• Show
Clear All
  • Tom Clark
    Forum Newbie
    • Jul 2007
    • Deming, NM
    • Powermatic 66 w/48" sliding table

Building the Dream

A couple of years ago Wood magazine put out their 2005 version of Best-Ever Home Workshops. As I remember they featured nine mostly smaller shops, and only ran a couple of photos of each shop. When they asked for contributors for the next issue, I sent in an article and photos of my shop – along with a note saying that their last issue was way too small; featured mostly smaller shops; and did not have nearly enough photos of each workshop!
    Boy was I surprised when they chose my shop for the next issue of America’s Best Home Workshops, but they also let me know that they would be featuring 15 shops, with an average ten pages and 15 photos of each shop. They must have had more than a few other requests similar to mine.
    I later read in a couple of forums where some woodworkers who had smaller shops were not all happy with the issue featuring the larger shops. I would imagine that the next issue will be back to covering more normal size home workshop, but I do hope that they stay with the idea of running more photos of each shop, to make for a more interesting issue! Otherwise it’s like going over to visit a friend’s workshop – but then only being allowed to see one corner of it!
    We all had to start with a smallish work shop when were younger and working full-time jobs. My first shop was one-half of a one car garage like most other people. However, as we get older, usually our shop size manages to grow - along with other parts of our anatomy.
    We retired in 1997, and started traveling out of Florida during the long hot summers that we had been forced to endure during our working years. We are only home from October thru May, the time of the year to enjoy the best of Florida’s beautiful weather.
    Our extended vacations to cooler climes forced us to re-think our housing needs. While a motorhome made for a great summer retreat, the dream home that we had built 15 years previously had become more of a mill-stone around our neck. It required way too much maintenance to be left on its own for so long, not to mention the high taxes and insurance. When we returned home from a long trip it seemed as if we then spent months working on the house to get things back to normal. The dream home was fun for years, but eventually it outlived its desirability!
    When we decided to move to the country into a new, smaller home, we tried to build a lifestyle that would be as maintenance free as possible. Of course country lots are usually far larger than city lots, so the possibility of a larger workshop finally became a reality.
    I considered many different types of workshop construction and finally settled on the steel building shown here. The reasons were many, but mainly for its low cost per square foot and maintenance free design.

This is being written for those who have to endure cramped quarters for now, but hope to dream of someday having a larger space to work in. Of course there are many ways for everyone to reach their dreams, and here’s wishing that you all have your dream shop one of these days. While my shop may seem obnoxiously large to many of you, I bet it cost far less than many of you have invested in your own shop.

Since this forum is about shop design, I thought I might start off talking about the workshop itself, and eventually start on the cabinetry that I have been building for years. I’m a newbie to shop forums, so if this post is out of line – kindly let me know, or guide me to what is more appropriate.
    Attached Files
  • Thom2
    Resident BT3Central Research Ass.
    • Jan 2003
    • Stevens, PA, USA.
    • Craftsman 22124

Originally posted by Tom Clark
    I’m a newbie to shop forums, so if this post is out of line – kindly let me know, or guide me to what is more appropriate.
    you're kidding right???

POST AWAY!!!
    WE'RE ALL DROOLIN'!!!!

If it ain't broke.. don't fix it!!!... but you can always 'hop it up'
    **one and only purchaser of a BT3C official thong**

Comment

• JR
      The Full Monte
      • Feb 2004
      • Eugene, OR
      • BT3000

Out of line? Heck no! Welcome to the forum, and thanks for sharing.

Thanks very much for sharing your perspective. I found your discussion of working mode vs retirement mode very interesting.

I hope to start that transition over the next five years (the alternatives are homicide and suicide, so we'll try to avoid those). LOML and I have had a number of discussions about where retirment should take place. Unlike Florida, our little neck of paridise has wonderful weather year-round. The amount of equity tied up in the house, though, makes a move intriguing. The good weather just makes the decision all that much harder to make.

Does your shop consume that entire building? I coulndn't tell from the interior pic.

JR
      JR

Comment

• thrytis
        • May 2004
        • Concord, NC, USA.
        • Delta Unisaw

Tom, this post is very in line with the purpose of this forum and i'm looking forward to reading a lot more about it. They may have included more about each shop in the latest issue, it still seemed like just a small glimpse. Now we get to see the real details!

I had to think twice before buying a copy of the magazine because i wasn't sure how practical it was, but i still enjoyed it. Even if i never have a large shop, i still am fascinated reading about others. It is kind of like touring the Biltmore house - i'll never own one like it, but i enjoy walking through it.
        Eric

Comment

• goslin23
          Established Member
          • Feb 2007
          • Richmond, TX
          • Rigid TS3650

Wait!! Was that all? I scrolled down to the pictures after reading... I thought there was gonna be more!!

Details.. down to every nut, bolt, nail and bead of glue!

Seeing shops like yours gives me inspiration to get crackin on my shop (it's just a 2 car garage).

Please share more of your story and pictures of your shop with all of us here so we may live vicariously through you

-=gos=-
          If it ain't one thing... It's 12 @#$%ing things!

Comment

• footprintsinconc
            Veteran Member
            • Nov 2006
            • Roseville (Sacramento), CA
            • BT3100

welcome aboard! you will find that this site is one the best sites for ww.

i too was expecting a 1000 pictures after the long narration, which i must say was very interesting. so cant wait to see more!

regards,

Comment

• burrellski
              Established Member
              • Dec 2005
              • Saint Joseph, MO.

I'd love to hear more. Especially as much detail as you can provide about your plywood shop cabinets...doors, drawers, cases, everything you have time to tell.

Comment

• bthere
                Established Member
                • Jan 2007
                • Alpharetta, GA

I think that no matter how much you tell and show about your shop, we'll be asking more.

Comment

• smc331
                  Veteran Member
                  • Apr 2003
                  • Charlotte, NC, USA.
                  • BT3100

I think you should be noticing a common theme here - MORE PICTURES, PLEASE!
                  Scott

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                  You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline - it helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer. -- Frank Zappa

http://macbournes.com

Comment

• Tom Clark
                    Forum Newbie
                    • Jul 2007
                    • Deming, NM
                    • Powermatic 66 w/48" sliding table

Originally posted by burrellski
                    I'd love to hear more. Especially as much detail as you can provide about your plywood shop cabinets...doors, drawers, cases, everything you have time to tell.
                    Thanks everyone. I have a lot of photos, all on my dead Mac laptop. It went belly up last week. I only have access to the photos on my web site available at the moment since this darn PC can't read my Mac backup drive. Hope to pickup a new Mac soon!

The shop is 2400 sq ft airconditioned and heated. Shop equipment covers an area of about 40 x 45, and the rest is storage for a part time business that I ran for years.

Since my thoughts say that building custom cabinets are the heart of any shop, large or small, I have built quite a few for myself - thus the 100 + drawers mentioned in an earlier post. I build shop cabinets using mostly plywood, and the constuction is very simple. Most of the projects can be built in a couple of days.

Here's a few more photos - all ones that the Wood article did not show. Some of the cabinets look like they were built by a beginner because they were. I built the three drawer units in the first photo without the aid of a tablesaw 18 years ago. Cut out the parts on a bandsaw and nailed them together. They are still priceless and work like new.

Hope to spend lots of time in the future talking cabinet making.
                    Attached Files

Comment

• goslin23
                      Established Member
                      • Feb 2007
                      • Richmond, TX
                      • Rigid TS3650

Now THAT is alot of drawers!

I'm most interested in your desks as that is on my "to do" list in the new house (opposing corner desks in the office).
                      If it ain't one thing... It's 12 @#$%ing things!

Comment

• mater
                        Veteran Member
                        • Jan 2004
                        • SC, USA.

After all those cabinets you are the expert. Excellent work.
                        Ken aka "mater"

" People may doubt what you say but they will never doubt what you do "

Ken's Den

Comment

• Jeffrey Schronce
                          Veteran Member
                          • Nov 2005
                          • York, PA, USA.

The thing I am lusting after the most is that big 12" pipe running the span of your shop with those ducts blowing that nice cool air out of them!

Boy, I picked the wrong day to get deep into planes.

Jeff

Sweating like a pig with a No. 5

Comment

• gad5264
                            Veteran Member
                            • Aug 2005
                            • Columbus, Ohio, USA
                            • BT3000/BT3100NIB

All I can say is WOW, add me to the list of envious ones.
                            Grant
                            "GO Buckeyes"

My projects: http://community.webshots.com/user/gad5264

Comment

• JTimmons
                              • Feb 2005
                              • Denver, CO.
                              • Grizzly 1023SLX, Ryobi BT3100

How about some pics of the inside of that observatory?
                              "Happiness is your dentist telling you it won't hurt and then having him catch his hand in the drill."
                              -- Johnny Carson

Comment

Working...