X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jarhead
    • May 2004
    • Boynton Beach, FL.

quote:Originally posted by LarryG

Jarhead, the Wynn's filter is 0.5 micron (other brands may vary), so it'll filter out finer particles than a 1 micron bag. Further, the filter is pleated which means a MUCH larger surface area than the bag has, so you get more total airflow. This page ...

http://www.wynnenv.com/9e300bl_conversion.htm

... does a good job of explaining both the basic principles and the kind of results you can expect.

EDIT: Those are the pros; I suppose the biggest cons of a filter conversion would be the cost, and work involved in doing it.
    Larry,
    The Wynn canister conversion sounds intriguing and the price is cheaper compared to other canisters. Can you explain why the need for plastic bags? Can't the lower bag that came with the HF DC be used?

Comment

• LarryG
      The Full Monte
      • May 2004
      • Off The Back
      • Powermatic PM2000, BT3100-1

quote:Originally posted by jarhead

Can you explain why the need for plastic bags? Can't the lower bag that came with the HF DC be used?
      No. The stock bag is WAY too porous. The whole point of doing the filter conversion is to capture finer particles. The stock bag will just let them right back out out into your shop again.

I suppose you could use a better-quality cloth bag on the bottom, but they're expensive and with the increased surface area of the cartridge you no longer need the bottom bag to be able to "breathe." So you might as well use a plastic bag, which is cheaper.

BTW, let me clarify that I have NOT done this conversion myself. I'm just relaying what I've read, what I've been told, etc.
      Larry

Comment

• stewchi
        Established Member
        • Apr 2003
        • Chattanooga, TN.

The other advantage of the canister is the rating actually means something. The canisters have to follow a set procedure and formula for arriving at what value the canister filters to. The bags are not regulated in this manner. That means a 1 micron bag is probably only be 1 micron with a ton a dust caked on the inside so much so that the systems is severally chocked. The canister rating at .5 should be pretty accurate to what you will get.

Comment

• BobSch
          • Aug 2004
          • Minneapolis, MN, USA.
          • BT3100

This just in: Wynn now caries a larger filter that doesn't need the donut.

http://www.bt3central.com/forum/topi...TOPIC_ID=14223
          Bob

Bad decisions make good stories.

Comment

• LCHIEN
            Internet Fact Checker
            • Dec 2002
            • Katy, TX, USA.
            • BT3000 vintage 1999

quote:Originally posted by jarhead

Can someone please explain the pro and cons of canister system as opposed to 1 micron bags.
            quote:
            Can you explain why the need for plastic bags? Can't the lower bag that came with the HF DC be used?

THe other great thing about the plastic bags -
            when they're full (and you can see) you just tie 'em up and throw them out. Very clean.

If you try to reuse the cloth bag (even if you don't mind them spewing out the fines) on the bottom, then emptying it becomes a messy, dusty chore in which all the dust you captured ends up back in the air (maybe in your shop) and you breathe it in all at once instead of over days...

What the others said about the low restriction and fine filtering is correct.

The restriction is low enough that the canister on top has less flow restriction than two bags together, hence you can do away with the bottom filter bag and just use a catch bag. When you have a filter bag on the bottom, as it fills the filtering performance is compromised so you end up having to empty and clean it often (or suffer reduced flow) - another disadvantage.

Loring in Katy, TX USA
            If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
            BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• BostonBullit
              Established Member
              • Dec 2003
              • Medway, MA, USA.

another drawback to cartridge filters is that they clog easier than filter bags do, especially if you don't have a pre-seperator in your setup. This is why bolson pushes heavily for the neutral vane, which helps keep stuff from flying up into the filter (in addition to increasing the overall performance of the DC).

I am running the HF with JET clear plastic bottom bags (they're what rockler had in stock when I went in) and the original wynn filter on top. I will probably add a neutral vane at some point but haven't gotten around to it yet; I do however run a trashcan lid seperator and only use 4" pipe and flex in my system. I keep a scrap piece of cutoff next to the DC and before I leave the shop for the evening I beat the filter like a pinyatta to knock all of the fine dust off the pleats inside...you can see it all falling into the clear bottom bag, it's quite satisfying - especially if you haven't had the best luck in the shop that day!

Peter
              \"will trade this sig space for lumber\"

Comment

• bolson
                Established Member
                • Sep 2003
                • Charlotte, MI, USA.

quote:Originally posted by BostonBullit

another drawback to cartridge filters is that they clog easier than filter bags do, especially if you don't have a pre-seperator in your setup. This is why bolson pushes heavily for the neutral vane, which helps keep stuff from flying up into the filter (in addition to increasing the overall performance of the DC).
                Yup, I have only had one clog in the several months I've had my cartridge filter (8 hrs a week of use) and this was when I sawed up an entire sheet of MDF into 3/4" lumber stickers. Other than that I just give the cartridge a couple of whacks before turning it one for the day and a bunch of just will always fall out.

A NV does good for large chips and MOST dust, but just can't get enough cyclonic action to drop out enough of the fine MDF dust. However, it only took 5 mintues to pop off the filter and tilt it and give it a few whacks to unclog it.

This isn't a huge concern to me with the MDF causing problems as I hear that this is also an issue with other dust collectors of the same design with a proper NV (i.e. Jet). It seems the only way to drop out really super fine dust like MDF dust is to have a proper cyclone such as those from Oneida or the Pentz designed one.
                Woodworking forum highlights on my blog at http://woodworking-in-charlotte.blogspot.com/

Comment

Working...