• Show
Clear All
  • niki
    • Nov 2006
    • Poland
    • EB PK255

Router Lift - Above the table

Good day

After I made the Mortising jig for the router table, I thought that to bent under the bench every pass to lift the bit, is too much for my old back so I made a simple lift.

The lifting mechanism is located on the right side (behind the fence) so it will not interfere with any operation.

It takes some 30 seconds to install it and I'll probably improve a few things with time and experience.

It works very smooth (after a drop of oil in the T-nut) and takes some 30 turns from "bit level with the table" to "bit 1½" above the table".

Regards
    niki

• LinuxRandal
    Veteran Member
    • Feb 2005
    • Independence, MO, USA.
    • bt3100

Please submit this with a write up to the articles section.

I feel a DOH coming on (didn't spend, but was considering a lift).
    She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• ssmith1627
      • Dec 2005
      • Corryton, TN, USA.
      • Ryobi BT3100

I didn't see this when you posted it but found it today. Very interesting. I'm looking at router lifts too but this surely is a simple solution. Can you post some more pictures ? Does this allow you to change the bit from above the table, do you get that kind of range ?

Thanks for sharing your idea.

Steve

Comment

• niki
        • Nov 2006
        • Poland
        • EB PK255

Thank you

Linux Randel
        I'll make more detailed post with a step-by-step and post it later.

Steve
        I cannot change bits above the table because it depends on the router itself.
        I heard that the Triton is designed for that.
        My table top is 5/16" thick and I losing 5/32" of the height because of that.
        Maybe with bigger opening you can change bits but my opening is only 1¼".

Anyway, I'm getting all the range of the plunge.

Regards
        niki

Comment

• ssmith1627
          • Dec 2005
          • Corryton, TN, USA.
          • Ryobi BT3100

I've seen that said about the Triton as well as others -- that they will raise up high enough to change the bit above the table. There are also all the various router lifts which seem to be at least $150 and some a lot more than that. Trying to sort it all out. I have a PC 694VK router now that has the fixed base and a plunge base. Hate to spend so much on a new router just to gain the benefit of changing height and changing bits above the table. At the same time, those lifts are just about as expensive as the router itself so that doesn't sound very appealing either !

Thanks again for sharing the ideas and thanks as well for the discussion.

Steve

Comment

• niki
            • Nov 2006
            • Poland
            • EB PK255

Thank you Steve

My router is in Hitachi service right now (some problem with the "speed control button" and I hope to receive it back next week.

I promise to make the "how to" pictures as soon as I'll get it back

Regards
            niki

Comment

• JimD
              Veteran Member
              • Feb 2003
              • Lexington, SC.

My lift is also home-made but is a bit more complicated. It moves by turning a piece of 3/8 threaded rod so 1 revolution - 1/16 inch movement. The lift attaches to the back of the cabinet and the top is hinged so you can tilt the top up for bit changes - works really well. The lift mechanism is mainly wood but slides on 1 inch ground and chrome plated steel rods through oilite bushings (oil impregnated bronze). I spent about $50 on the lift parts most of which I got from McMaster Carr. If you wanted to so something like mine, I recommend getting the magazine article.

The Article is in the March 2004 American Woodworker and is entitled "Shop-Made Router Lift". You can get it for $3 by calling 715 246 4344. They also offer back issues for $5 at the same number.

Jim

Comment

Working...