• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ejs1097
    Established Member
    • Mar 2005
    • Pittsburgh, PA, USA.

Cool shopmade sanding block

I have 1 of those rubber blocks with the embedded tacks. They work good but but the rubber can mar mating surfaces, the sandpaper needs trimed and you need a screwdriver to get the paper off for a change.

This design was in an e-tip a few years back. I sized it up so it's 1/4 of a sheet long wise and full sheet width wise (no trimming). The paper is held in very tight and doesn't wiggle (like the store bought one). 1 end is rounded and the other square for getting into corners. The paper is held in with 1/2" tubing. I made a bunch for the kid's workshop to give to them but made about 5-6 for myself. Then I have at least 1 per grit to eliminate changing paper to use a different grit. The less hassel (and less time) during sanding makes me a happier sander.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by ejs1097; 05-14-2007, 09:25 AM.
    Eric
    Be Kind Online
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

hey, that's a neat idea. Esp the rubber tubing holder
    Are the "slots" for holding the paper ends
    (1) 1/2" dia.?
    (2) how far is the center of the hole from the edge... 3/16th?
    (3) How did you make the slot - router or drill press?
    (4) if a router, is there a ball end bit
    (5) if a drill, did you sandwich two pieces together to keep the bit from breaking out or was the bit well behaved sticking partly out like that?
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• ragswl4
      Veteran Member
      • Jan 2007
      • Winchester, Ca
      • C-Man 22114

It's on its way to the copy machine. Thanks for sharing, it looks like a great addtion to the tool bin.
      RAGS
      Raggy and Me in San Felipe
      sigpic

Comment

• ejs1097
        Established Member
        • Mar 2005
        • Pittsburgh, PA, USA.

1) The "slot" is 1/2"
        2) Not sure exactly, I winged it and the first time it was pretty good. But I'd guess and say the center point is about 1/8" from the edge.
        3) 1/2" Forstner bit. Worked great and very easy. I couldn't go all the way through with my DP so some perfectly alligned stop blocks were needed to line up the holes for flipping.
        5)nope, drilled 1 at a time. Bit behaved very nicely and bored perfect, no walking.

- The block is 2 5/8" x 4 7/8", with the round-over on 1 end, 5" would be better.
        - finger slot is 1/2" round nose 1/8" deep 2 1/2" long. also used stopblocks here.
        - wood-free. 1/2" plastic tubing was $3.00 for 10' at BORG. I made 11 and used a little more the 5'.
        Eric
        Be Kind Online

Comment

• LarryG
          The Full Monte
          • May 2004
          • Off The Back
          • Powermatic PM2000, BT3100-1

Neat. I need to make up some of these.

Originally posted by LCHIEN
          (4) if a router, is there a ball end bit
          For your bit-shopping pleasure, these are typically called core box bits; or, occasionally, fluting bits. Many of the budget assortment sets include at least one size.
          Larry

Comment

• LCHIEN
            Internet Fact Checker
            • Dec 2002
            • Katy, TX, USA.
            • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by LarryG
            Neat. I need to make up some of these.

For your bit-shopping pleasure, these are typically called core box bits; or, occasionally, fluting bits. Many of the budget assortment sets include at least one size.
            No, Larry, a core box bit won't work, it has straight sides above the center of the radiused part. Only 180° of curve in the profile.

To make the groove for this, it has to capture the rubber tubing, it requires overhang. It'll need about 225° or more of curve. IN PROFILE, it will look like an upside down keyhole. (but its not a kehole bit either, a keyhole bit describes the plunged and sideways slot as viewed from the top, not profle)

I think the forstner is the way to go.
            Last edited by LCHIEN; 05-14-2007, 10:28 AM.
            Loring in Katy, TX USA
            If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
            BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• LarryG
              The Full Monte
              • May 2004
              • Off The Back
              • Powermatic PM2000, BT3100-1

Loring, I meant for the finger slot in the side. I didn't catch exactly what you were asking, the first time I read it.
              Last edited by LarryG; 05-14-2007, 10:38 AM.
              Larry

Comment

Working...