• Show
Clear All
  • LarryG
    The Full Monte
    • May 2004
    • Off The Back
    • Powermatic PM2000, BT3100-1

Small Assembly Squares, On The Cheap

For some time, I've been wanting some small assembly squares like these 6" aluminum models sold by Lee Valley, Woodcraft, and probably others:

I have some larger assembly squares, cut out of 3/4" MDF, that work well on big assemblies using bar clamps or Quick-Grips; but I wanted some little ones, for smaller workpieces, with flanges thin enough to use with spring clamps. The problem with the LV/Woodcraft squares was and is the price. They get $30-33 for a pair of them, and to me that just seems absurdly expensive for something so simple.

Of course I could have built some small squares, maybe using Baltic birch plywood with strips of aluminum plate screwed to the edges (or something like that), but that struck me as a fussy little job; and it was one of those secondary projects that never seemed to migrate to the top of the To-Do list.

About a week ago, I happened to be in a local liquidator's store that is sort of like a cross between Big Lots and Harbor Freight. Browsing the tool department, my eyes landed on some heavy-duty 4" galvanized steel corner braces from Stanley:

Price: $2.75 per pair. I was idly musing that that might not be too bad a price to pay for some strong brackets to build some new wall-mounted clamp racks ... when suddenly, the light went on.

At home, in the shop, I tore open the blister pack, positioned the corner braces at the edges of two scraps of plywood each about 12" long, clamped everything together, and checked the result with my 12" Starrett combination square.

The verdict? Absolutely dead solid perfect. I couldn't see even a glimmer of daylight beneath either leg of the square.

These braces are 4" long versus 6" for the nice alumimum jobs from LV, but hey ... at less than one-tenth the price, I can live with that. The Stanley part number is 755565. They're probably available at the big box stores, although I'd expect the price to be somewhat higher than the $2.75 I paid. Still should be a ton cheaper than thirty-odd bucks, though.
    Last edited by LarryG; 07-31-2009, 09:37 AM. Reason: fixed busted photo links
    Larry
  • JR
    The Full Monte
    • Feb 2004
    • Eugene, OR
    • BT3000

Nice tip, Larry!
    JR

Comment

• footprintsinconc
      Veteran Member
      • Nov 2006
      • Roseville (Sacramento), CA
      • BT3100

cool, that is a neat idea.

what is the address to the place, i going to map it

Comment

• charliex
        • Mar 2004
        • Spring Valley, MN, USA.
        • Sears equivelent BT3100-1

Nice catch Larry. I use these to reinforce library chairs that I have been rebuilding over the last year and the thought never occurred to me. I think I pay about $4.50 for a pair of 3" ones at HD. I checked the ones I have and they're not perfect but they could be brought to square with a few hammer taps. Thanks for the tip.
        Chas

Comment

• crokett
          The Full Monte
          • Jan 2003
          • Mebane, NC, USA.
          • Ryobi BT3000

That is a great idea. Thanks for the tip. If you wanted them longer methinks it would be easy enough to add some aluminum extensions.
          David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• JSUPreston
            Veteran Member
            • Dec 2005
            • Montgomery, AL.
            • Delta 36-979 w/Biesemyere fence kit making it a 36-982. Previous saw was BT3100-1.

Larry, I've been seeing Nahm use those for a while, and honestly I thought they were brackets like the Stanley. I didn't realize it was an actual tool. Better go pick up some at the BORG before they catch on and raise the price.
            "It's a dog eat dog world out there, and I'm wearing Milk-Bone underwear."- Norm (from Cheers)

Eat beef-because the west wasn't won on salad.

Comment

• hermit
              Established Member
              • Dec 2002
              • Somerset, PA, USA.

thats a great tip. I want to add a few cents here. I was using homemade mdf angles for some time, then was at a woodworking show recently, and ended up buying some of the "real" aluminum kind. I can tell you, they are MUCH nicer to work with than the old homemade ones. They are pricey, but if you don't mind spending a few$ they really are worth it.

Todd

Comment

• niki
                • Nov 2006
                • Poland
                • EB PK255

That's a great tip Larry

Even if they are not perfect 90°, you can screw (or glue with CA) two pieces of wood - one on each vertical side, put it on your table saw sled and "joint" it to perfect 90°

Thank you
                niki

Comment

• bigstick509
                  Veteran Member
                  • Dec 2004
                  • Macomb, MI, USA.
                  • BT3100

Thanks Larry, I have been looking at the expensive models for a couple of years at the WoodWorking Show. Occasionally when I'm in one of the big box stores I've nosed around for a alternatives but I guess I looking in the wrong place.

Mike

"It's not the things you don't know that will hurt you, it's the things you think you know that ain't so." - Mark Twain

Comment

• JimD
                    Veteran Member
                    • Feb 2003
                    • Lexington, SC.

Anybody ever use the little picture frame clamps? I have a couple and use them regularly when building with screws and glue construction. They have clamps as part of the piece plus the right angle.

Jim

Comment

• jackellis
                      Veteran Member
                      • Nov 2003
                      • Tahoe City, CA, USA.
                      • BT3100

Originally posted by JimD
                      Anybody ever use the little picture frame clamps? I have a couple and use them regularly when building with screws and glue construction. They have clamps as part of the piece plus the right angle.

Jim
                      I have, and I haven't quite decided how useful they are. Also, because they require clearance on both the inside and the outside of the joint, positioning them can be inconvenient.

Of course, my difficulties could be more related to the tool user than the tool itself.

Comment

• LarryG
                        The Full Monte
                        • May 2004
                        • Off The Back
                        • Powermatic PM2000, BT3100-1

Well, it turns out there's some luck-of-the-draw involved. Yesterday I went back and bought three more sets of the Stanley brackets; I wanted another pair for assembly purposes, and the remainder just to put in inventory.

Two pair were fine; but in the third, one bracket was bent to form about a 95deg angle! This probably would've been apparent even in the blister pack, if I'd looked closely. So, check carefully any pair that you may buy. These are a good deal if they're actually square (and, again, three out of the four sets I bought are) but useless if they're not.
                        Last edited by LarryG; 01-07-2008, 08:37 AM.
                        Larry

Comment

• Alex Franke
                          Veteran Member
                          • Feb 2007
                          • Chapel Hill, NC
                          • Ryobi BT3100

Hey that's a superb tip! You should submit it to a mag!

Niki's mod is also genius.

I'm bringing a square with me next time I go to HD... Thanks!
                          online at http://www.theFrankes.com
                          while ( !( succeed = try() ) ) ;
                          "Life is short, Art long, Occasion sudden and dangerous, Experience deceitful, and Judgment difficult." -Hippocrates

Comment

• JSUPreston
                            Veteran Member
                            • Dec 2005
                            • Montgomery, AL.
                            • Delta 36-979 w/Biesemyere fence kit making it a 36-982. Previous saw was BT3100-1.

I bought a pack yesterday while at Lowe's. If my drafting square is right, both appear to be dead on 90. I took a Sharpie and marked them so I would remember what they are for.
                            "It's a dog eat dog world out there, and I'm wearing Milk-Bone underwear."- Norm (from Cheers)

Eat beef-because the west wasn't won on salad.

Comment

• Jeffrey Schronce
                              Veteran Member
                              • Nov 2005
                              • York, PA, USA.

Most excellent idea! I have thought the same thing about the crazy over pricing of the Rockler, LV, etc assembly squares.

Thanks!

Comment

Working...