• Show
Clear All
  • movnup
    Established Member
    • Aug 2006
    • Seattle
    • BT3000

Extreme Shop Makevoer

For my 100th post to the site I wanted to share the journey of how I crossed over from being a home handyman to hopefully creating the right infrastructure to move forward my quest in becoming a true woodworker !!! Here's the steps I took as follows:

1.Started With: Overhead shelves, one particle board top / 2 x 4 frame work bench, bare drywall.

2. Design Constraints: Needed to share 2.5 car garage with a sport ute, family car, and store all boating, camping, gardening, and kids stuff. Wanted to get lumber off the floor, organize power / hand tools, needed to build it cheaply, and NO hanging florescent lights.

3. Completed With: Two workbenches in “L” shape with over / under shelves behind (qty. 10) 45 degree beveled back self closing cabinet doors for main bench; peg board for hand tools, two hanging / sliding doors underneath a second bench; three new open faced cabinets for storing family stuff; new PC pancake air compressor sound enclosure; rebuilt / strengthen old stereo cabinet for one of two miter saws, new air tool accessories & saw blade storage cabinet built underneath the BT3 table saw, overhead lumber storage rack, in-process router table insert for BT3.

4. Electrical: Qty. 22 new 110 v outlets - hard wired on sides and front of benches, 100 foot extension cord run along RHS side and into front outside corner of garage for yard tool usage (don’t need to pull out car). Upgraded breaker to 20 amp service.

5. Lighting: 3 fluorescent fixtures under main bench hanging cabinets, replaced two original overhead bare bulb light fixtures, three fixture pole lamp of 100w bulbs each for task lighting, hardwired a switched 1000w halogen fixture for indirect lighting located on top of cabinets (main shop light for any spinning blade / bit operations), portable 750w halogen on adjustable stand, two lights from garage door opener.

6. Heat: 4000 watt, dual head, 220 volt in-wall electrical heater.

7. Sound System: Ported 8” two way speakers with adjustable volume control connected to one of four amplifiers in main home system; standalone multi-system with Bose satellite speakers and sub woofer tied into computer for multiple music / video source options (internet, internet radio, hard drive, local over the air radio, tape deck, CD, DVD).

8. Computer System: Older P4 with reformatted 40G hardrive running XP PRO, 512 mb memory, with WiFi Broadband Internet. I transferred qty. 4500 MP3 songs to the local hard drive to create the right atmosphere for building things.

9. Paint: 8 Gallons of Kilz Primer, 7 gallons of eggshell interior latex, existing exterior house paint for light grey accents, 1 gallon of Rustoleum Industrial Epoxy for cabinet carcasses and bench top (2 coats for everything except bench top – that had a skim coat of wood glue to seal the particle board surface, two coats of primer, two skim coats of wood putty, five coats of epoxy). Five cans of HD gloss black spray paint, red door to air compressor enclosure same as front double doors to house (my 4 year olds idea!!!).

10. Flooring: To be completed late fall or this coming winter – two part epoxy with three color granite plastic chips, two coats of clear gloss (end product looks like granite stone).

11. Vise: Removable clampable platform (from Shopnotes design).

12. Resources Used: Design Ideas: Shop Notes - Shop Makeover Article, Woodworkers Journal - Small Shop Book, BT3 Central, Sawmill Creek, garagefloors.com forum, CNET. Com - creative uses for an old PC article, my own creations. Craig’s List Free Section: 17 inch computer monitor, qty. 36 of 3/8 x 2 x 4 inch particle board shelves with metal racking. Five gallons of interior wall paint free from paint store (called around); florescent under cabinet lights came from a friends companies office cubies; overhead 1000w halogen light came from a former renter who was in sales for a outdoor marine lighting company; existing misc. hardware I already had (electrical, brackets, etc). Needed to purchase: 1.5 inch brads for air nailer, primer, interior wall paint, sand paper for drywall, belt sander, ROS, and ¼ sheet finishing sander, ¾ inch x 4 x 8 panel for hanging doors, wood filler, drywall mud, 0000 steel wool, self closing door hardware, closet door / hanging door hardware, hanging door molding, bench top wood trim, additional hanging hooks for peg boards / 75 feet of air hose, electrical boxes and outlets, air dust filters.

13. Total Cash Outlay: Less than $200 bucks.

14. Time Outlay: Four months of sweat equity (nights / weekends this winter)

15. Still Needed: Dewalt or Rigid Planer (stored under sliding door cabinet), 6” Jointer brand TBD (LHS of shop) , Bandsaw – LHS of shop (I’m shipping my late Dad’s 20 year old 14 inch Delta out here this summer), 12” Griz or Delta DP350 Benchtop Drill Press (mounted on smaller “L” workbench), and better Dust Collection – located in .5 section of garage and wheeled out for use (thinking of a portable 2 HP Penn State w/ 1 micron bag due to space issues). Currently building an overhead three filter cabinet style dust collector and finishing off router fence / table for BT3. Also need to organize the family stuff literally tossed into the new shelves in the .5 garage section.

16. Lessons Learned: Don’t use particle board for building anything; it takes much longer to retrofit things than to build them from scratch; four year old little girls are a real blast and can help you paint, drill, caulk, sand and remind you of your language skills when things don’t go exactly as planned e.g. s**t is a naughty word Daddy; I have about given up on HD personal / service and now shop at Lowes; there are a lot of things you can get for free if you are patient and know where to look; if your wife backs her car into your truck it’s your fault and the stationary tool budget for wanting to build furniture that was the rationale for this overall project goes out the window.

Front View

Click image for larger version

Name:	front view 2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	17.8 KB
ID:	790672

Bench Close-up

Name:	BENCH CLOSE UP.jpg
Size:	24.0 KB
ID:	790676

LHS View

Name:	side view.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	17.3 KB
ID:	790670

RHS VIew

Name:	side view 4.jpg
Size:	22.0 KB
ID:	790675

Future Coating For Concrete Side Walls & Floor (will be using a dark grey base coat - picture from web site is light grey)

Name:	floor.jpg
Size:	27.2 KB
ID:	790671
  • cabinetman
    Gone but not Forgotten RIP
    • Jun 2006
    • So. Florida
    • Delta

Looks like you have a great start. Having a neat, clean well planned out area is a real incentive. Whether it's an incentive to fill it with sawdust, we'll have to wait and see.

What's the story on the cabinets and countertops, any details?

Comment

• docrowan
      • Mar 2007
      • New Albany, MS
      • BT3100

Looks great! At least from what I can see. Any chance you may consider posting larger pictures? I'm working on a 12X20 shop and am trying to gather as many ideas as I can.

Only $200.00 outlay sounds like a serious scrounger, ..err recycler. I'm going to wind up with more than $200.00 in pegboard alone.

I have a four year old girl, too. On Saturdays she sits at my newly built workbench and colors while I play, uhh, I mean work.
      - Chris.

Comment

• movnup
        Established Member
        • Aug 2006
        • Seattle
        • BT3000

Mike - The lower cabinets are "wrapped" around a vertical 2 x 4 frame with side / front / rear cross top and middle braces. The shelves were then cut around and nailed to each 2 x 4 on top for support. I then face framed the unit to attach the doors and to give it a clean and consistent look. The bench top is all 3/8 x 2 x 4 particle board shelves laid one direction then perpendicular (4 layers to build up to 1 1/2 inches thick). It would have been a lot easier just to use two sheets of 3/4 stock glued together !!!! The upper cabinets are 3/4 stock that are open backed and nailed / glued together. These also were face framed. This is where my comment of retrofiitting came in ... I think it would have been easier and quicker to build 3/4 ply carcases, dado them together, and maybe use face frames. As sidebar, particle board throws up a lot of saw dust so the saws have been broken in at least !!!

docrowan - The pictures I have are much clearer and show much better detail but I'm having problems downsampling to get the BT3 site to accept them. I also think I'm low on what $$$ I really have have into this. I'm not a scrounge at all but it starting turning into this big mental game for me to see if I could build something worthwhile out of other peoples junk. It took sooooo much more work and time to pull it all togther than buying new so I wouldn't recomend it if I did it again but the end result turned out fine.

Comment

• cabinetman
          Gone but not Forgotten RIP
          • Jun 2006
          • So. Florida
          • Delta

You're right. It would have been easier to just use 3/4" of something and rabbet the ends for the bottom and tops. You could have even gone with frameless instead of face frames. When I first saw the pictures I thought those cabinets were the Sears "shop" cabinets in the gray finish.

As for the size of your pictures I think you can go 540 wide, and total of 97.5kb per picture. Yours were 320 on the small ones, and 400 wide on the large one.

Comment

• Popeye
            Veteran Member
            • Mar 2003
            • Woodbine, Ga
            • Grizzly 1023SL

You're sure making a heck of a start. Nice work on the cabinets. Pat
            Woodworking is therapy.....some of us need more therapy than others. <ZERO>

Comment

Working...