• Show
Clear All
  • Knottscott
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2004
    • Rochester, NY.
    • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

A "Yes Dear" Rant...

This week's project was to extend our smallish kitchen island and recap it with a new larger solid maple counter with some overhang for some seating on each end. It went from 39" x 51" to about 40" x 72".

After pawing thru my lumber stash earlier in the week, sorting out what to use, dimensioning the selected boards down to size, returning the scraps and remnants to the racks, and finally glueing them up into one big flat panel last night (was quite pleased with the results), this morning at 10am my lovely bride decides we should make the new top 10" wider to make an overhang on one side to accommodate more seating....with a decorative arc.

Today is Woodcraft's 10% sale, and my plans today included a trip out there just for browsing fun and to maybe snag a bargain. At about 8:30 I decided to cancel the WC trip so I could focus on finishing the island...I could see the goal line and smelled a completed project by the end of the day. All I had left was sanding and applying outer trim, then some finish coats. By 10 I was wishing I'd gone to WC as planned. My shop is tiny, so now I've got roll tools away from the wood rack and see if I can find enough wood for the new "extension", then need to redo the milling process for the new boards, redo the glueup, then cut an arc on the new side overhang. This is hard maple that was former bumper boards salvaged from work. The stock is currently predimensioned to 1-3/4"...its heavy and dense, and there's alot of waste milling it to 1" b/c the scrap is too thin to do much with. This will probably add several days to the completion of this project b/c it won't get done on the weekend...would have been 2-3 additional hours tops if it'd been all done at the same time.

I know I'm just whining so let me have it if you have to...it's warm and muggy out today and I'm just choking a bit on the sudden gear shift and need to vent to someone who understands! In the end, I know the arc will look good, and the extra width will be handy, but we discussed this plan and the options for hours over the past couple of weeks, and this idea was discussed and dismissed then.

What's that about a woman's perogative to change her mind? ...."yes dear"...
    Last edited by Knottscott; 07-28-2007, 09:57 AM.
    Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.
  • ragswl4
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2007
    • Winchester, Ca
    • C-Man 22114

Originally posted by Dustmight
    This week's project was to extend our smallish kitchen island and recap it with a new larger solid maple counter with some overhang for some seating on each end. It went from 39" x 51" to about 40" x 72".

After pawing thru my lumber stash earlier in the week, sorting out what to use, dimensioning the selected boards down to size, returning the scraps and remnants to the racks, and finally glueing them up into one big flat panel last night (was quite pleased with the results), this morning at 10am my lovely bride decides we should make the new top 10" wider to make an overhang on one side to accommodate more seating....with a decorative arc.

Today is Woodcraft's 10% sale, and my plans today included a trip out there just for browsing fun and to maybe snag a bargain. At about 8:30 I decided to cancel the WC trip so I could focus on finishing the island...I could see the goal line and smelled a completed project by the end of the day. All I had left was sanding and applying outer trim, then some finish coats. By 10 I was wishing I'd gone to WC as planned. My shop is tiny, so now I've got roll tools away from the wood rack and see if I can find enough wood for the new "extension", then need to redo the milling process for the new boards, redo the glueup, then cut an arc on the new side overhang. This is hard maple that was former bumper boards salvaged from work. The stock is currently predimensioned to 1-3/4"...its heavy and dense, and there's alot of waste milling it to 1" b/c the scrap is too thin to do much with. This will probably add several days to the completion of this project b/c it won't get done on the weekend...would have been 2-3 additional hours tops if it'd been all done at the same time.

I know I'm just whining so let me have it if you have to...it's warm and muggy out today and I'm just choking a bit on the sudden gear shift and need to vent to someone who understands! In the end, I know the arc will look good, and the extra width will be handy, but we discussed this plan and the options for hours over the past couple of weeks, and this idea was discussed and dismissed then.

What's that about a woman's perogative to change her mind? ...."yes dear"...

I feel your pain. We are trying to get started building a house and my little wife is changing something every five minutes and we haven't driven the first nail yet. I hope I survive to the end, it is very, very frustrating. One example: We ordered a $16,000 curved, custom built staircase and now she wants to change the species of wood that it is made of. YIKES! Blew my top on that one.
    RAGS
    Raggy and Me in San Felipe
    sigpic

Comment

• Jeffrey Schronce
      Veteran Member
      • Nov 2005
      • York, PA, USA.

I completely and totally understand your issue. I try to remind myself that 1) she puts up with my hours in the shop, 2) she puts up with her cars outside as I occupy 2 of 4 car bays with shop, 1 with wood and the other car bay has MIL car in it. Lastly, she puts up with me driving her crazy buying, selling, trading and other wise worshipping tools. I can't say much to her on her 3rd wood species change for the office furniture when I have had 3 TS in a year! LOL!

Comment

• Knottscott
        Veteran Member
        • Dec 2004
        • Rochester, NY.
        • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

I knew you guys would have some words of wisdom to put things into perspective!

The good news is that I decided to have lunch early and contemplate things, and I remembered that Norm was on! So now I'm fed, and know how to make shudders! Tough turkey if I don't finish the island this weekend!
        Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

• jackellis
          Veteran Member
          • Nov 2003
          • Tahoe City, CA, USA.
          • BT3100

We're about to embark on a house building project that's going to involve a lot of dollars. My wife is very detail oriented to the point of being obsessive so in some ways it's better that she's the project manager, but I have seen her order something done and then change her mind. On this project though, it's just not gong to happen unless she wants to start writing some big checks.

OTOH she's also patient about my tools, the airplane and my time doing other stuff.

Comment

• Jeffrey Schronce
            Veteran Member
            • Nov 2005
            • York, PA, USA.

Originally posted by Dustmight
            remembered that Norm was on! So now I'm fed, and know how to make shudders!
            Those shutters make you shudder too huh? LOL! Sorry had to do it!

I am going to do the plantation shutters as well. It is pretty low on project list. I think I am going to buy a molder and cutter profile and crank a bunch of material out. There are a lot of guys wanting to build them but shudder at the router bit method from Woodline.

Comment

• Knottscott
              Veteran Member
              • Dec 2004
              • Rochester, NY.
              • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

Originally posted by Jeffrey Schronce
              Those shutters make you shudder too huh? LOL! Sorry had to do it!

I am going to do the plantation shutters as well. It is pretty low on project list. I think I am going to buy a molder and cutter profile and crank a bunch of material out. There are a lot of guys wanting to build them but shudder at the router bit method from Woodline.
              Ha!...had that coming! Those things are pretty complex considering the end function. They look nice, but I do "shudder" at the idea of painting over all that woodwork too.

Comment

Working...