• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ssmith1627
    • Dec 2005
    • Corryton, TN, USA.
    • Ryobi BT3100

Cutting Router Plate Insert

Guys, I am either dense or just really overthinking this.

I put my router plate on a piece of 1/4" hardboard. I wrapped it with other strips of hardboard attached to the first piece with carpet tape. Then removed the plate itself, drilled holes in the corners, cut out the inside with a jigsaw. Last, used a flush trim bit to clean it up.

So now I have the template. Came out great really. But what next ?? I found a dado bit at Home Depot but it cuts too deep to use for this purpose -- I only want to cut a dado 3/8" deep on the melamine piece that will be my router table top. I have a pattern bit also but again, it would cut almost 1 inch deep in order to get the bearing to ride on the template.

What I did next was re-wrap the router plate with the hardboard strips spaced 1/16th of an inch away on each side -- with the idea of using a bushing. Now I have the problem of the guide bushing protruding too far to be useful for this 1/4" hardboard template.

Do I just make my template double or triple thick with hardboard layers ? What am I missing ?

Sorry for the long email. Appreciate someone knocking some sense into my head.

Steve
  • hermit
    Established Member
    • Dec 2002
    • Somerset, PA, USA.

Yes, use a thicker template, OR, and I've done this, grind down the length of the guide bushing so it is less than 1/4".

Todd

Comment

• Thom2
      Resident BT3Central Research Ass.
      • Jan 2003
      • Stevens, PA, USA.
      • Craftsman 22124

I just recently did this and beat my head against the wall to get what "should' be the 'easy method' to work.

You'll need 2 guide bushings, a 1/2" O.D. and a 1" O.D., you'll need a 1/4" router bit (preferably spiral carbide)

carpet tape your plate to your template material, take the 1/2" bushing and wrap 2-3 TIGHT wraps of masking tape around it (cut the excess off). Center your baseplate and install the bushing, then the 1/4" bit. With the 1/2" bushing, CAREFULLY trace around the outside of the plate to create the template (very shallow cuts if you're using a straight bit, DAMHIKT).

Now that you have the template made, switch over to the 1" O.D. bushing (no tape on this one) and then clamp your template in place and route around the opening. I used a spacer in the center cavity of the template to keep the router from tipping and to also make it easier to rout a nice wide ledge.

Cut out the opening with a jigsaw.

This should yield a PERFECT fit (did for me), as the process is very much the same as using an inlay kit.

disclaimer: All of my guide bushings are .20 long (Woodcraft has these), I strongly suggest either another set of bushings, or grinding down those goofy ones that everybody else sells.
      If it ain't broke.. don't fix it!!!... but you can always 'hop it up'
      **one and only purchaser of a BT3C official thong**

Comment

• messmaker
        Veteran Member
        • May 2004
        • RICHMOND, KY, USA.
        • Ridgid 2424

I would use a thicker template and a flush trim bit.3/4" should do it. MCLS has printout directions that may be helpful.
        spellling champion Lexington region 1982

Comment

• ssmith1627
          • Dec 2005
          • Corryton, TN, USA.
          • Ryobi BT3100

Thanks for the ideas guys. I think grinding down the bushing would be a simple option. But I like the other idea of using two separate bushings to get the results you want too.

I had the idea at 1am last night laying in bed -- use carpet tape to attach a layer of hardboard to my router base plate. Obviously a hole in the center for the bushing and bit. This would raise the router up another 1/4" and that might work.

Thanks again.

Steve

Comment

• Thom2
            • Jan 2003
            • Stevens, PA, USA.
            • Craftsman 22124

Tried to post results pics last night, but all my batteries for the camera were dead.

Full size pics here: http://bt3gallery.fhauto.com/view_al...me=RouterTable

Comment

• gad5264
              Veteran Member
              • Aug 2005
              • Columbus, Ohio, USA
              • BT3000/BT3100NIB

Looks great Thom
              Grant
              "GO Buckeyes"

My projects: http://community.webshots.com/user/gad5264

Comment

• ssmith1627
                • Dec 2005
                • Corryton, TN, USA.
                • Ryobi BT3100

That really does look great Thom. Perfect fit.

I'm happy with how mine turned out. I went with the easiest solution you guys suggested -- taking a hacksaw to the bushing.

Here are the results:

http://ssmith1627.myphotoalbum.com/v..._0829Smith0079

http://ssmith1627.myphotoalbum.com/v...umName=album01

Now I just have to complete both of these cabinets and build a frame to attach the router table top to the rails of the saw.

Steve

Comment

• Thom2
                  • Jan 2003
                  • Stevens, PA, USA.
                  • Craftsman 22124

Looks GREAT Steve, you're gonna have yourself one fine setup there when it's all together!!!!!

Comment

Working...