SunRocket VoIP goes belly up :( -- and quickly, too!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Alex Franke
    Veteran Member
    • Feb 2007
    • Chapel Hill, NC
    • Ryobi BT3100

SunRocket VoIP goes belly up :( -- and quickly, too!

Back in this thread, I was searching for a VoIP provider. After a lot of great input and deliberation, I took a chance on a SunRocket deal -- 2 years for $199. I figured, "It's a risk -- but if I get only four months out of them, then I'm still better off than with my original phone service."

We'll, I got four months. =)

Looks like they've closed their doors rather abruptly. Many users are getting credit card refunds (which I'll of course try), and offers from other VoIP providers. Many users are "unlocking" their Gizmos and taking them to other providers as well. If you're in the same boat, here's a SlickDeals.net thread taht may help you.

I actually still have service -- and great quality, too. But it probably won't last long... It's a shame... I was really ahppy with SunRocket. You get what you pay for, I guess.

Details here: http://money.cnn.com/2007/07/17/tech...ion=2007071707
    Last edited by Alex Franke; 07-17-2007, 11:40 AM.
    online at http://www.theFrankes.com
    while ( !( succeed = try() ) ) ;
    "Life is short, Art long, Occasion sudden and dangerous, Experience deceitful, and Judgment difficult." -Hippocrates
  • Russianwolf
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2004
    • Martinsburg, WV, USA.
    • One of them there Toy saws

HAd problems late yesterday, but things seem to be working now. The "run" light on my gizmo is flashing red, which supposedly means that it con't communicate with Sunrocket's server.

I'm hoping this is all wrong, as I like the service. But if not, I'm not out anything as I am a monthly customer.

The real question is where are my fellow sunrocket customers going for their service?
    Last edited by Russianwolf; 07-17-2007, 04:25 PM.
    Mike
    Lakota's Dad

If at first you don't succeed, deny you were trying in the first place.

Comment

• gerti
      Veteran Member
      • Dec 2003
      • Minnetonka, MN, USA.
      • BT3100 "Frankensaw"

Got just under a year of trouble free service out of our 1 year + 1 year free contract... :-(

International is dead, domestic long distance shaky, locals still seems to work.

I can't help it, something irks me about Vonage. So I signed up for via:talk (www.viatalk.com), more features than Vonage, but a relatively small company straining to keep up with the sudden demand. Similar $199/year deal, possibly some rebates for Sunrocket customers depending on how much was left on your contract. But $30 signup, $10 (or more for better than ground) shipping for their gizmo. No more $3/month free international, but apparently a free second line. And you can set it up to ring both your home phone and your cell phone. It also works with soft phones on your computer.

We'll see... In the mean time I hope that the Sunrocket service lasts a few more days.

Comment

• sparkeyjames
        Veteran Member
        • Jan 2007
        • Redford MI.
        • Craftsman 21829

Been using Vonage for over 2 years and am a happy customer. Have the cheap 14.99 500 minute plan ($19 after taxes and such). Have never gone over my minutes as all my frequently called friends have vonage so those calls don't count against the minutes.

Sparkeyjames

Comment

• Russianwolf
          Veteran Member
          • Jan 2004
          • Martinsburg, WV, USA.

I looked at Viatalk. Looks okay, but I don't want to sign up for a year. I'd rather go month to month.

Can't do Vonage as they can't port my number. They aren't in WV (304). Add to that they they have their own legal problems that may or may not wind up killing them.

Also looked at Nuvio. They are supposedly running a deal for former sunrocket customers, but I am questioning if they will continue to honor the monthly price as opposed to the annual.
          Mike
          Lakota's Dad

Comment

• bmyers
            Veteran Member
            • Jun 2003
            • Fishkill, NY
            • bt 3100

I been playing with Asterisk, the open source PBX lately. Fun stuff but you don't need it to use Iconnecthere.com IP phone service that I've been using with it.

It's $10 for 1000 minutes to start calling US & CA, no setup fee, no contract and acceptable sound quality. It's another $9 if you want a dial in phone #.

FYI

Bill
            "Why are there Braille codes on drive-up ATM machines?"

Comment

• Alex Franke
              Veteran Member
              • Feb 2007
              • Chapel Hill, NC
              • Ryobi BT3100

Well, I haven't jumped ship yet -- waiting to see what's going on and how long my phone service will last. Still seems to be working fine right now. I figure when the service is actually cut off is when I have a better argument for a credit card dispute.

So how's everyone's opinion on Viatalk? I bet they're pretty swamped right now! =)

They have a funny flash animation over at http://www.packet8.net/ -- the sun from Runrocket's logo drops out of the sky and a rocket comes crashing down. Dang, no compassion in this industry!
              "Life is short, Art long, Occasion sudden and dangerous, Experience deceitful, and Judgment difficult." -Hippocrates

Comment

• Russianwolf
                Veteran Member
                • Jan 2004
                • Martinsburg, WV, USA.

Originally posted by Alex Franke
                Well, I haven't jumped ship yet -- waiting to see what's going on and how long my phone service will last. Still seems to be working fine right now. I figure when the service is actually cut off is when I have a better argument for a credit card dispute.

So how's everyone's opinion on Viatalk? I bet they're pretty swamped right now! =)

They have a funny flash animation over at http://www.packet8.net/ -- the sun from Runrocket's logo drops out of the sky and a rocket comes crashing down. Dang, no compassion in this industry!
                the big fear a lot of people have is that if you wait until everything falls apart, you may not be able to get your number ported.
                Mike
                Lakota's Dad

Comment

• footprintsinconc
                  Veteran Member
                  • Nov 2006
                  • Roseville (Sacramento), CA
                  • BT3100

I too have sunrocket, but its been a year almost i think. i was suppose to get two years for $199. my phone has been giving me problems for the last three days and was thinking of calling today only to have a friend call me to tell me that sunrocket went down under!

I use to have packet 8 before this and had a miserable time with them, i wonder how they are compared to via:talk. via talk is offering exactly what sunrocket is except you cant cancell or there is a cancellation fee.

anyone using either right now OR has anyone switched to either yet? are there any other cost associated to them?

Comment

• maxparot
                    Veteran Member
                    • Jan 2004
                    • Mesa, Arizona, USA.
                    • BT3100 w/ wide table kit

My SunRocket service is still working although when making calls I've had to try 2-3 times for the connection to go through. I'm at 14 months of my 15 month prepay so I'm not too worried about the money. As mentioned by others the time to get your number ported to a new service may increase with all SunRockets customers facing the same problem at the same time. For this reason I made the move last nite and signed on with Lingo. $195 for a years service a few dollars more for the special E911 fees and the like but no equipment or startup fees.
                    Opinions are like gas;
                    I don't mind hearing it, but keep it to yourself if it stinks.

Comment

• Alex Franke
                      Veteran Member
                      • Feb 2007
                      • Chapel Hill, NC
                      • Ryobi BT3100

Looks like Packet8 reached a "deal" with the company winding down SunRocket to be the "preferred replacement". But it sounds like a simple, "We'll give you money if you call us your preferred replacement." e.g. They're not honoring contracts or anything -- just giving a break on activation, shipping, etc.

Personally, I'm not too worried about the phone numbers changing, but I'd be pretty worried if I had my SunRocket number on business cards or in the Yellow Pages or something like that... I just can't believe they'd pull the plug so abruptly like that -- with no warning. I bet there's going to be some lawsuits there.

Although it requires a computer, this thing is probably the coolest thing I've seen in a long time. Carry your phone number around with you in your pocket =)

I've heard not-so-good things about both packet8 and viatalk. A couple friends have moved to Lingo, too, like maxparot.

I kind of feel cheated by SunRocket -- last week this time I was still highly recommending them. Top notch service and quality all the way. Oh well...

Comment

• Russianwolf
                        Veteran Member
                        • Jan 2004
                        • Martinsburg, WV, USA.

well, I'm working with Hyperdogdigital to see if I can use the sunrocket gizmo to work with their service. Haven't heard anything bad about them and the rates aren't bad. Monthly without a contract is the same $25 per month as sunrocket.

Cost me $3 to sign up and use sunrockets gizmo. I'll find out for sure tomorrow if it's a go or not once I get it working.
                        Mike
                        Lakota's Dad

Comment

• Russianwolf
                          Veteran Member
                          • Jan 2004
                          • Martinsburg, WV, USA.

I can now make outgoing calls using my Gizmo on hyperdog's service. They are working on the incoming (registration problems that should clear in 15 minutes).
                          Mike
                          Lakota's Dad

Comment

• Alex Franke
                            Veteran Member
                            • Feb 2007
                            • Chapel Hill, NC
                            • Ryobi BT3100

Here's anoher one:

net2phone.com is offering to pickup up to 1 year of remaining SunRocket contract service for free. They're also allowing you to use the SunRocket gizmo (after following some reflashing instructions) to avoid $40 in setup charges and shipping.

Only problem is $30 cancellation fee, but they seem like a well established company -- more so that SunRocket judging by the registration process... BTW, if they go under, too, who's going to be there to try to charge you a termination fee (even if they did consider that a valid)? =)
                            Last edited by Alex Franke; 07-21-2007, 08:49 AM.

Comment

Working...