• Show
Clear All
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

Micropositioner at Sears

I was cruising the Craftsman tool catalog that came out in April and was surprised to see a micropositioner pictured on the page with table saw accessories. It was described as being for the 22811 saw (original BT3000 with Craftsman badges) but as we all know, also fits the BT3000, BT3100, C'man 21829

Price was $29.99 and in-stock at the Sears website, you can find it by searchign for 22214 (it's sears part number) and sometimes 22811. Also for the 22811 they are listing the ZCTPs for $15 (P/N 22212) as well as the Leg kit (for the wide table). All listed as working with the 22811.

So all those wanting the nice micropositioner, you can order from Sears.

Which brings me to an interesting series of questions:
    1. do the sears copywriters know it fits the 21829 which is a current model.
    2. The 22811 is out of production/no longer sold for several years now, I guessing about 4. Wonder why they still list accessoris for it - you won't find accessories for any other older saws
    3. Wonder if there are any people in the buying and catalog dept that realize the "kinship" of the 22811 and 21829 models.... or are they all just blissfully ignorant? Clearly the part dept. doesn't know, they have separate part numbers for the same parts used in both saws listed under the breakdowns for each one. Curiously the same part sometimes costs twice as much for one saw as the other. Specifically, drive belts and blade wrenches come to mind.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions
  • LinuxRandal
    Veteran Member
    • Feb 2005
    • Independence, MO, USA.
    • bt3100

I laughed when I found the dual slot miter tables (that had been closed out on the website earlier), in their new clearance section, the day they set up their 21829's display.

I had HOPED, it would be back, in new packaging, with the additional number 21829.

I gave them too much credit.
    She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
      The Full Monte
      • May 2007
      • Sunshine State
      • BT3000

Not surprised. I've seen the same parts under different numbers (and with different prices) numerous times in the past. I'm sure that keeping up with all that is a daunting job, but it can't be impossible...

Comment

• newood2
        • Aug 2004
        • Brooklyn, NY.
        • BT3100-1

Originally posted by LCHIEN

Which brings me to an interesting series of questions:
        1. do the sears copywriters know it fits the 21829 which is a current model.
        3. Wonder if there are any people in the buying and catalog dept that realize the "kinship" of the 22811 and 21829 models.... or are they all just blissfully ignorant? Clearly the part dept. doesn't know, they have separate part numbers for the same parts used in both saws listed under the breakdowns for each one. Curiously the same part sometimes costs twice as much for one saw as the other. Specifically, drive belts and blade wrenches come to mind.
        Shhhhhhh...Loring, Sears might be reading here and wise up.
        Howie

Comment

• RickT
          Established Member
          • Jun 2003

Sears will eventually run out of micro positioners, or they'll stop offering them. Anyway, I should probably order one before it's too late. Do they work well? It appears from the picture on the Sears web site that it slides in the channel along the top of the front rail, and the lip fits under the handle housing of the rip fence. Does the knob on the front tighten it the front rail somehow? does it leave a screw indentation in the rail each time it's tightened?
          Thanks,
          Rick

Comment

• RLonning
            Forum Newbie
            • Mar 2005
            • Hailey, ID, USA.

Micro positioner

Rick,
            You are right about your assumptions of how the thing works. The thumb screw tightens it to the rail so you can dial your rip fence position left or right in tiny increments. Mine has never left marks on the rail and I use it all the time. I had gotten tired of bumping to the left, then back to the right, etc., etc., etc. It's easy to disconnect it from the rip fence, but I find it really doesn't get in my way as I use the fence for regular adjustments.

Comment

• LCHIEN
              Internet Fact Checker
              • Dec 2002
              • Katy, TX, USA.
              • BT3000 vintage 1999

the small screw on the front locks the device to the rail. You are correct on your assumptions.
              If you really crank on it it leaves dents in the rail. I find you just have to barely tighten it to work right (the unlcoked rip fence moves very easily) and in that case leaves no appreciable marks.
              I would say overall this is one of the better BT3 accessoroes, nicely executed and works very well.
              The knob has four distinct marks of different length so you can tell them apart, each turn is 1/16th inch so if you stop exactly on the marks you get 1/64th, I find it easy to stop halfway in between and get 1/128th inch (.008") positioning. or even 1/3 or a mark.
              I literally measure a groove for example, and find I want it .043 wider; Each knob mark being .016" I know to turn it a bit more than 2-1/2, or almost 2-3/4 marks. It really works.
              Last edited by LCHIEN; 04-20-2008, 03:02 PM.
              Loring in Katy, TX USA
              If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
              BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• RickT
                Established Member
                • Jun 2003

Thanks so much, guys. I'm ordering one right away.
                Have a super afternoon!
                Rick

Comment

Working...