• Show
Clear All
  • poolhound
    Veteran Member
    • Mar 2006
    • Phoenix, AZ
    • BT3100

Bandsaw blades

Had my new BS for a week now and I have done a few test cuts and also resawed a 5" piece of 10/4 maple with ease. this was all with the stock PM 3/8 105 blade that came with it.

I am now looking to get a couple of extra blades. One specifically for resawing the other as a general purpose blade. Timberwolf seems to be the brand of choice but what would you folks reccomend for size & teeth for these 2 blades. while TW always seems to get the thumbs up from most people should I consider other brands or specific blades?

As always I look forward to hearing from your experiences.
    Jon

Phoenix AZ - It's a dry heat

We all make mistakes and I should know I've made enough of them
    techzibits.com
  • Pappy
    The Full Monte
    • Dec 2002
    • San Marcos, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 (x2)

Unless they have changed, if you buy 3 they add a 4th blade free. Give them a call and let the experts advise you on the right blades for what you plan to do.
    Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
    Fools because they have to say something.
    Plato

Comment

• final_t
      Veteran Member
      • Nov 2003

If you call Timberwolf, they can actually help you out in choosing the right blade, plus if I remember correctly, they either had or still have a deal where you buy like three blades and get the fourth free, or something like that.
      On preview
      Generally, I get either the TW or Olsen blades at woodcraft when they are on sale.
      Otherwise, it's a 1/2", 3 tooth blade for resawing for the unit size you have, but if you've got a bigger than usual motor, you can run 3/4"

Comment

• drumpriest
        Veteran Member
        • Feb 2004
        • Pittsburgh, Pa, USA.
        • Powermatic PM 2000

I don't particularly care for Timberwolf's blades for resawing. They make great blades, don't get me wrong, but specifically for resawing I don't think you can beat the wood slicer from highland hardware. I think there is a knock off of them as well from Iturra... I've had both a 3 tpi 1/2" Timberwolf and the 1/2" 3 tpi wood slicer, and the wood slicer easily outperformed the Timberwolf.

I use Timberwolf blades for all of my other sizes and needs though, great blade at a great price. I have a 1/4" 6tpi that gets a lot of use, and a 3/16" for bandsaw box work.
        Keith Z. Leonard
        Go Steelers!

Comment

• DonHo
          Veteran Member
          • Mar 2004
          • Shawnee, OK, USA.
          • Craftsman 21829

"but specifically for resawing I don't think you can beat the wood slicer from highland hardware. I think there is a knock off of them as well from Iturra..."

I have the resaw blade from Iturra and I also have Timberwolf blades, I use Timberwolf blades for everthing else but I use the Iturra blade for resawing. It is a better resaw blade, they claim it's the same blade but they can't use the trade name because they sell it cheaper. Iturra doesn't have a webpage but you can find more information and a phone number in this post
          This forum is for discussions about any and all power tools. Whether you are looking to buy a new tool or you have a question about the usage of a tool, this is the place to be!

DonHo
          Don

Comment

• LCHIEN
            Internet Fact Checker
            • Dec 2002
            • Katy, TX, USA.
            • BT3000 vintage 1999

i have the highland wood slicer in a 1/2" and all i can say is wow, its heads above the Delta blade in 1/2" made for my bandsaw.
            I've not used the timberwolf so can't compare it to the WS.
            Loring in Katy, TX USA
            If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
            BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• poolhound
              Veteran Member
              • Mar 2006
              • Phoenix, AZ
              • BT3100

Originally posted by final_t
              Otherwise, it's a 1/2", 3 tooth blade for resawing for the unit size you have, but if you've got a bigger than usual motor, you can run 3/4"
              I guess it depends on what is "usual." The motor is 1 1/2 HP.
              Jon

techzibits.com

Comment

• poolhound
                Veteran Member
                • Mar 2006
                • Phoenix, AZ
                • BT3100

Hmmm sounds like a call to Ittura may be in order. I wonder if anybody answers the phone on a saturday?
                Jon

techzibits.com

Comment

• LCHIEN
                  Internet Fact Checker
                  • Dec 2002
                  • Katy, TX, USA.
                  • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by poolhound
                  I guess it depends on what is "usual." The motor is 1 1/2 HP.

I think the choice of 3/4" vs 1/2" depends not so much on the motor as the frame?

Bigger-motor helps in handling bigger resaw depth.
                  Bigger/stronger frame helps in tensioning 3/4" vs. tensioning 1/2"
                  The "C" of the frame must be strong enough to tension the blade. The tension is measured in pounds but the objective is to attain a certain tensile load in the blade measured in # pounds per square inch (based on the cross section of the blade). A 3/4" blade requires 50% more pounds of tension to achieve the same tensile loading.

A thicker blade e.g. 3/4" vs. 1/2" will cut a cleaner, straighter hence smoother cut.
                  Loring in Katy, TX USA
                  If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                  BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• jackellis
                    Veteran Member
                    • Nov 2003
                    • Tahoe City, CA, USA.
                    • BT3100

There's also BC Saw and Tool. Highly recommended in a FWW article. I've tried the Iturra and the BC Saw blades and both seem to be pretty good.

Comment

• Pappy
                      The Full Monte
                      • Dec 2002
                      • San Marcos, TX, USA.
                      • BT3000 (x2)

I couldn't remember the name of the WoodSlicer when I posted, or I would have mentioned it. I missed the thread on Ittura.
                      Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
                      Fools because they have to say something.
                      Plato

Comment

• poolhound
                        Veteran Member
                        • Mar 2006
                        • Phoenix, AZ
                        • BT3100

Originally posted by DonHo
                        "but specifically for resawing I don't think you can beat the wood slicer from highland hardware. I think there is a knock off of them as well from Iturra..."

I have the resaw blade from Iturra and I also have Timberwolf blades, I use Timberwolf blades for everthing else but I use the Iturra blade for resawing. It is a better resaw blade, they claim it's the same blade but they can't use the trade name because they sell it cheaper. Iturra doesn't have a webpage but you can find more information and a phone number in this post
                        This forum is for discussions about any and all power tools. Whether you are looking to buy a new tool or you have a question about the usage of a tool, this is the place to be!

DonHo

I called Iturra and spoke with Lou (very informative) and I have his version of the "woodslicer" and a GP 1/4 6tpi blade on the way. Will let you know about my resaw results when I get the blade and have had a chance to play.
                        Jon

techzibits.com

Comment

• drumpriest
                          Veteran Member
                          • Feb 2004
                          • Pittsburgh, Pa, USA.
                          • Powermatic PM 2000

The 1/2" vs 3/4" is about wheel size and spring strength mostly, I think. I've read and heard a lot of conflicting info when it comes to this topic. Some say that 1/2" is the perfect size for resaw, regardless of the bandsaw. Some say that a 14" wheel is just too small to properly tension a 3/4" blade....

I've had good luck with 1/2" on my old bandsaw, but have yet to try resaw on my new one until I get around to rewiring it for 220v. It'll just blow the breaker if I try it the way it is now.

I like timberwolf, but when I compared their 1/2" 3 tpi to the woodslicer, well, no comparison.

Good luck with your new blades, and post your thoughts on them!
                          Keith Z. Leonard
                          Go Steelers!

Comment

• poolhound
                            Veteran Member
                            • Mar 2006
                            • Phoenix, AZ
                            • BT3100

After a fairly lengthy discussion with Lou Iturra he explained that while you are correct about the 1/2 vs. 3/4 debate the issue is more to do with the thickness of the blade not the size. A conventional 3/4 blade is .032-.035" thick and generally you need a big band say 17" or greater to be able to tension this properly.

A regular 1/2" blade is only .025" thick hence the ablity to tension more easily. His blade (and the Woodslicer) is only .022" thick in both 1/2 and 3/4" versions. In general the larger the blade the straighter and smoother the cut so he said my 14" powermatic would be just fine with his 3/4" blade and the only downside is the fact that I would not be able to cut much of a curve with it. I was fine with that as I wanted to get one really good resaw blade anyway. With the 3/8 blade I already have and the 1/4" thats on its way I should be good for most things I want to do.
                            Jon

techzibits.com

Comment

• poolhound
                              Veteran Member
                              • Mar 2006
                              • Phoenix, AZ
                              • BT3100

Blades arrived today, only ordered on Friday so thats a great turnaround. The catalogue has a real "thud" factor and its a real mine of bandsaw information.

Not sure if I will have time to fit and use the new blades till the weekend but will keep you posted.
                              Jon

techzibits.com

Comment

Working...