• Show
Clear All
  • dbhost
    Slow and steady
    • Apr 2008
    • League City, Texas
    • Ryobi BT3100

Update on my Mini Wall A/C idea...

Just FYI... I have some updates on the progress of the mini wall for my workshop.

I HAD to get some cleaning done in my shop last night. The mini wall has been built for a while, but nothing has been insulated. Until yesterday. Just been too lazy...

So here's the scoop.

Outdoor temp. 104 deg F according to my dashboard thermometer, and the one at the bank. The official weather service temp said 96. RH of about 60%. Unknown temp inside the garage, but HOT is a major understatement. It had to be in the one teens to one twenties.

I came home, dropped the mini wall and window unit in place. I took an old king size sleeping bag that has worn well past its years, and shoved it in the gap over the door, I duct taped old blankets to the insides of the doors, and I shoved old nasty torn up shirts around any visible gaps. Then I cranked the window unit down to 68 degrees, turned on the box fan, and went back in the house for an hour.

When I came back out, the temp was still in the 80's, but CONSIDERABLY cooler than the outside temp, and with the fan blowing, except for the far corner cubby of the workshop, the inside climate was comfortable to clean in.

The Window Unit AC in question is a Goldstar 10K BTU unit, which is barely sufficient for the space involved with ideal insulation. The condensation drain port was pumping condensation runoff as fast as the hole would let it run out. As I worked in the garage for the next two hours, the temp kept steadily, but more slowly climbing down. By the time I turned the system off and came back inside at 9:00 P.M., the temp in the garage / workshop was down to 76 degrees F. The outside temp was still in the mid 90s.

While this is an "only while I work" solution. And the insides of the doors need to be insulated with foam board, and possibly some large pipe wrap to insulate the seams as best as possible, it was effective at not keeping me away from my work during the hottest part of the Texas coastal summer...
    Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.
  • MikeMcCoy
    • Nov 2004
    • Moncks Corner, SC, USA.
    • Delta Contractor Saw

This may have already been posted since I don't recall where I got the link. I think I'm fighting a losing battle till I get the time and/or motivation to move 2k feet of lumber away from my walls and insulate them but I ordered this product yesterday.

Comment

• milanuk
      Established Member
      • Aug 2003
      • Wenatchee, WA, USA.

Good to hear you got your shop habitable again!

My last 'shop' was a 11x22 room with insulated walls, basically under a wing of a 44x44 horse barn. I never did learn to like working with sweat dripping off the tip of my nose so a window-mount A/C unit was a god-send in there during the summer. The only problem was that the 'other' hobby I did in there - hand-loading precision ammo for my long range rifles - required the A/C to be *shut off* for periods of time Not fun!

Hope you enjoy your new found coolness - I love my basement shop for that reason - never cold, never hot. A floor fan and I am plenty cool enough while doing wood working.
      All right, breaks over. Back on your heads!

Comment

• pelligrini
        Veteran Member
        • Apr 2007
        • Fort Worth, TX
        • Craftsman 21829

It's nice to be spoiled.

I am having some regrets about getting my AC working out im my shop though. Most all powered wood cutting is done outside in front of the shed. I was having a hard time Sunday afternoon wanting to leave the confines of the cool shop and make some cuts.
        Erik

Comment

• dbhost
          Slow and steady
          • Apr 2008
          • League City, Texas
          • Ryobi BT3100

Yeah, the garage is nice for that...

Pelligrini. I thought you had a 16x20 Tuff Shed. Or was that someone else?
          Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• pelligrini
            Veteran Member
            • Apr 2007
            • Fort Worth, TX
            • Craftsman 21829

Someone else, mine's a 10x12 little wood box, with too much cra.. er.. stuff inside.

The 15000 btu Kenmore AC unit is in the wall opposite the front double doors. The cold air output is directed right at them. I can leave the doors open and the cool air will hit me at the saw.

I'm not too comfortable doing that though. When standing there in a nice cool breeze, I can feel my dad coming up behind me saying "What are you doing! In or out!" He's been gone for a few years now, but I can still hear things sometimes.
            Erik

Comment

• dbhost
              Slow and steady
              • Apr 2008
              • League City, Texas
              • Ryobi BT3100

LOL...

Okay, I must have been thinking of someone else...

WOW, a 15K BTU unit for a 10x12 shed? I bet that shed gets cold FAST...

It sounds like your shop is sized like Pappy's little playpen...

I actually threw the AC into the door yesterday since my assembly of the band saw sunday had me covered head to toe in sweat, even my socks were drenched...

With all the lifting, moving, and hauling I have been doing lately, with my uh, generous gut, my legs feel like they did back in HS football training on the leg press machine for too long... I have got a SERIOUS case of muscle burn going today...

I did the assembly solo, so I manhandled the frame of the saw, the part they say to get help with, solo... I'm paying for it now...

Comment

• dbhost
                Slow and steady
                • Apr 2008
                • League City, Texas
                • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by MikeMcCoy
                This may have already been posted since I don't recall where I got the link. I think I'm fighting a losing battle till I get the time and/or motivation to move 2k feet of lumber away from my walls and insulate them but I ordered this product yesterday.

http://www.texasgarages.com/insulation.htm
                I see somebody found another way to market Reflectix. http://www.reflectixinc.com/

I was considering running double layers of R-5 foam board, topped with Reflectix on the insides of the doors. I first ran into that stuff when I worked in a home improvement center in college. I like the idea of the stuff...

Comment

• MikeMcCoy
                  • Nov 2004
                  • Moncks Corner, SC, USA.
                  • Delta Contractor Saw

I talked myself out of it and coincidentally we had one of the high temps of the year that afternoon. Even after telling myself there weren't that many unbearable days during the summer, I decided there were enough to nudge me back the other way. This thing came in yesterday and even with the vents just pointed out the window temporarily, it brought the temp down really nce. Murphie is alive and well though as the holes in the window kit for the exhaust and intake hoses are exactly centered on the burglar bars in that window behind the unit. I'll take care of that little detail this weekend.
                  Last edited by MikeMcCoy; 04-15-2009, 09:16 AM.

Comment

• gsmittle
                    Veteran Member
                    • Aug 2004
                    • St. Louis, MO, USA.
                    • BT 3100

Originally posted by dbhost
                    Yeah, the garage is nice for that...

Pelligrini. I thought you had a 16x20 Tuff Shed. Or was that someone else?
                    That would be me. Currently I'm working on putting in the stairs to the second floor. (Gambrel roof.)

I'm still a year away from having electricity out there. Right now I use a 10 ga extension cord from the house and carefully count my amps.

g.
                    Smit

"Be excellent to each other."
                    Bill & Ted

Comment

Working...