• Show
Clear All
  • cabinetman
    Gone but not Forgotten RIP
    • Jun 2006
    • So. Florida
    • Delta

Don't Be Fooled!!!

Many manufacturers realize that what they print on the label may induce purchase regardless of its contents. One product that gets mentioned that falls into this category is Resisthane.
    It's base solvent is "Dipropylene Glycol Methyl Ether. That chemical is a variation of Ethylene Glycol, which is the same chemical found in anti-freeze, which is water soluable. For other common products, this chemical is also present in these products.

Just to clarify the types of film finishes and their base (solvent), is pretty simple, there aren't that many.

Lacquer thinner (acetone based) - lacquer
    Mineral Spirits (or Naptha, turpentine) - a variation of oil based coatings
    Denatured alcohol - Shellac
    Water - all water based (waterborne) coatings

This is a simplified listing, and the individual ingredients may vary as to binders, resins, carriers, etc. Basically the solvent acts as a carrier and an evaporative part of the formula. To know what the actual base of a finish is, the label will list what to use for "clean-up" or thinning.

So, the question of why Resisthane's label says "Pre-Catalyzed Lacquer" when it's not? It's likely that they are directing the product to the lacquer users, or those that think they are getting a "lacquer" finish, but are overjoyed at the thought it is less toxic, and cleans up with water.

The "Ethylene Glycol" content, or its derivatives is definitely a solvent of sorts. It will dissolve tarmac (asphalt), as you know if you've had a leaky radiator containing anti-freeze.

I've also seen products claiming to be a waterbased varnish. A description of finishes with the realities can be found here.
  • mschrank
    Veteran Member
    • Oct 2004
    • Hood River, OR, USA.
    • BT3000

I'm not fooled.

If a can says both "laquer" and "water based," I'm obviously not getting a true laquer. I would assume I'm getting a product that is much less toxic and flammable, yet results in a laquer-like finish.

This is what I get when I use Resisthane: Compared to true laquer, virtually no odor, no concerns about flammability, and easy cleanup. Yet the finish is much harder than some true laquers (Deft, for example). OK, maybe it's got some nasty chemical in it that is also found in the floor polish I store under my sink. Anyone who thinks it's safe to drink because it's water-based is a Darwin Award candidate.

The finishing industry is rife with products claiming to be one thing when they are technically another. "Tung Oil" is particularly abused.

Maybe we should lobby Hood Finishing Products to label their cans thusly:

RESISTHANE
    Pre-Catalyzed Dipropylene glycol methyl ether suspended in Dihydrogen monoxide

Or, maybe they should keep their current labeling because it helps consumers know what characteristics to expect from the product. Same goes for water-based "varnishes."

Thanks for the post, Cabinetman. Finishing products chemistry is confusing for the consumer, and it would be nice if companies were a bit more forthcoming on what their product actually is. For anyone interested, I highly recommend Bob Flexner's Understanding Wood Finishing. He goes into exhaustive detail about what's really going on with the various products on the market.
    Mike

Drywall screws are not wood screws

Comment

• bradley_osu
      Forum Newbie
      • May 2006
      • Columbus, OH
      • None yet :(

It's base solvent is "Dipropylene Glycol Methyl Ether. That chemical is a variation of Ethylene Glycol, which is the same chemical found in anti-freeze, which is water soluable.

The "Ethylene Glycol" content, or its derivatives is definitely a solvent of sorts. It will dissolve tarmac (asphalt), as you know if you've had a leaky radiator containing anti-freeze.
      It may be a variation of ethylene glycol but that does not mean that it will dissolve tarmac like ethylene glycol. A few variations here and there mean large differences in function and other chemical properties. Propylene glycol for example is a solvent that is safe for human consumption and is used in many liquid topical pharmaceutical products to get the active ingredients to dissolve well in the medium. Also used as a solvent for food colorings. Polyethylene glycol is also safe for human consumption and is used as a laxative, and is also used in several topical products.

Another example is methanol. Methanol will make you go blind and kill you, ethanol is the ingredient in so many fermented drinks. It will also kill you in excess, but can be enjoyed responsibly The only difference there is one carbon and three hydrogens.

I'm not debating it's qualities as a finish, I'm just saying be careful about describing it in the same breath as antifreeze.

Comment

• cabinetman
        Gone but not Forgotten RIP
        • Jun 2006
        • So. Florida
        • Delta

Originally posted by bradley_osu
        It may be a variation of ethylene glycol but that does not mean that it will dissolve tarmac like ethylene glycol. A few variations here and there mean large differences in function and other chemical properties. Propylene glycol for example is a solvent that is safe for human consumption and is used in many liquid topical pharmaceutical products to get the active ingredients to dissolve well in the medium. Also used as a solvent for food colorings. Polyethylene glycol is also safe for human consumption and is used as a laxative, and is also used in several topical products.

Another example is methanol. Methanol will make you go blind and kill you, ethanol is the ingredient in so many fermented drinks. It will also kill you in excess, but can be enjoyed responsibly The only difference there is one carbon and three hydrogens.

I'm not debating it's qualities as a finish, I'm just saying be careful about describing it in the same breath as antifreeze.

Who cares? This wasn't meant to be a chemistry post. If it really matters which and how many carbons are in what, and that's what you're responding to, you missed the point to the post.

I'm not downplaying the use of waterborne finishes, I use them. Some confusion is created by labels, what they're called, and what the products really are.

Comment

Working...