on the coffin, but I'm thinkin' it might get stuck in the toilet.

Comment

• LCHIEN
          Internet Fact Checker
          • Dec 2002
          • Katy, TX, USA.
          • BT3000 vintage 1999

I suppose that's more fitting than an anchovy tin.
          I myself once built a coffin for a parakeet.
          Loring in Katy, TX USA
          If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
          BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• Copper
            Established Member
            • Feb 2005
            • Madison, WI.
            • BT3100

Can you imagine some archaeologist digging that up in a thousand years? That'll keep them guessing...
            - Dennis

"If your mind goes blank, don't forget to turn off the sound." --Red Green
            and yes, it's a potato.

Comment

• Russianwolf
              Veteran Member
              • Jan 2004
              • Martinsburg, WV, USA.
              • One of them there Toy saws

sorry for the loss.

I nearly had to make one of those recently too. I was doing a water change of about half the water in our tank and when I put the fish back in the smallest (and the one we've had the longest, he was a feeder that I used to start our ponds) goldfish got some bad chlorine burns. I ran out and got some snow melt and warmed it as quickly as I could, I even had to do chest compressions at one point. a couple days later he got fungus due to the loss of his slime, we've been treating that for a week or so. I took him out at one point and gave him a H30 bath to cut the amount of fungus on him down (he was looking like a sheep). We are still keeping an eye on him, but he's through the worst and has started eating again. He's a real survivor.
              Mike
              Lakota's Dad

If at first you don't succeed, deny you were trying in the first place.

Comment

• gabedad
                Established Member
                • May 2005
                • Chelmsford, MA.
                • unfortunately bts-15

It's very nice - but he was born of the sea - he should be returned there.

Comment

• LCHIEN
                  Internet Fact Checker
                  • Dec 2002
                  • Katy, TX, USA.
                  • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by Russianwolf
                  sorry for the loss.

I nearly had to make one of those recently too. I was doing a water change of about half the water in our tank and when I put the fish back in the smallest (and the one we've had the longest, he was a feeder that I used to start our ponds) goldfish got some bad chlorine burns. I ran out and got some snow melt and warmed it as quickly as I could, I even had to do chest compressions at one point. a couple days later he got fungus due to the loss of his slime, we've been treating that for a week or so. I took him out at one point and gave him a H30 bath to cut the amount of fungus on him down (he was looking like a sheep). We are still keeping an eye on him, but he's through the worst and has started eating again. He's a real survivor.
                  you did CPR on a goldfish???? Did you blow in his gills?
                  Loring in Katy, TX USA
                  If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                  BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• LarryG
                    The Full Monte
                    • May 2004
                    • Off The Back
                    • Powermatic PM2000, BT3100-1

Mike, may I have your permission to cut and paste that story into the "Keep It Going" thread?
                    Larry

Comment

• Russianwolf
                      Veteran Member
                      • Jan 2004
                      • Martinsburg, WV, USA.

Originally posted by LarryG
                      Mike, may I have your permission to cut and paste that story into the "Keep It Going" thread?
                      go for it, it wouldn;t be nearly as funny if it weren't true.
                      Mike
                      Lakota's Dad

Comment

• Russianwolf
                        Veteran Member
                        • Jan 2004
                        • Martinsburg, WV, USA.

Originally posted by gabedad
                        It's very nice - but he was born of the sea - he should be returned there.
                        actually the natural habitat of a beta is a muddy puddle.
                        Mike
                        Lakota's Dad

Comment

• Russianwolf
                          Veteran Member
                          • Jan 2004
                          • Martinsburg, WV, USA.

Originally posted by Russianwolf
                          sorry for the loss.

What with the health of my husky, I've been alittle distracted. But here's an update on Wooly (in reference to his sheep-like appearance during his illness). He made it. Looks like a full recovery. His scales are turning orange again and the slime coat has returned. He's a very happy little fish.
                          Mike
                          Lakota's Dad

Comment

• MilDoc

Sorry for your loss. But, I've heard of placing pennies over the eyes of the departed --- but a quarter? is that just inflation?

Comment

Working...