• Show
Clear All
  • jonathan55
    Established Member
    • Jun 2005
    • Cleveland, Ohio, USA.
    • BT3100

Hitachi Scroll Saw at Lowes Review?

Does anyone here have this saw? It seems like a good deal but I haven't seen a review and don't know anyone with one. Any thoughts on this saw?

Jonathan
  • ragswl4
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2007
    • Winchester, Ca
    • C-Man 22114

Originally posted by jonathan55
    Does anyone here have this saw? It seems like a good deal but I haven't seen a review and don't know anyone with one. Any thoughts on this saw?

Jonathan

If its the saw I think it is, it is a re-badged Tradesman. Also sold under the Craftsman label. I had one, paid $69 on sale (Tradesman model). Used it once and sold it for $50, vibration prone even though it was pretty heavy. YMMV.
    RAGS
    Raggy and Me in San Felipe
    sigpic

Comment

• kevincan
      Established Member
      • Oct 2006
      • Central Illinois
      • Craftsman 21829

I think that this is the Sears Craftsman version of that saw. It looks the same only it does not come with a stand. It has a number of reviews listed for it. It is also on sale for $99.

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...me=Scroll+Saws

Kevin

Comment

• cork58
        Established Member
        • Jan 2006
        • Wasilla, AK, USA.
        • BT3000

As newbie to scrollsaw I did alot of research befor buying mine. Things to look for are vibration, ease of replacing blades, and price. I went with the Dewalt DW788. The first thing to do is get rid of the blades it came with and get better ones. There is alot of them out there and everyone will have there own picks. I went with ones that was advised by a local long time scroller here in my area and I really like them. Now this is not an Excaliber but it is good enought for what I do. I did put it on casters that lock to save space and built a table in the saw for blades, files, plans ect. If you would like I can send you pics of what I did. It serves me well. The table is important as well, it needs wax and large enought to do large work. I have done a sign that is 10' X 12" and small work down to 1/8" on the same saw. Be sure to get the best of what you expect to do. Not the most expensive and not the cheepest, the best for what you expect. If no one has made a reveiw be careful. Wait. Visit www.scrollsawer.com and http://www.scrollsawworkshop.blogspot.com/ Steve is very helpful in helping new people. He has helped me quit a few times with problems I was having with my skill level. He will answere your questions at your level which I really liked. I have grown in the past few months thanks to him.

Just my thoughts.........
        Cork,

Dare to dream and dare to fail.

Comment

• jonathan55
          Established Member
          • Jun 2005
          • Cleveland, Ohio, USA.
          • BT3100

Thanks for the conparisons! It looks exactly like the Tradesman and Craftsman. The Craftsman got fair reviews.

Cork, thanks for the info. I am going to look into the Dremel and Dewalt (and decide how much I want to spend!)

Comment

• drumpriest
            Veteran Member
            • Feb 2004
            • Pittsburgh, Pa, USA.
            • Powermatic PM 2000

Go look at it and see how difficult it is to change the blades. I went with the dewalt as well, and it's been very good to me, cuts marquetry well and I've done a fair amount of fretwork as well. For either of those tasks (and most any scrolling task) there are a TON of interior cuts. That means releasing the blade, threading it through the project, reconnecting the blade, tensioning, and cutting again.

I've done this process 1000s of times with my saw, and I can't imagine doing it with a saw that is less efficient in doing this. My thumb gets sore from doing it on the dewalt, I have great respect for the patience of those of you out there with less efficient machines in the blade change process.

There are several "higher end" scroll saws out there than the Dewalt with less efficient blade change, but are better in other areas. It's definitely an aspect work major consideration.
            Keith Z. Leonard
            Go Steelers!

Comment

• Flatlander
              Forum Newbie
              • Dec 2005
              • Illinois
              • BT3100

Here is an older review of this scroll saw. I had one before my house fire and it worked well, but it did have a lot of vibration at higher speeds.

http://www.woodnet.net/plansnow/review-scrollsaw.pdf

Comment

Working...