My Last Router Table (Part 2: Table Support)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • steve-norrell
    Veteran Member
    • Apr 2006
    • The Great Land - Alaska
    • BT3100-1

My Last Router Table (Part 2: Table Support)

I could (and have and still do) use aluminum angles to support the table. But, I wanted a system where the supports would be quickly, easily and, most important, accurately installed on the rails. I needed table supports that would accurately index on the rails and would not require leveling or height adjustment. Four photos show the results.

The front table supports index on the top inner surface of the front rail. A 1/8 inch lip engages the front rail while t-nuts and appropriate knobs or bolts hold the support in place. These are made from Oak, but I have used MDF with good results. Machined aluminum would be better yet.

The rear table supports require a different indexing point because room is needed to allow the rear part of the fence free motion over the full length of the rails. Indexing is achieved with a 1/8 inch strip of hardboard glued to a three inch piece of MDF. The hardboard strip snuggly fits into the bottom groove on the inside of the rear rail. Again, t-nuts hold the piece to the rail. These are MDF, but wood or aluminum could be used and may be even better.

The location of the hole for the bolts is not critical since the indexing is achieved as described above. In these cases, the center of the hole on the front support is 3/4 inch below the index surface; on the rear support it is 5/8 inch up from the index surface. The diameter of the hole may be slightly larger than needed to accomodate small offsets.

The table mounting surface is cut so that whatever is being mounted will end up flush with the table saw's surface (in this case, 1 - 1/2 inches). If the surface is too low, shims may be used; if it is too high, the supports can be trimmed.

The third photo shows the mounted supports, four on each rail. I will have more to say about the dust box later. The last photo shows the indexing surface of the table supports.

I hope to post the other two installments later today or tomorrow.

Regards, Steve
  • cgallery
    Veteran Member
    • Sep 2004
    • Milwaukee, WI
    • BT3K

Originally posted by steve-norrell
    I hope to post the other two installments later today or tomorrow.
    What? Get back here and post the other two!

I like what I see so far. You have identified many of the issues I had to struggle with and your solutions are nicely executed.

Comment

• Mr__Bill
      Veteran Member
      • May 2007
      • Tacoma, WA
      • BT3000

Nice work, sure blows my melamean (sp) table out of the water. How are you going to mount the switch that controls the router and shop vac?

Comment

Working...