• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jessrice
    Established Member
    • Jan 2006

Winery Barrel room door

Morning all,

just finished this door this weekend, and thought i would get a few pics of it before it gets any in use "wear and tear". Scroll down if you want to skip the details and see the pics.

A little background, my in laws have been making wine for about 15 years as amateurs, and when i met my wife 6 years ago, they had actually gotten to a point when they were making 20 barrels per year for friends and family. (legal limit for personal use is 200 gallons per year, per household).

Anyway, we live in wine country in eastern Washington, so a small winery was the next logical step, but it couldn't be done at their location. So when my wife and I bought a house, we planted a vineyard, and have been building a large shop, with dedicated section for winery, so that when the grapes are mature enough, and we met the rest of the regs, we would be ready. We are still working on the shop ( i have pics in another post), and we are currently waiting to be annexed into the city, to get licensed, since the county is outdated and doesn't want to play with small businesses.

Anyway, as we have been waiting to get finished and licensed, my wife and her dad have continued to produce wine, and they were out of room in their starge area, so I went ahead and finished the small barrel room, ahead of the rest of the shop, so that we could keep the wine cool this summer. I did the least possible to make it cool and functional, since i haven't passed rough framing inspection yet, and the building inspector would only let me do as little as possible, and rightfully so.

I actually still need to put lights and a humidity system in, so all of the insulation and vapor barriers will have to be removed this fall, and then inspected and then redone again, then sheetrocked and the walls tiled, but the door doesn't have to be removed. Since we have our wine and a friends wine in the room, 8 barrels total, or about 2400 bottles, it was worth the hassle to put it up and down. I hope the inspector likes wine!

Now for the details. I decide to go with pine, because i bought 2 pallets of 5/8"x2" pine wainscoting, from a mill going out of business, and was planning on finishing the walls with it. I bought pre glued 24" x 60" panels from Lowes, since the wood was much nicer than any pine i could find, and would still had to glue it up.

The door is 58" wide and 84" tall. It is 1 1/2" thick pine. I built a front and rear frame both 3/4", and then sandwiched the wainscoting between them. I did the frame joints in different places on the front and rear panels, so that they overlapped for strength. I glued and screwed the front to the back. I used kreg pocket holes, and pretty much built them like large kitchen cabinet doors.

I then built the box framed for the inside of the door to contain 5" of foam insulation panels. It is constructed with pocket holes, and built just like a cabinet door as well.

I finished all the wood before final assembly with 3 coats of semi gloss minwax helmsman poly, rolled on, since the door will be subject to different temps and wash downs with water. I also wanted everything coated so that the wood wouldn't warp due to the higher humidity in the wine room.

The door weighs about 150lbs, and is hanging with three 20" strap hinges that i found on ebay for 50 bucks, including the handle. They are about 60 years old, and had to be bead blasted and painted, but much cheaper, and sturdier than what i could fine today.

I also made the removable threshold to keep the cold in, and then remove it when i need to pallet jack racks in and out. It was the only way to keep the transition smooth enough to roll 1600lbs through.

Other than the entire shop, this has been my most complicated fine wood project ever. It could have been a lot easier had i forgot about the arches and went with a square, but wouldn't have looked as cool. I could have used new hinges, so that they were all the same dimensions and not handmade almost all the same requiring shims and spacers.

I did price out a arched pine door from home depot made from pine, with out the trim, heavy hinges, finish, or insulation back, but very similar otherwise, and it was over 4000.00 dollars. I have about 400.00 in materials and probably 40 hours, but it is exactly what i needed.

After the inspector approves, i will finish the rest of the wall in the wainscoting to match what i already have under the trim.

Hope you approve!

Jesse
    Attached Files
  • docrowan
    • Mar 2007
    • New Albany, MS
    • BT3100

WOW!

Very nice. I love the natural pine.

One question - it appears you insulated only a portion of the door. Will there be a matching insulated arch section built later?
    - Chris.

Comment

• jessrice
      Established Member
      • Jan 2006

Originally posted by docrowan
      WOW!

Very nice. I love the natural pine.

One question - it appears you insulated only a portion of the door. Will there be a matching insulated arch section built later?
      Yes, I havent decide yet, but i think i am going to build a curved face frame to match, but put in plexiglass panels, and fill it with corks. Should fit the theme, and add some insulating qualitiy.

Otherwise, I do have a solid top already cut in the arch shape, just need to box it in.

Thanks
      Jesse

Comment

• mschrank
        Veteran Member
        • Oct 2004
        • Hood River, OR, USA.
        • BT3000

SUPER COOL!

That's an ambitous project there (both the door and the winery aspirations), I'm very impressed!

Best of luck on your upcoming inspections and let us know when the bottles are ready for puchase!
        Mike

Drywall screws are not wood screws

Comment

• Popeye
          Veteran Member
          • Mar 2003
          • Woodbine, Ga
          • Grizzly 1023SL

COOL. Pat
          Woodworking is therapy.....some of us need more therapy than others. <ZERO>

Comment

• Knottscott
            Veteran Member
            • Dec 2004
            • Rochester, NY.
            • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

That door is awesome!
            Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

• cgallery
              Veteran Member
              • Sep 2004
              • Milwaukee, WI
              • BT3K

Classic overachiever.

That looks awesome!

Comment

• HarmsWay
                • Nov 2003
                • Victoria, BC
                • BT3000

Impressive Jesse! Definitely lets you know there's something worthy on the other side of it, but you need to bash it a few times with the pallet truck so it looks less perfect. I like it. Very classy.

I, on the other hand, made a few cedar planters this weekend and after seeing all the photos of cool stuff today, I'll be keeping those to myself.

Let us know when the wine tasting starts!

Bob

Comment

• jessrice
                  Established Member
                  • Jan 2006

Originally posted by HarmsWay
                  Impressive Jesse! Definitely lets you know there's something worthy on the other side of it, but you need to bash it a few times with the pallet truck so it looks less perfect. I like it. Very classy.

Bob
                  I have the bashing part in the back of my mind, I have already imagined my father in law getting 4 barrels up to speed on the pallet jack and tearing the frame right off!

My boy thinks we need a fork lift, how many rear endins do you think a pine door can take before it gives up?

I honestly thought about giving it the rustic beatup look before i finished it, i just couldnt bring myself to it, maybe in a few years it will have some dings and dents and i'll just wipe on another coat of poly and call it good!

thanks for the comments, anyone ever in Pasco, stop by and try the wine!

Jesse

Comment

• RodKirby
                    Veteran Member
                    • Dec 2002
                    • Melbourne, Victoria, Australia.
                    • Mao Shan TSC-10RAS

Beautiful job!

I bet you were super careful with measurements etc. Hate to have to 'whip off 1/2" along the bottom' to make it fit

How many people to hang it?
                    Downunder ... 1" = 25.4mm

Comment

• jessrice
                      Established Member
                      • Jan 2006

Originally posted by RodKirby
                      Beautiful job!

I bet you were super careful with measurements etc. Hate to have to 'whip off 1/2" along the bottom' to make it fit

How many people to hang it?
                      I preplanned the hanging part by attaching the hinges to the door first, then propping it on 2 2x6 studs shimmed level for the proper hieght, and then bolting it to the frame.

That way i knew it would be level, and evenly spaced left to right. the nice thing about the door being "surface mounted", with the removable threshold is that it didnt have to fit the frame perfect, and it can swell or shrink and still function.

My son was helping me, but got inpatient with the extra measuring and leveling, and abandoned me, so I techinically hung it myself after he helped lift it in place.

I dont know that after final shaping, fitting, and finishing, I could get an arched door to fit into a frame perfectly.

I was just really glad that when I swung the door open, it stayed level through the swing, it would have been a real bummer to have it drag the floor in the middle. The hinges seem to keep it level just fine, and with the door being bolted shut 99% of the time, should stay that way.

I did think i could justify a new jet or powermatic saw to the wife, but she said if i could do this on the bt3000, why do i need another? Darn poer of reasoning!

Jesse

Comment

• Brian G
                        • Jun 2003
                        • Bloomington, Minnesota.
                        • G0899

Fantastic job! I appreciate the narrative, too.
                        Brian

Comment

• Pappy
                          The Full Monte
                          • Dec 2002
                          • San Marcos, TX, USA.
                          • BT3000 (x2)

Fantastic looking door, Jesse!
                          Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
                          Fools because they have to say something.
                          Plato

Comment

• GPA61
                            • Sep 2004
                            • Rancho Cucamonga, CA
                            • BT 3100 & JET JWTS

WOW. That is agreat looking door.
                            Claudio

Comment

• Cheeky
                              • Nov 2006
                              • westchester cty, new york
                              • Ridgid TS2400LS

That is friggin awesome Jesse. Hope the buisiness will sore!

BTW, I hope your son is doing well

Pete
                              Pete

Comment

Working...