• Show
Clear All
  • Alex Franke
    Veteran Member
    • Feb 2007
    • Chapel Hill, NC
    • Ryobi BT3100

Bench Tool Storage Shelf

I saw this in Wood magazine a few months ago and it seemed like the perfect solution for my cramped shop. It's made from maybe a half dozen 2x4's, some pegboard, some scrap plywood and a little scrap MDF on the top. Oh, and four 4" double locking casters from Grizzly -- probably the most expensive part, but well worth it.

I modified it to fit these tools, and added a little rack to hang a couple of roller stands. It was really easy to build. Let me know what you think, and please feel free to reply with similar projects.

Click image for larger version

Name:	BenchToolStorage.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	115.6 KB
ID:	791914
    online at http://www.theFrankes.com
    while ( !( succeed = try() ) ) ;
    "Life is short, Art long, Occasion sudden and dangerous, Experience deceitful, and Judgment difficult." -Hippocrates
  • poolhound
    Veteran Member
    • Mar 2006
    • Phoenix, AZ
    • BT3100

I remember seeing that project. Good Job!

I am sure it will be really helpful in keeping things in their place. Did you also make the related rolling base?
    Jon

Phoenix AZ - It's a dry heat

We all make mistakes and I should know I've made enough of them
    techzibits.com

Comment

• Alex Franke
      Veteran Member
      • Feb 2007
      • Chapel Hill, NC
      • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by poolhound
      I remember seeing that project. Good Job!

I am sure it will be really helpful in keeping things in their place. Did you also make the related rolling base?
      Thanks! No, I haven't made the base yet. I want to see if I can get by without it first. I figure I can always make it later if I need to.

Also as I recall the version in the magazine were mounted to boards that fit over the top of the base (and around the edges). I didn't do it like that because, for example, the lathe only takes up about half the depth, so I can use the other half to store something else.

So we'll see how it goes... it's easily changed if necessary
      "Life is short, Art long, Occasion sudden and dangerous, Experience deceitful, and Judgment difficult." -Hippocrates

Comment

• bigstick509
        Veteran Member
        • Dec 2004
        • Macomb, MI, USA.
        • BT3100

Great use of space, I especially like the idea for the hangers for the roller stands. I've got a half dozen stands that seem to be aways in the way when not in use.

Mike

"It's not the things you don't know that will hurt you, it's the things you think you know that ain't so." - Mark Twain

Comment

• drumpriest
          Veteran Member
          • Feb 2004
          • Pittsburgh, Pa, USA.
          • Powermatic PM 2000

I like it a lot. All of that peg board is promising. I have a couple of "bench" tools that I like, such as that ridgid sander, but boy it's a pain to move. I cannot imagine trying to move my "bench" lathe all of the time. How do you do it?
          Keith Z. Leonard
          Go Steelers!

Comment

• Pappy
            The Full Monte
            • Dec 2002
            • San Marcos, TX, USA.
            • BT3000 (x2)

Great solution to limited space.
            Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
            Fools because they have to say something.
            Plato

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
              The Full Monte
              • May 2007
              • Sunshine State
              • BT3000

I have a friend who built one very similar to yours. He put two cutouts in his permanent work bench to accept the tool mounting plates. He has blank plates to fill the openings when all the tools are stored. Nice deal if you have a space crunch, although he does admit he'd rather just have enough bench space to keep everything tooled up and ready to use. (He swears there's a conspiracy at work to make whatever tool he needs be one that's not already on the bench... )

Comment

• docrowan
                • Mar 2007
                • New Albany, MS
                • BT3100

Looks great! I, too, like the hangers for the roller stands.
                - Chris.

Comment

• lrogers
                  Veteran Member
                  • Dec 2002
                  • Mobile, AL. USA.
                  • BT3000

Nice project for a shop of any size, but especially a small one.
                  Larry R. Rogers
                  The Samurai Wood Butcher
                  http://splash54.multiply.com
                  http://community.webshots.com/user/splash54

Comment

• Knottscott
                    Veteran Member
                    • Dec 2004
                    • Rochester, NY.
                    • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

I need to do that! Thanks for the reminder and the inspiration.....anything you can do to help free up some time? Very nice job!
                    Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

• poolhound
                      Veteran Member
                      • Mar 2006
                      • Phoenix, AZ
                      • BT3100

Originally posted by Uncle Cracker
                      I have a friend who built one very similar to yours. He put two cutouts in his permanent work bench to accept the tool mounting plates. He has blank plates to fill the openings when all the tools are stored. Nice deal if you have a space crunch, although he does admit he'd rather just have enough bench space to keep everything tooled up and ready to use. (He swears there's a conspiracy at work to make whatever tool he needs be one that's not already on the bench... )
                      LOL, I think all of us who are not lucky enough to have a dedicated shop space feel the same way. I know that when I watch Nahm or David Marks I am very jealous, not just of his tool selection, but that they are all setup and ready to go with built in dust collection and all!! He even has 2 jointers a basic 6" and that monster he has which I think is 12" or bigger. I dont even have room for a 6" one and have to make do with my benchtop.
                      Jon

Phoenix AZ - It's a dry heat

We all make mistakes and I should know I've made enough of them
                      techzibits.com

Comment

• LinuxRandal
                        Veteran Member
                        • Feb 2005
                        • Independence, MO, USA.
                        • bt3100

I like your clamps on it. I was thinking of building a smaller version (vertically impaired shop), with a clamp rack or the tool stand on the back side.
                        She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• Bill in Buena Park
                          Veteran Member
                          • Nov 2007
                          • Buena Park, CA
                          • CM 21829

Great concept and nice work. Think I need one of those as well.
                          Bill in Buena Park

Comment

• Alex Franke
                            Veteran Member
                            • Feb 2007
                            • Chapel Hill, NC
                            • Ryobi BT3100

Thanks for all the great comments!

Originally posted by drumpriest
                            I like it a lot. All of that peg board is promising. I have a couple of "bench" tools that I like, such as that ridgid sander, but boy it's a pain to move. I cannot imagine trying to move my "bench" lathe all of the time. How do you do it?
                            I put the heaviest tools in the middle so I don't have to bend far or climb to reach them. They are heavy, though, so I imagine it will be a bit of a hassle, but we'll see how it plays out. It's probalby not too often that I'll have more than one or two of these out at a time.

The sander is actually the lightest of the bunch, but the problem with it is all those parts stored on the front -- I need to keep it more upright when moving it...

I would definately prefer the actual bench space. But I think there will also be a benefit to having a rolling pegboard!

Comment

• billwmeyer
                              Veteran Member
                              • Feb 2003
                              • Weir, Ks, USA.
                              • BT3000

That looks great! I have been thinking of doing something like that for several years. I was worried about the mobility part. Is it stable, not top heavy and are there any racking problems? My thoughts were to make it stationery, and make a mobile cart that would slide in the bottom part sideways. What are your thoughts on this?

Great job.

Bill
                              "I just dropped in to see what condition my condition was in."-Kenny Rogers

Comment

Working...