• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Lonnie in Orlando
    • May 2003
    • Orlando, FL, USA.
    • BT3000

Miter Fence Not Square to SMT

Anybody have a better / simple solution?

PROBLEM -
    The face of my miter fence is not square to the SMT when I tighten the miter fence holder. The top leans back about an "umph"-degree. Looks like it is a design problem: the bolt for the clamp is behind the fence, so the clamp rotates the fence back as it is tightened.

MY SOLUTION -
    I stuck a few thin strips of metal duct tape to rear-bottom edge of the holder (red arrow in attached diagram). This rotates the top of the holder toward the outfeed side and clamps the fence vertical, at least for now.

- Lonnie
    Attached Files
    OLD STUFF ... houses, furniture, cars, wine ... I love it all
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

Has it always been this way?
    One would expect that both the holder and the miter fence are dimensionally stable parts and not change dimension over time. Nor are they subject to excessive wear that would make them shorter over time.
    I assumed you cleaned the bottom of the miter fence and checked for FOD (foreign objects/debris) that might make it taller than the holder.

Barring that, I see nothing wrong with you method of shimming up the holder, unless you used fabric duct tape which is compressible rather than aluminum duct tape.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• Lonnie in Orlando
      • May 2003
      • Orlando, FL, USA.
      • BT3000

Loring -

Been that way probably since new. I assumed that it was a common problem. Maybe it's just a problem with my saw.

In the past, I stuck strips of blue tape to the top of the fence as a temp fix to get the workpiece square to the table. Decided to try a more permanent, yet simple fix today.

Yes - everything is clean. Yes - used metal tape.

Thanks,

- Lonnie
      OLD STUFF ... houses, furniture, cars, wine ... I love it all

Comment

• steve-norrell
        Veteran Member
        • Apr 2006
        • The Great Land - Alaska
        • BT3100-1

Interesting! Assuming there is no sawdust or other debris under the clamp, it may or may not be a design issue. It could also be a tolerance issue during manufacture. (How's that for a non-answer?)

Here is a quote from INCRA's manual on their 1000SE miter gauge that deals with the same issue:

Squaring the fence to your table saw top

The method used to join the fence mounting
        bracket to the protractor head makes it easy to
        fine-tune the fence perfectly perpendicular to your table
        top. To adjust, loosen the (3) #10-24 socket head
        screws that secure the bracket and slide a paper or
        plastic shim between the bracket and the protractor
        head. Placing the shim behind the screws will
        decrease the angle. Placing the shim in front of the
        screws will increase the angle.
        [/I]

I did adjust my INCRA gauge, but haven't noticed the problem with the Ryobi gauge. Loren's suggestion is probably the best solution and is consistent with the INCRA instructions.

Regards, Steve

Comment

• eezlock
          • Feb 2006
          • Charlotte,N.C.
          • BT3100

miter fence not squre to SMT

Lonnie, I'm not saying this is a solution to your problem, but check the bottom side of the SMT and see where the clamping bolt is situated in relation to the bottom grove it rides in. If I remember correctly I faced a similar situation with my smt at one point, I went back to my directions/owners manual and found something about a flat washer should be installed between the bolt head and the table underside.

A flat washer between the bolt head and the table would tend to equalize
          the clamping pressure and prevent it from pulling the clamp at an angle instead of making it clamp straight to the table. I hope this helps to at least give you a starting point to fixing your problem. eezlock

Comment

• LCHIEN
            Internet Fact Checker
            • Dec 2002
            • Katy, TX, USA.
            • BT3000 vintage 1999

there should be a flat washer on top of the hold down under the knob but NOT any other place: under the holder or under the SMT.
            Loring in Katy, TX USA
            If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
            BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

Working...