• Show
Clear All
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

christmas wrapping paper cutting jig

OK, this is not a super killer project or anything, its a 10 minute project that solve a problem and I'm secretly very satisfied with it. Maybe you'll find it useful.

Problem: You got these rolls of wrapping paper 24-36" wide and can't cut them straight.

Solution:
    You get these inexpensive envelope openers for free with advertising, trade-shows etc. they have a slot to direct the flap/paper and at the base of the slot a small cutter to slice the paper, very safe etc. By themselves they won't cut straight, but with a straight guide slot, they'll cut straight lines.

So the jig is to get a 36" piece of scrap lumber like 1/2 to 3/4" thick, 3-6 inches wide and cut a small dado groove down the center wide wide enough to pass the bottom of the opener (about .175") and deep enough to place the slot opening at the top of the jig (about .2" deep); basically cut and fit. You want the wood heavy enough to stay in place.

It was two or three passes with the thin kerf blade to get it where is passed easily, no need to break out the dado blade. The slot can be pretty sloppy, 1/32th oversize is probably desireable. Like the pic below, so it will stand up and lean slightly if placed there. Rip fence microadjuster is perfect accessory to use here.

So now I can put the tip of the opener in the slot and zip a crosscut in the wrapping paper on a perfetctly straight line without even trying.
    You just have to place a finger or two on the paper pressing it against the wood, to get the cut started with your other hand.

Pic below:
    Attached Files
    Last edited by LCHIEN; 12-22-2012, 01:57 AM.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions
  • JoeyGee
    Veteran Member
    • Nov 2005
    • Sylvania, OH, USA.
    • BT3100-1

That's a great idea. LOML has a wrapping paper cutter that is basically a 36" piece of plastic "angle"--which has a sharpish edge on one side. All you have to do is put on the paper, hold it down and tear the paper along the edge. It works great, as I'm sure your's does.

Of course, if I made yours, I would get shop time, and appreciation, which equals more shop time .
    Joe

Comment

• LCHIEN
      Internet Fact Checker
      • Dec 2002
      • Katy, TX, USA.
      • BT3000 vintage 1999

did I mention LOML? she hasn't seen it yet. Doubt she'll appreciate it, crooked edges don't bother her but they bug the heck out of me. I've wrapped both of presents I boght this year...
      Loring in Katy, TX USA
      If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.

Comment

• cgallery
        Veteran Member
        • Sep 2004
        • Milwaukee, WI
        • BT3K

That's pretty darn clever. You could even make a more elaborate version that could hold two rolls of paper (in little trays on either side of the groove). Then, when someone is done, they could fold the entire thing up and put it away.

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
          The Full Monte
          • May 2007
          • Sunshine State
          • BT3000

Here's what I did. I took a 42" piece of 1x4 and nailed an equal length of an old fine-toothed bandsaw blade to it, so that the toothed edge just protrudes past the edge of the board (like on a roll of tin foil). Now I just lay it on top of the rolled-out paper, and rip whatever length I need.

Comment

• LCHIEN
            Internet Fact Checker
            • Dec 2002
            • Katy, TX, USA.
            • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by cgallery
            That's pretty darn clever. You could even make a more elaborate version that could hold two rolls of paper (in little trays on either side of the groove). Then, when someone is done, they could fold the entire thing up and put it away.
            Elaborate takes more than 10 minutes...
            Loring in Katy, TX USA

Comment

• cabinetman
              Gone but not Forgotten RIP
              • Jun 2006
              • So. Florida
              • Delta

Wait...sounds great and really very simple. BUT, what if after it's made you find out you don't have one of those nifty little cutters. What does one do? Pray for more junk mail?

Comment

• LCHIEN
                Internet Fact Checker
                • Dec 2002
                • Katy, TX, USA.
                • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by cabinetman
                Wait...sounds great and really very simple. BUT, what if after it's made you find out you don't have one of those nifty little cutters. What does one do? Pray for more junk mail?
                fifty-one cents (0.51) at Amazon.com:

Last edited by LCHIEN; 12-16-2007, 06:01 PM.
                Loring in Katy, TX USA

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
                  The Full Monte
                  • May 2007
                  • Sunshine State
                  • BT3000

Originally posted by LCHIEN
                  fifty-one cents (0.51) at Amazon.com:
                  Too bad it doesn't have a power cord on it... Then we could use it to get the extra discount on accessories... But then their buyers will wonder why the cult-like interest in the cheap engravers has suddenly dried up.

Comment

• Alex Franke
                    Veteran Member
                    • Feb 2007
                    • Chapel Hill, NC
                    • Ryobi BT3100

I usually start with a fresh roll of the paper I want to use and rough-cut it to width at the band saw. This leaves one good factory edge when it's unrolled. I clean this up at the table saw by ripping the paper to width with the factory edge at the fence.

If I have double-sided paper (or if I notice slight variations in thickness left over from the paper-making process) I like to plane off the side I don't need (or the back side if just evening out the thickness) at the thickness planer or drum sander. Thickness planer shavings are messy, but they make great confetti if you're shaving off a colorful side.

Back at the table saw I'll use the cross-cut sled to square the ends -- of course being very careful to set the blade at *exactly* 90 degrees, because otherwise tape-up can be a disaster! To get a nice clean look after tape-up, I sometimes round over the top edges with a router.

Sometimes I don't get a good fit with a standard wrapping paper width. In those cases I just trim the gift down to size. Be sure to deburr the edges if you're resizing things like electronic gifts with metal cases.

Be sure to have lots of clamps at hand for tape-up, and don't forget to dry fit!

I like to use the waste paper as kindling or for stocking stuffers.
                    online at http://www.theFrankes.com
                    while ( !( succeed = try() ) ) ;
                    "Life is short, Art long, Occasion sudden and dangerous, Experience deceitful, and Judgment difficult." -Hippocrates

Comment

• LCHIEN
                      Internet Fact Checker
                      • Dec 2002
                      • Katy, TX, USA.
                      • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by Uncle Cracker
                      Too bad it doesn't have a power cord on it... Then we could use it to get the extra discount on accessories... But then their buyers will wonder why the cult-like interest in the cheap engravers has suddenly dried up.

Zippy deluxe powered scissors. $16.
                      other electric scissors or power scissors from as little as $5.64 on Amazon...
                      Loring in Katy, TX USA

Comment

• LCHIEN
                        Internet Fact Checker
                        • Dec 2002
                        • Katy, TX, USA.
                        • BT3000 vintage 1999

Alex, you're a sick puppy.
                        Repeat after me: MY name is Alex Franke and I'm a toolaholic...
                        Loring in Katy, TX USA

Comment

• LinuxRandal
                          Veteran Member
                          • Feb 2005
                          • Independence, MO, USA.
                          • bt3100

Ok, so now I can have straight, clean edges to get a paper cut, have the tape stick to me, then to the paper, rip the paper trying to get it off the tape and stop from bleeding on it, and still have the wrapping look like (censored).
                          She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• crokett
                            The Full Monte
                            • Jan 2003
                            • Mebane, NC, USA.
                            • Ryobi BT3000

Cool idea Loring, but I think you are working too hard.
                            Crooked edges never bothered me - all someone is going to do is tear the paper off and toss it anyway. Here, have a cup or three of my eggnog and I bet the crooked edges won't bother you either.
                            David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• scmhogg
                              Veteran Member
                              • Jan 2003
                              • Simi Valley, CA, USA.
                              • BT3000

Alex,

LOL But, I used my bandsaw to cut a roll of parchment paper to fit the width of the cookie sheets I use.

Steve
                              I would never die for my beliefs because I might be wrong. Bertrand Russell

Comment

Working...