• Show
Clear All
  • jonathan55
    Established Member
    • Jun 2005
    • Cleveland, Ohio, USA.
    • BT3100

Lumber Rack

Hi, I haven't posted for a while but am still a BT3 owner!

I'd like to see how people here store lumber. I have gotten enough so it just doesn't seem to work to lean it against the wall any more. I was thinking about the Lumber Rack on sale at Woodcraft but am also thinking about makeing something with 2x4's.

Please post pics of how you store lumber,

Thanks,
    Jonathan
  • LarryG
    The Full Monte
    • May 2004
    • Off The Back
    • Powermatic PM2000, BT3100-1

I can't help a whole lot, but FWIW ...

This is a very old picture of the materials storage room in my previous shop building. I've now moved my tools out of the adjacent room into another, nearby building; but I still use this room to store some of my wood.

The room measures a bit shy of 12' long by 6' wide. Lumber goes onto the homemade racks at right (there's another ~5' or so of racks out of frame at front left). The racks consist of 2x4 tapered outriggers that each have a half-lap bolted connection to the bare studs. I can easily get 10' long material onto these racks, and 11' or so if necessary. Small sheet goods went onto the inclined rack you see under the shelf on which the compressor sits -- both the rack and the compressor have now moved to the other building. Large sheet goods were leaned against the long wall at left (I didn't have much big stuff on hand when this particular picture was taken). I now also have some more rough lumber stacked on the floor down the right half of the room.

In an outside lean-to I have three of the Triton wood racks mounted side-by-side on a long wall (i.e., six standards in all, spaced about two feet apart), so they'll hold 12' long material. I don't have a photo of those but the setup looks just like the photo on the Woodcraft web site, times three.

The Tritons are nice enough but they're way overpriced at $70; the current $50 sale price is more reasonable but arguably still iffy. I bought mine when they were on sale for $40, which IMO is probably about what they're worth.
    Last edited by LarryG; 06-18-2008, 02:03 PM.
    Larry

Comment

• gad5264
      Veteran Member
      • Aug 2005
      • Columbus, Ohio, USA
      • BT3000/BT3100NIB

Here is mine.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0025.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	80.9 KB
ID:	783081Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0029.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	95.2 KB
ID:	783082
      Grant
      "GO Buckeyes"

My projects: http://community.webshots.com/user/gad5264

Comment

• LCHIEN
        Internet Fact Checker
        • Dec 2002
        • Katy, TX, USA.
        • BT3000 vintage 1999

This forum is the place to post photos of your completed projects. Please try to limit pictures to 540px wide or less so that is is viewable to all. Off-topic threads in this forum will periodically be purged so as to keep it "clean".
        Loring in Katy, TX USA
        If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
        BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• pelligrini
          Veteran Member
          • Apr 2007
          • Fort Worth, TX
          • Craftsman 21829

I built a 5 x 12 addition to my shop/shed for wood & other storage. These are some shots after putting cleaning up for the night. (I really wish I would have cut into the shed roof and made the addition taller. Saving some money on material and leaving a working roof alone was certainly not worth it)

My rack is just some of the metal shelving stuff from lowes. The wall brackets are space 24" OC, screwed into the wall studs of the shed.

I really ought to sticker the better wood though, I've just been too lazy to do it.
          Attached Files
          Erik

Comment

• thrytis
            • May 2004
            • Concord, NC, USA.
            • Delta Unisaw

I didn't have exposed studs, so i attached 2x4s to the wall with lag screws. The brackets are 2x4s sandwiched by 3/4" plywood and bolted onto the upright supports. There are no brackets on the bottom half because i plan to park a plywood cart there at sometime in the future. I store cutoffs between the upright supports held in by a bungee cord.

Eric

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
              The Full Monte
              • May 2007
              • Sunshine State
              • BT3000

I don't have pictures, but I have a whole wall in my garage populated with double-lug steel racks mounted to concrete blocks, starting just above the nose of my car, and going all the way up (10' ceiling).

Comment

• big tim
                • Mar 2006
                • Scarborough, Toronto,Canada
                • SawStop PCS

Check:
                This forum is the place to post photos of your completed projects. Please try to limit pictures to 540px wide or less so that is is viewable to all. Off-topic threads in this forum will periodically be purged so as to keep it "clean".
                Sometimes my mind wanders. It's always come back though......sofar!

Comment

• footprintsinconc
                  Veteran Member
                  • Nov 2006
                  • Roseville (Sacramento), CA
                  • BT3100

UC, like you said before, no pictures, no rack!

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
                    The Full Monte
                    • May 2007
                    • Sunshine State
                    • BT3000

Originally posted by footprintsinconc
                    UC, like you said before, no pictures, no rack!
                    Sometimes... I got no pix of LOML either, but fortunately she still has a rack...

Comment

• jonathan55
                      Established Member
                      • Jun 2005
                      • Cleveland, Ohio, USA.
                      • BT3100

Thanks for all the replys and ideas! Thrytis, I like the storage for small piece idea under your rack!

Jonathan

Comment

• Tom Clark
                        Forum Newbie
                        • Jul 2007
                        • Deming, NM
                        • Powermatic 66 w/48" sliding table

Jonathan,

Here's a simple wood rack that takes little floor space, yet holds everything.
                        Attached Files

Comment

• Wood_workur
                          Veteran Member
                          • Aug 2005
                          • Ohio
                          • Ryobi bt3100-1

If you're looking for something economical, I've been using heavy shelving brackets from the borg that are height adjustable. I've had like 100 bf of pine cedar and maple on one shelf, and no sign of buckling or failure of any kind.

I'm taking about the less heavy duty version of this guy:
                          Alex

Comment

• jackellis
                            Veteran Member
                            • Nov 2003
                            • Tahoe City, CA, USA.
                            • BT3100

I'm starting to think about storing materials, mostly solid lumber, in my new shop (house should have a roof this week or next if the snow lets up). I do not have suitable covered space outdoors to store lumber that can't be stored inside so there are likely to be shelves for lumber everywhere and then some.

This thread had some very creative designs for lumber racks but I'm curious to know lengths on the arms. It appears most are 12"wide. I'm thinking I'd *like* something wider and I've set aside a space that's 24 inches wide and 8' long on one wall, plus space above some of the machines that will be on mobile bases.

By my rough calculations, 1' wide arms spaced 12" vertically and 16" laterally means each set of rack arms will be supporting 400-500 pounds (at 60-80 pounds per cubic foot, which is what Loring used for his calcs). 24 inch arms will support twice as much, or between 200 and 250 pounds per arm. I've run a bunch of beam calculations and the wood arms in this post appear to be adequate, even if I put all the load at the end of the arm. However, I'm curious about the arm lengths Loring and Big Tim used.

Comment

• bigstick509
                              Veteran Member
                              • Dec 2004
                              • Macomb, MI, USA.
                              • BT3100

Up and out of the way.

Mike

"It's not the things you don't know that will hurt you, it's the things you think you know that ain't so." - Mark Twain

Comment

Working...