• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Lonnie in Orlando
    • May 2003
    • Orlando, FL, USA.
    • BT3000

SCMS Fence & Throat Fix

The one-piece fence on my Harbor Freight 12" SCMS has always been a little off. The left and right sides were not coplanar horizontally or vertically. Could it be because the fence is one-piece, or because it is a $100 HF saw???

Here is my fix to get it straight and square to the table. Could work on any saw with a one piece fence.

> I cut a plywood face that runs the full width of the fence, with no cut-out for the blade. I used the fence as a template.

> I covered the fence with masking tape to allow the fix to be reversible.

> I hot glued the face to the fence. The hot glue filled the gaps between the straight & true plywood face and the crooked fence. I used the fence from my router table to hold the face perfectly vertical while the glue cured. Any square jointed piece will work to hold the face vertical.

> While I was at it, I replaced the plastic throat plate with a piece of 1/2" (.412") plywood. No planing needed, it was the correct thickness.
    (Ouch! I just noticed that the blade guard didn't return when this pic was taken.)

I squared the fence to the blade and made some test cuts. It is spot-on, both vertically and horizontally! Even with the face in place, I still have over 11" cutting capacity.

Future bevil and miter cuts will chop out sections of the fence and throat plate.

Notes:
    1) I tried covering the aluminum fence with clear packing tape, but the hot glue didn't stick to it. So I went to masking tape for the second attempt.

2) I used some funky Sears "Formula 200 - Filling" hot glue instead of regular hot glue for the second attempt. So far, it's adhering ok.

- Lonnie
    OLD STUFF ... houses, furniture, cars, wine ... I love it all
Working...