Exterior Latex Paint : pre-mixed with Primer?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • radhak
    Veteran Member
    • Apr 2006
    • Miramar, FL
    • Right Tilt 3HP Unisaw

Exterior Latex Paint : pre-mixed with Primer?

I went to buy exterior paint from HD for my Picnic table. The guy there was very friendly, and suggested that if I buy Behr he could mix the primer with the paint so that I would not need to prime-it-then-paint-it. For some 'technical' reason he said he could not do this with Glidden; nor could he do it with 'Hi-gloss', only semi-gloss or less. I needed a quart each of three different colors (hey, it's a kids picnic table ), so I allowed him to persuade me for this 'pre-mix' for all three cans of paint.

So first of all, is this a good idea? Does this pre-mixing of primer and paint work well? Why is this not done all the time?

Secondly, at the checkout I realized I had paid for a quart of semi-gloss paint, while part of that quart was primer (which is cheaper). Guess I could not have helped that?
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    - Aristotle
  • steve-norrell
    Veteran Member
    • Apr 2006
    • The Great Land - Alaska
    • BT3100-1

Sounds strange to me, even with my very limited experience. Strange but interesting.

I doubt that the primer is designed to withstand weather and I would be concerned that mixing primer and paint, especially for an outdoor application, would seriously compromise the durability of the outside coat. I would also want to know if the mixing compromised the primer itself; that is, does the mixing reduce the ability of the primer to provide a good surface for adherance of paint.

I have heard of adding tint to primer so it is close to, but slightly lighter, than the final color. (The slightly lighter color helps in ensuring full coverage of the final coat.) This is supposed to produce a better looking finshed job.

If it were me, I would not mix the two.

Regards, Steve

Comment

• movnup
      Established Member
      • Aug 2006
      • Seattle
      • BT3000

This sounds like another HD adventure in getting the wrong stuff for the job based on what they don't know but think they do !!!! Primer and paint have two very separate and distinct functions as follows:

1) Primer seals the wood / drywall / etc. and creates a bonding surface for the paint to adhere to.
      2) Paint coats the wood / metal / etc. and offers protection from whatever type of elements it will be exposed to and the different formulas for each (indoor/ outdoor/ metal/ plastic / industrial/ chemical / etc).

I use Kilz water base primer for most of my home projects as it covers well, is easy to work with and clean up, and you don't need to tint if you have two coats of any style of paint following it (eggshell, satin, semi, or gloss).

I learned this from a friend who used to paint Boeing 747's for a living. His 454 blown Corvette had 27 coats on it (it changed colors as you walked around it) and his house followed the multiple steps I steps I outlined in a previous post. Personally I have had very bad luck with HD paint and now always go to a true paint store. Painting is all set up time to do it right and for the amount of work it takes to get it right I personally want something that will last.

Comment

• bigangelman
        Forum Newbie
        • Nov 2006
        • Northern Wisconsin
        • BT3000

primer & paint mixed?

That guy is loony! I've only been painting since 1976 so with my limited experience I would advise a good oil based primer. The slower it dries the stronger the bond. Remember you only get one chance at the first coat all other coats will depend upon what you do then. Tinting a primer, yes that can help with the next coats. In my book most of those latex primers aren't worth the value of the can it's in. They just dry too fast and lay only on the surface. Even with the oil base I like to thin it just a bit to get some penetration into the wood, I even sometimes put 2 coats of primer. I am assuming the wood you will be painting will be throughly dry. Once the primer has dried and cured I'd put any Acrylic Latex paint on it you'd like. Saving a few dollars is great, on paint it's not in your best interest if you plan on having the item around for a while. The job is mostly prep work so putting the best product to the elements you can will help preserve the prep work you did.

Tom

Comment

• Daryl
          • May 2004

Some painters will tint the primer with paint for better coverage, but in this instance I think the sum is less than the parts. I would take the paint back and have them replace it.
          Sometimes the old man passed out and left the am radio on so I got to hear the oldie songs and current event kind of things

Comment

• Cheeky
            • Nov 2006
            • westchester cty, new york
            • Ridgid TS2400LS

tinted primer ok; primer/finish paint hybrid not ok.

the guy is off his rocker.

semi or gloss exterior should not be compromised, especially with primer. you should always use primer, but not in this manner.

BTW, I think the alcohol based primers are fantastic.
            Last edited by Cheeky; 04-26-2007, 08:34 PM.
            Pete

Comment

• radhak
              Veteran Member
              • Apr 2006
              • Miramar, FL
              • Right Tilt 3HP Unisaw

Okay, an update - somewhat enlightening.

I called HomeDepot to ask if I could return this paint (just wanted to see what they said). Got routed to another, then another, finally to some expert (felt like in a different store). Sounded like he knew his stuff.

Long story short, he guided me to read specific portions of all the blah-blah on the quart-can. And guess what - this is a new product from Behr : called "Behr Premium Plus Ultra - Primer and Paint in One", which has "Nanoguard technology - Patent Pending". It was all there on the printed matter, I was just not reading it closely.

I googled and found references to it; though not very explanatory, enough for me to believe that guy the other day was not just being inventive - at least Behr claims this works, and that because of "nano-technology" ...

Anyway, I am thinking of being a pioneer and using this like prescribed - no separate primer. wish me luck...
              It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
              - Aristotle

Comment

• jhart
                Veteran Member
                • Feb 2004
                • Minneapolis, MN, USA.
                • BT3100

Good Luck Let us know how it holds up in a year or so.
                Joe
                "All things are difficult before they are easy"

Comment

• cgallery
                  Veteran Member
                  • Sep 2004
                  • Milwaukee, WI
                  • BT3K

You gotta love it when companies try to obfuscate their relatively simple ideas with words like "nano technology." What are we supposed to do with that?

My guess is that this is another stab at "primerless paint," which manufacturers have attempted over and over. It is primarily marketed to those that hate to paint and don't want to do any more of it than necessary.

Comment

• radhak
                    Veteran Member
                    • Apr 2006
                    • Miramar, FL
                    • Right Tilt 3HP Unisaw

Joe, if it holds up for a year on this small kids table, I would be pretty happy , though just a year on a regular exterior job (the house, for example) would suck. But you are right, I'd know enough by then to praise it or diss it.

Phil, that 'nano' in the name makes me want to hug that PR guy who thought it up . It must have given him a huge bonus because of articles like this, though funnily, you can't find 'nano' on Behr's website
                    - Aristotle

Comment

• crokett
                      The Full Monte
                      • Jan 2003
                      • Mebane, NC, USA.
                      • Ryobi BT3000

Behr has been advertising this paint for a few months. I might use it for interior projects/walls but I would not use it for anything exterior.
                      David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• gsmittle
                        Veteran Member
                        • Aug 2004
                        • St. Louis, MO, USA.
                        • BT 3100

Originally posted by Cheeky

BTW, I think the alcohol based primers are fantastic.
                        Does it go into the painter?

g.
                        Smit

"Be excellent to each other."
                        Bill & Ted

Comment

Working...